997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

got smoked by a GTR this morn!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 10:17 AM
zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !
got smoked by a GTR this morn!

On my way to work this morning and while at a stop light a GTR pulled up behind me. Its a three lane road and about 1/4mile between stop lights. I take off about half throttle to see if he wants to run, and he steps on it and then I do the same. He is coming up on me so strong that he has to change lanes to my left and starts to pass me at a significant rate before we both have to slam on the brake. I was really impressed with his power. When I saw the back of his car I saw that he had after market diffuser and exhaust tips, and it sounded very nice.
Then came another opportunity, we were both at an on ramp stop light which allows two cars to go thru at a time. It was just he and I, with him in the front. This time he didn't out run me like before, but he gained on me to the point of 3 car lengths until we braked at 110mph.
As fun as it was, it was also frustrating that I taken like that.
Dont know what he had done to that car, but the magazine articles show only about a .3 second variance in 0-60 times. But he out ran me as if there was at least a full second between us.
Be aware of these sleepers!

Old 07-27-2010, 10:26 AM
akim47 is infamous around these partsakim47 is infamous around these parts
it's good to see that you kept up. Obviously our cars aren't necessarily designed to keep up with some other cars out there (GT-R, Z06, etc)...

I will say, the GTR is growing on me... at first I didn't like the overall look, but now the car looks like a big bully with a lot of grunt...

Old 07-27-2010, 10:45 AM
sizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond repute
Seriously.. Were you expecting a different outcome?

Old 07-27-2010, 10:55 AM
zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !
[... at first I didn't like the overall look, but now the car looks like a big bully with a lot of grunt...[/quote]

You said it, I felt like I was being bullied around on the road. I guess thats why we are attracted to cars that claim to be the king of the road! I still dont like the way it looks and especially the cheap interior, but I have seen some that were modified and looked really nice.

Old 07-27-2010, 10:55 AM
Taxi! is just really niceTaxi! is just really niceTaxi! is just really niceTaxi! is just really nice
I recently watched an episode of Battle of the Supercars where the GTR beat a 997 TT in straight-line acceleration, so don't feel too bad.

Old 07-27-2010, 11:33 AM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Taxi!
I recently watched an episode of Battle of the Supercars where the GTR beat a 997 TT in straight-line acceleration, so don't feel too bad.
Depending on the driver of the Porsche, the GT-R may or may not beat a 997TT.1. They're very close in performance.

Just like the turbo Porsches, GT-Rs can be modifed very easily and make a lot of power with simple bolt-ons, so...when it comes to the GT-R, unless you're driving a Turbo Porsche (TT, GT2 or Panamera TT), I probably wouldn't mess with them.

Old 07-27-2010, 11:58 AM
silver329 is a jewel in the roughsilver329 is a jewel in the roughsilver329 is a jewel in the roughsilver329 is a jewel in the rough
The battle of the supercars episode had a modified 997.1 Turbo with a full Techart kit driven by Tanner Foust (Sp*) vs the GTR which at least from the screen looked pretty stock driven by Paul Tracy. The GTR spanked the Turbo off the line in a straight line run. I was surprised when I saw it. Having said that, I can't take that clown Tanner Foust very seriously. Tracy is legit.

Old 07-27-2010, 12:20 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by silver329
The battle of the supercars episode had a modified 997.1 Turbo with a full Techart kit driven by Tanner Foust (Sp*) vs the GTR which at least from the screen looked pretty stock driven by Paul Tracy. The GTR spanked the Turbo off the line in a straight line run. I was surprised when I saw it. Having said that, I can't take that clown Tanner Foust very seriously. Tracy is legit.
Ya, whatever happened on the show happened. Without knowing exactly what modifications each car had, and how much power they were making, it's impossible to use it as a template.

But stock for stock with equal drivers, they are almost identical up to 200 km/h. After that, the 997TT runs away from it. Regardless, they are very fast and are deserve a high-amount of respect as performance cars.

http://www.fastestlaps.com/compariso...b80e35715.html

Old 07-27-2010, 12:21 PM
Misanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant future
The turbo was also an automatic so I'm sure Tanner get the launch he would have liked, I would have liked to know if Paul used launch control on the GTR in the race.

Old 07-27-2010, 12:24 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by silver329
The GTR spanked it in a straight line as well as around the track. The TT had a tiptronic. I suspect a 997.2 with PDK would have provided different results.

Old 07-27-2010, 12:25 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
I know someone that traded his 997GT3RS on a 2010 GTR, and although it is faster, he said it is just a Nissan.

Old 07-27-2010, 12:27 PM
NC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant future
As nice as a GTR is, and it is nice (fast, too!), it's still a Nissan.. Not exactly my idea of a car I want to spend the rest of my days driving..

A P-car, on the other hand.. oh, yeah..

Old 07-27-2010, 12:41 PM
Originally Posted by NC 997
As nice as a GTR is, and it is nice (fast, too!), it's still a Nissan.. Not exactly my idea of a car I want to spend the rest of my days driving..

A P-car, on the other hand.. oh, yeah..
+1 agree.

Old 07-27-2010, 12:44 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by NorthVan
I know someone that traded his 997GT3RS on a 2010 GTR, and although it is faster, he said it is just a Nissan.
well, 997.1 TT can be very easily modded to 750 horses that should beat GT-R if such goal has to be pursued. top 997 tt are modded almost to 1200 horses as i read about it, not sure only for how long can it drive like this...

for track info - 7:26.70 is top time for GT-R, Roehl`s gt3 time is 7:42, best gt3 rs time is 7:40. GT2 time is 7:32.

So even if it is a 'nissan' with no stigma, this car apparently can drive.

Did they fix issues with transmision going south on a track?

Old 07-27-2010, 01:02 PM
amag is a splendid one to beholdamag is a splendid one to beholdamag is a splendid one to beholdamag is a splendid one to beholdamag is a splendid one to beholdamag is a splendid one to beholdamag is a splendid one to behold
I also found out that the GTR on that show was modded- it had an aftermarket exhaust, but the 997tt was bone stock.

Originally Posted by Taxi!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.