997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Porsche 997 C2S vs. Honda Accord cost of ownership? (Financial and Mental)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 01:57 PM
cb333 is infamous around these parts
Porsche 997 C2S vs. Honda Accord cost of ownership? (Financial and Mental)

997 costs more to own, and it's more fun to drive. There I answered your question. do you want to compare mickey Ds vs nobu sushi? let me know I can help

Old 08-05-2010, 02:01 PM
PHOENIX RISING is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by JTaylorGT
I sold my S2000 for an '05 997S last year. I love both cars and both have required nothing more outside the routine maintenance. I had the S2000 for 5 years (bought it as an '04 brand new) and never had any mechanical failures. I sold it with 42k miles - it was hard to let go because I know that car would have easily lasted me another 10+ years, but the 997 is definitely an upgrade. Other than paying for a major 40k service (around $1300), it's been a dream to own! The major service is every 4 years so no big deal to me...the 911 has been around 45+ years, so they have grown very reliable IMO.
Sorry to jack the thread, but I have to comment on the former Honda owners. I am also a former S2000 owner here that now owns a 997.1 C2S. TaylorGT, my S2000 was AP1/F20C and I notice that you were an AP2 guy. Interested that we both have an '05 C2S now (although you have the very cool Launch Edition)!!

Oh, and BLUE, I don't think than an S2000's performance is all that comparable to a stock Boxster unless the S2000 is beat to death. My S would rip the paint off a Boxster as I pulled away from it!!!!

Old 08-05-2010, 02:06 PM
Crea is a jewel in the roughCrea is a jewel in the roughCrea is a jewel in the roughCrea is a jewel in the rough
my C4S PDK is actually more fuel efficient than an Accord V6 that I have.

Old 08-05-2010, 06:34 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
After 11 Porsches in 40 years, I recommend you get the Honda. It's really not about cost effectiveness, it's about fun (even though I made money on every used Porsche 911 I ever owned [9]).

ChuckJ

Last edited by ChuckJ; 08-08-2010 at 01:05 PM.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:43 PM
JoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud of
Don't really understand why people ask these questions. Nobody buys a 911 because it's practical and/or economical. People buy a 911 because they want to own a 911 and because they can afford one. Simple.

(sorry for the short and curt reply. sitting at the airport waiting for my delayed flight so a little irked).

Old 08-05-2010, 09:19 PM
Howie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to behold
You know, I remember doing something similar to this when I was like 10 years old... If I liked, say, Car-A a lot, and didn't like what my parents had bought; Car-B, I would try to economically convince the parents that Car-A was superior in this and that sort of way... in a child's mind, the fact that Car-A was 3xCar-B and is totally ludicrous to even suggest such a notion never occurred to me... I was a child!

Of course it never worked. But the rents did give me advice. Study and work hard. Hey, whaddya know? They were actually right for once!

Old 08-05-2010, 09:39 PM
stockid is infamous around these partsstockid is infamous around these parts
Thumbs down

I'd like to compare owning a donkey or a Kentucky Derby winner. Geeze!

Old 08-05-2010, 10:13 PM
tourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud of
Not true, I bought my 911

Originally Posted by JoeShark
Don't really understand why people ask these questions. Nobody buys a 911 because it's practical and/or economical. People buy a 911 because they want to own a 911 and because they can afford one. Simple.

(sorry for the short and curt reply. sitting at the airport waiting for my delayed flight so a little irked).
because it was practical for my life situation (one small child) and about 30k less than the car I was thinking of buying before deciding on the 911.

As for the running costs of the second gen 997, I think they are extremely reasonable. When I drive in a normal manner I get 17 mpg, 1 oil change a year at 200 bucks, and about 1 set of tires at a couple of grand. Maybe this is high compared to a honda but down right cheap when you consider the enjoyment this car brings.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:07 PM
achtung6 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by PHOENIX RISING
Oh, and BLUE, I don't think than an S2000's performance is all that comparable to a stock Boxster unless the S2000 is beat to death. My S would rip the paint off a Boxster as I pulled away from it!!!!
As a former owner of an '05 S2000, I can attest to this! The reason why I won't buy another one is not because it isn't a great car. I believe it is a great car.....the problem is that in order to extract those 240hp you have to drive it like you're mad at it. For an adult, that get tiring so very quickly. Torque changes everything. The M-B C230 Kompressor I had at the time was more satisfying on acceleration in daily driving.

Old 08-06-2010, 08:16 PM
taylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by sizquik
I don't think the answers will be any different over here. You're putting way too much thought into this and will probably give yourself an ulcer.
Funny, but at the same time, well said.

Wow -- the 1st I've seen of Accord vs. 911 in a serious side-by-side. Just pull the trigger on a Hundai and get a good night's sleep.

Old 08-07-2010, 01:10 AM
mrdonut has a reputation beyond reputemrdonut has a reputation beyond reputemrdonut has a reputation beyond reputemrdonut has a reputation beyond reputemrdonut has a reputation beyond reputemrdonut has a reputation beyond reputemrdonut has a reputation beyond reputemrdonut has a reputation beyond reputemrdonut has a reputation beyond reputemrdonut has a reputation beyond reputemrdonut has a reputation beyond repute
OP: from your post it sounds like you should get the Honda. If you are seriously concerned about that level of ownership cost, then I don't think you will sleep well buying a Porsche. And as another poster mentioned, you don't seem to be accounting for depreciation.

I hope this doesn't sound mean, but I'm pretty sure most of us don't even know how much we pay in insurance off the top of our heads...

Old 08-07-2010, 02:49 AM
simsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by mrdonut
I hope this doesn't sound mean, but I'm pretty sure most of us don't even know how much we pay in insurance off the top of our heads...
Uh... <mumble, mumble> No.

Not a clue. By golly, you're right. And I like to think I keep track of things pretty well. I do remember writing checks when Cindy is sick, but those could have been the homeowners insurance for all I know.

If you have to worry about it, you shouldn't be buying this car.

Gary

Old 08-07-2010, 03:57 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SeanInLA
Tried asking this over on Rennlist, but there are just way too many mean and spiteful people posting there.
After reading your responses on the multiple boards you posted to, I'm not sure anyone has really given you an answer (although there seems to be plenty of social commentary.) You will find this link helpful:

http://www.porsche.com/usa/accessori...anceintervals/

After reading this, call a dealership's service department and get a price quote on minor and major maintenance.

If you have very basic technical skills, most service can be done easily in your garage with very basic tools or with a minimal investment. Minor maintenance should cost about $75 for an oil change and $40 for brake fluid.

If you have above average technical skills, spark plugs need to be done every 4 years (every 2 on my GT2.) They are not very easy to get to like a front engine vehicle, but do-able by a DIY'er. Otherwise a dealership will drop the engine for you and do it for ~$750-1000.

Similar for the drive belt at 6 years. Unless you track your car, transmission fluid/final drive does not need to be changed (per Porsche) for 12 years.

bob

Old 08-07-2010, 07:45 AM
taylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond repute
For the record, I'm serious about the Hyundai. Car & Driver thinks so too:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...mparison_tests

Old 08-07-2010, 08:42 AM
sizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by taylorcoleman
For the record, I'm serious about the Hyundai. Car & Driver thinks so too:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...mparison_tests
It truly is a great car. I can only imagine how many eyes rolled when you first posted that.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Porsche 997 C2S vs. Honda Accord cost of ownership? (Financial and Mental)