997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

OCD Oil Change on the Red Dragon

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 01:22 AM
motosport3 is infamous around these partsmotosport3 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by PorscheUSA
Thanks for all the great info. I have learned so much about oil that the local auto supply store probably think I am nut!

1. Where can you buy Castrol Syntec 5W40?
2. Would you please check your tools and let me know the proper socket and hex bit size for 997S? (I used a friend's tool to do my first oil change recently. I used 27mm socket for the filter wrench and 8mm hex bit for the drain plug. They seem to fit fine. But, I would like to make sure they are the correct ones before I purchase my own tools.)

Thanks,
Jim
+1. I'd like to know what the proper sizes for the tools as well. Can these sizes be confirmed?

Where did you purchase the metal filter socket (to remove the filter housing)?

Thanks for the great post Jason!

Old 09-06-2010, 12:21 PM
motosport3 is infamous around these partsmotosport3 is infamous around these parts
FYI..the filter socket is an Oil Filter "B" Cap Wrench (from Autozone) or a "7" super graphite one (from Kragen).

I ended up just buying a hex bit set from Sears. It's either a 7mm or 8mm hex bit.

I have the kit on order from LN Engineering.

Old 09-06-2010, 04:58 PM
RF5BPilot is just really niceRF5BPilot is just really niceRF5BPilot is just really niceRF5BPilot is just really niceRF5BPilot is just really nice
So....what is keeping the adapter on the engine? Is it going to come off when you remove the oil filter -- and then you have to separate the two?

Old 09-06-2010, 06:04 PM
JEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by RF5BPilot
So....what is keeping the adapter on the engine? Is it going to come off when you remove the oil filter -- and then you have to separate the two?
The filter screws onto the adapter and then the adapter screws onto the engine.... works great, lasts a long time

Jason

Old 09-12-2010, 09:38 PM
M3GT3RS is infamous around these parts
so which filter are you using? and your reasoning as to why it's better

Old 09-12-2010, 09:46 PM
JEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by M3GT3RS
so which filter are you using? and your reasoning as to why it's better
Its a NAPA race filter with metal and fiber filter elements that are much better and sturdier than OE paper filters.

Jason

Old 09-16-2010, 11:23 AM
dsanto is infamous around these parts
Just finished an oil change on my 09S and it was easy. This post helped and other than letting the oil drain for 30+ minutes the longest part was putting the oil back in 1qt at a time.

Old 10-02-2010, 06:20 AM
gshap is infamous around these parts
Filter Size

Hello there so what is the filter kind and size that would screw on to this adapter.?

Old 10-02-2010, 10:05 AM
Originally Posted by gshap
Hello there so what is the filter kind and size that would screw on to this adapter.?
All you need to know is here:

https://www.lnengineering.com/spinonfilteradapter.html

Old 10-23-2010, 06:07 PM
Jay Jones is a splendid one to beholdJay Jones is a splendid one to beholdJay Jones is a splendid one to beholdJay Jones is a splendid one to beholdJay Jones is a splendid one to beholdJay Jones is a splendid one to beholdJay Jones is a splendid one to behold
Hey guys, I installed the LN Engineering Race Filter Conversion Kit today. I took the car to my independent mechanic to let him handle the job. With the fantastic DIY instructions from JEllis, I had planned on doing it myself. But, it just seemed easier, cleaner and simpler to pop it up on the lift for the oil change.

I was able to source some Mobil 1 5W-50, so I went that direction instead of the Mobil 1 0W-40 I normally use. My well respected indy was very happy that I showed up with 5W-50, so I feel great with that decision.

My mechanic did have one observation that I wanted to share. He felt that the Napa screw on filter that was included with my adapter was a little small. We ended up using it because I didn't feel like running around searching for a larger one. But, my guy felt I should use a slightly wider and longer screw on filter for my next oil change. There is enough clearance to accommodate a slightly larger filter than the one LN Engineering provided.

Jay

Old 10-25-2010, 11:32 AM
So

Hello Jay Jones how is the car running with this install?

Old 10-26-2010, 12:20 AM
Jay Jones is a splendid one to beholdJay Jones is a splendid one to beholdJay Jones is a splendid one to beholdJay Jones is a splendid one to beholdJay Jones is a splendid one to beholdJay Jones is a splendid one to beholdJay Jones is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by gshap
Hello Jay Jones how is the car running with this install?
Runs perfectly! No leaks, no problems, all good!

Old 10-26-2010, 07:36 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Jay Jones
My mechanic did have one observation that I wanted to share. He felt that the Napa screw on filter that was included with my adapter was a little small.

Jay
has he suggested what brand/size filter will be a best fit?
I got this adapter too after reading this, looks like it should be more convinient than a stock filter solution.

Old 10-26-2010, 07:44 AM
Small Filtert

The filter did look a bit small. Not sure if thats ok or not.

Old 10-26-2010, 01:30 PM
Originally Posted by utkinpol
has he suggested what brand/size filter will be a best fit?
I got this adapter too after reading this, looks like it should be more convinient than a stock filter solution.
My guy didn't have a specific recommendation as far as brand and size. He just felt there was room on the adapter for slightly wider filter and also a little longer. Basically, increasing the volume of oil being filtered would be the goal. If you haven't installed the adapter yet, I would take it with you to Napa/Auto Zone etc. Any screw on filter should do the trick, I believe the threading is fairly universal. I would look for a filter that is slightly larger than the LN included Napa one. You would want to make sure it wasn't larger in circumference than the base of the adapter.

It might be worth dropping LN Engineering a phone call or e-mail and picking their brain on this. They may have a specific reason they chose the filter included with the adapter. I simply wanted to relay the observation made by my Porsche mechanic, LN may have a different perspective.

Jay

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: OCD Oil Change on the Red Dragon