997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

OCD Oil Change on the Red Dragon

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 12:07 PM
na011 is just really nicena011 is just really nicena011 is just really nicena011 is just really nicena011 is just really nice
Originally Posted by Musclehedz101
This is what I bought last year but for the life of me can not find link to place i bought it from here in USA. It was under $30.00 and fits Porsche oil filter perfectly.

Oil Filter Cap Wrench Info:
WOLF'S HEAD model WH-903 L

Also has wing nuts on sides in case you need to use with slightly smaller oil filter casing.

BTW, I also bought LN Magnetic Drain plug w/ Oil filter spin-on adapter and will be installing at next oil change along with changing to Castrol 5W-40 from Mobil 1 0W-40.
Wolf's Head:
http://www.toolsland.com/product-en-...+WH+903+L.html

Old 10-28-2011, 12:37 PM
alpine-al is a glorious beacon of lightalpine-al is a glorious beacon of lightalpine-al is a glorious beacon of lightalpine-al is a glorious beacon of lightalpine-al is a glorious beacon of lightalpine-al is a glorious beacon of light
Here's a link to another less expensive oil filter wrench that perfectly fits the Porsche oil filter housing. I bought one. Approx $22 including shipping. ZDMak is in Florida (not Thailand).

http://www.zdmak.com/wbstore/main.as...=M0093B&CTMP=1

Old 01-05-2012, 06:59 AM
MBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by JEllis
I posted a while back that I would post my OCD oil change procedures.

The advantages of providing your M96 based engine with the best clean lubricants cannot be emphasized enough. The research performed by LN Engineering and backed up by Excellence magazine shows that the leading cause of IMS bearing failure and subsequent IMS failure is poor oil quality. There are many factors to consider from the type of oil you use to the frequency in which you replace it.

Do not believe the hype, Mobil 1 Euro blend is not the best oil you could be feeding your M96/7. And, 15K between oil changes is ridiculous.

So, to make sure I was giving my engine the best, I contacted LN Engineering and they provided me with their race filter conversion kit, magnetic drain plug, and advice on which oil to use.

First, I cannot express how easy it is to change your own oil. Save yourself $100 and do it yourself. The tools I purchased to complete this DIY paid for themselves after the first two oil changes and may be saving me an engine change later in life.

Tools I needed: Low profile jack or ramps, filter socket, hex bit in appropriate size, oil pan, and socket wrench. Electrical tape on your socket will protect your wheels for removal and is much cheaper than purchasing rubber coated sockets.

You guys that are doing the "wood plank trick" to get your floor jacks under your car really need to pick up one of these low profile jacks. My car is very low and I still have room to play with.

Suspension **** courtesy of GMG....

Race Filter, LN Adapter, new filter socket from Kragen ($5)

The Race filter just screws onto the adapter

Magnetic drain plug compared to stock

Oil of choice

When tightening the filter and drain plug, think hand tight. These do not have to be super tight and you DO NOT want to strip the threads on your engine block.

Nice looking metal filter is probably much more durable than the stock plastic housing

As far as adding oil goes. I would put in 8 quarts initially and then start the car and allow the engine to work up to operating temps. Shut down and get a reading. You are probably only 1/4 to 1/2qt's low at this point. The M97 has a 9qt system but you will only be able to drain just over 8qts. The rest is "trapped" oil. I over-filled every time so take my advice about the 8qts first. But, if your like me, and "over guess" how much you need to replace, just undo the filter again. The filter holds about 1/2qt. Much easier than redoing the whole process.

Finally, if you really want to get in the weeds you can cut open your stock filter and check for metal deposits. According to Excellence Magazine, pepper grain size metal deposits are normal but cracked pepper sized deposits may indicate a problem.

I think the pics tell the story but if you have any questions let me know.

Jason
Realize this thread is a few years old, but does anyone have any pictures of the procedure. LN install would help too.

