997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Anybody installed FabSpeed's tips?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 02:31 PM
thealexman is a name known to allthealexman is a name known to allthealexman is a name known to allthealexman is a name known to allthealexman is a name known to allthealexman is a name known to all
Originally Posted by GraSox
Do the AWE tips stick out further than the stock ones?
TIA
I believe the answer is yes, but I'm coming from the single tip C4 rather than the dual tip of the S models. I know they stick out a touch farther my stock tip did.

-Alex

Old 08-03-2010, 02:44 PM
PHOENIX RISING is infamous around these parts
Alex,

Did you consider the Techart tips? Have you seen those in person, and can you compare them to the Fabspeed tips?

Old 08-03-2010, 03:00 PM
Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by GraSox
Do the AWE tips stick out further than the stock ones?
TIA
The Fabspeed tips definitely do - about 1/2" w/ stock cans. If combined w/ their Maxflo cans, they stick out ~ 1.5" from the rear fascia (on my 997 C2S). Not obnoxiously so but they are pronounced - not tucked under the fascia like stock tips. I presume similar results w/ AWE tips but maybe not as far out. Difference being the securing collar: Fabspeed's collar is built in like the OEM tips whereas AWE tips use an aircraft style adjustable clamp which slides on. So AWE may save 1/2" or so there. Otherwise, save the AWE engraving, they appear [almost] identical:

Fabspeed Tips:

AWE

Old 08-03-2010, 09:57 PM
mfm3 is infamous around these parts
Just purchased these off ebay for $220 shipped (I won with a best offer). I bet them you could make a best offer of $200 and get them. Anyway, I knew I was taking a chance because the ebay pic showed the tips sticking out quite a bit on a 997.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...Q5fAccessories

They are mounted on a Fabspeed exhaust (purchased used from a fellow forum member) and had to do some work to get the tips tucked in as much as possible. Notice the sawzall cut in the last pic where the tip comes in contact with the bend of the exhaust pipe. I'm not totally happy with amount the tip showing but decided to keep them on for a while and see if they grow on me. Sorry about the poor quality pics.

Last edited by mfm3; 08-03-2010 at 10:02 PM.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:04 PM
thealexman is a name known to allthealexman is a name known to allthealexman is a name known to allthealexman is a name known to allthealexman is a name known to allthealexman is a name known to all
Originally Posted by PHOENIX RISING
Alex,

Did you consider the Techart tips? Have you seen those in person, and can you compare them to the Fabspeed tips?

I did not. When i got the full AWE exhaust setup, I kept it all in the family. I actually have not personally seen the Techart or Fabspeed tips...but they make top quality stuff, so I wouldn't be surprised if they were both pretty awesome.

-Alex

Old 08-04-2010, 08:04 AM
Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mfm3

I think they look perfect!

Last edited by Burg Boxster; 08-04-2010 at 08:06 AM.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:43 PM
griffinto is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by NC 997
Sweet.. very sweet indeed.. Since my car is Artic Silver, I'm thinking about going with their black chrome tips.. and maybe the "911" badge in black.. maybe..

Yup, I'm the same guy who started the "Stock - is it ony me" thread... I'm weak..

Thanks for the post and the photo.
Is one slighter longer than the other or the both the same size?

Last edited by griffinto; 03-15-2012 at 09:46 PM.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:32 PM
Sterlingc1975 is infamous around these partsSterlingc1975 is infamous around these parts
Cant go wrong with FABSPEED great products.. Use them all the time..

Old 03-16-2012, 07:47 AM
Originally Posted by griffinto
Is one slighter longer than the other or the both the same size?
On my Fabspeed tips, both per side are pretty much same size but they are staggered in set up to follow rear bumper fascia's contour. OEM are staggered too (maybe a little bit more offset) and one is longer than other.

Fabspeed:

OEM:

Attached Images   
Old 03-16-2012, 08:58 AM
RaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Burg Boxster
x2 - they get dirty extremely fast even in dry weather! They look sharp as anything when cleaned and polished...

here are mine at speed...

Look good...but the cleaning all the time bugged me so I went with black ceramic coated OEM's for $ 60.00. Goes with the look of my car.

Attached Images  
Old 03-16-2012, 04:01 PM
NC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant future
When I started this thread a year and a half ago, I was ready to pull the trigger and buy a pair of FabSpeed's tips.

However, before I did that I thought I'd pull the stock tips and have them powdercoated in "Black Smoke" powder. It's translucent.. looks like black chrome in a way.

The powdercoat cost me $35.. the tips are well north of $5Large.. I think I'll stay with what I have.. After 8K miles, they look as good now as the day I installed them.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:51 PM
Former Vendor
Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !
Thanks for all the feedback guys, your cars look great with the tips. It adds a nice aggressive look to the rear end. If anyone has any questions or is interested in a set, PM me for special member pricing.
Thanks and enjoy,

Old 03-24-2012, 09:17 AM
mark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by NC 997
When I started this thread a year and a half ago, I was ready to pull the trigger and buy a pair of FabSpeed's tips.

However, before I did that I thought I'd pull the stock tips and have them powdercoated in "Black Smoke" powder. It's translucent.. looks like black chrome in a way.

The powdercoat cost me $35.. the tips are well north of $5Large.. I think I'll stay with what I have.. After 8K miles, they look as good now as the day I installed them.
Very nice, I like your plan! Questions...

1) Is it easy to remove the OEM factory exhaust tip? I've never looked underneath and was wondering if its just unscrewing a couple of bolts. I have an '08 C4S
2) who did the powdercoat for $35?

Good decision and nice job!

Old 03-24-2012, 10:37 AM
spyerx is a jewel in the roughspyerx is a jewel in the roughspyerx is a jewel in the rough
I think it's 1 12mm (or 10mm, can't remember) socket. Took me all of about 5 mins to pull both sides of mine on a C2. Loosen the bolt, rock it back and forth a bit and it pulls straight out with a little big of effort. It's a slide on and clamp setup. Super easy. I pulled to polish them. Getting back on and aligned was another 5min job.

Originally Posted by mark12345

1) Is it easy to remove the OEM factory exhaust tip? I've never looked underneath and was wondering if its just unscrewing a couple of bolts. I have an '08 C4S

Old 03-24-2012, 11:01 AM
NC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by mark12345

Thanks for the compliment.

The bolt that holds the tips on is actually a 50mm Torx head bolt, requiring a T50 socket to get 'em off w/o screwing up the bolt (my car is a base Carrera; I assume the bolt that holds the "S" tips on is the same, but you might check it out). I bought a set of el-cheapo Torx sockets at Auto Zone for just a few bucks. If you have a Harbor Freight or Northern Tools store nearby, you can probably pick up a set for less than what I paid.

If you lay down next to the tip, you can see the bolt. Remember, "righty-tighty -- lefty-loosy".. (J/K.. ).

My buddy Roger at Final Touch Powdercoating did the tips. He's a retired Air Force NCO, so he understands 'attention to detail'. He's done more parts for me than I care to remember (from my custom bike building days).

Call him and kick it around if you'd like, then you can send him the tips, and he'll turn them around in no time (the guy works 7 days a week).

http://www.finaltouchpowdercoating.com/

Good luck!