Old 06-09-2012, 07:39 AM
caddsource is infamous around these parts
Thumbs up Great Write-Up - Thanks for Sharing

I am a new owner of a 2008 997 and enjoyed your great advice and DYI photos for the free flow oil filter upgrade. Just purchased one from a local mechanic who rep's LN Engineering parts. Any advice on preferred brake fluids?

Old 06-09-2012, 09:36 AM
Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !
LN no longer recommends the Castrol Syntec...

Old 06-08-2013, 02:57 PM
Jack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by JEllis
When tightening the filter and drain plug, think hand tight. These do not have to be super tight and you DO NOT want to strip the threads on your engine block.
Jason or others - going all the way back to the first post on this one. I'm looking to change the oil as a first time DIY today on my 997.1 C2S. I have the LN oil filter adapter, magnetic drain plug, and their current recommended filter - I think NAPA Gold 1042. I have a 1/2 torque wrench for track use, but I was planning to buy a 3/8" and 1/4" for the tool set, and for this job in particular. I ended up with just a 3/8" bc that's all they had at Lowe's yesterday. (side note - killer deal on great torque wrenches. 50% off for 3/8 and 1/2 inch and the Kobalt versions seem WAY better than my 1/2 Craftsman.)

Here are the questions:
- my new 3/8" wrench goes from 20-100 ft/lbs. The LN magnetic plug has a sticker on it that specifies 19 ft/lbs. Is 20 close enough, and should I expect it to be accurate on a $80 retail torque wrench, at the bottom of it's scale?

- or - are you serious above where you say "think hand tight"? I don't have hex sockets (yet) but I do have long, sturdy hex wrenches. should I / Can I use those to remove the drain plug and replace with the magnetic one? Just hand tight? I also don't have a standard Oil filter wrench (yet). Should I / Can I hand tighten the filter to the adapter to the block?

I should confess that I have a history of over-tightening when 'hand-tighten' is specified, but at least I understand and acknowledge that deficiency.

I figure I need the oil filter socket anyway and I'll probably need it to remove the filter, even if I hand-tighten it this time. I'm not so much cheap as lazy.

- Should I buy the hex socket and oil filter wrench now for this install?
- Should I buy a torque wrench with a lower scale?

Old 06-09-2013, 12:29 PM
Jack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant future
Just to post a follow-up:
I changed my oil today for the first time. Thanks for the great write up. A few things:
I bought the LN filter adapter and magnetic plug. The LN plug and the porsche OEM plug both took an 8mm Allen wrench. I think someone before mentioned it was 8 (OEM) and 10 (LN). Maybe LN changed their design?

Since it wasn't specified anywhere, I torque'd the LN adapter to 50 ft/lbs. I put the new filter and the new drain plug to hand-tight. Actually using my bare hand for the filter, and an allen wrench for the drain plug.

I'll be checking for leaks but so far, so good.

I only needed 8 quarts of oil. I put all 8 in and figured I'd top it off, but it's about 3/4 of the way up the scale, and I decided to get a longer drive in before I add more. I hate over-filling, and I've had it done countless times when I take my 997 and previously my 964 in for oil changes. This is going to be my favorite part of the whole process - no more overfills!!

I bought a 15 quart oil catch pan from Walmart. I've seen where people just old bins or other pans, but this one is great - with a handle, spout, and a removable plug in the top. I can't see how those pans would work for taking the oil in for recycling. Maybe people are just pouring it 'out back'. I'll take mine back to walmart, and this container is really helpful.

Old 10-19-2014, 06:57 PM
malahhaor is a splendid one to beholdmalahhaor is a splendid one to beholdmalahhaor is a splendid one to beholdmalahhaor is a splendid one to beholdmalahhaor is a splendid one to beholdmalahhaor is a splendid one to beholdmalahhaor is a splendid one to behold
Hi guys,
I guess this would be a good thread to ask since few similar have already been asked;
Has anyone ever tried Schaeffer oil. They have 5W-40 which i think should be fine in Chicago winter even if parked outside.
Any thoughts?