997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Who bought their 997 w/ the "you only live once" attitude?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 03:02 PM
BMWGator is infamous around these parts
To the OP, would recommend you save some more. Buying a P-car and STILL living with your parents is EXTREMELY disrespectful.

When you're in a position to move out on your own and support yourself, then by all means, buy all the P-cars you want and do whatever the hell you want to do!

Old 08-08-2010, 04:25 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
You don't want to be the 30 year old poser who lives with the 'rents and drives a hot car. No one wants to be that guy. That's pretty much 70% the population of E90Post.
It's about 90 percent of Miami and they don't even have the BMW.. much less a Porsche .The OP is far ahead of these guys. In fact compared to them he is a major success.

It's not uncommon to see young adults who are uneducated. unemployed, unhealthy who hang out at the clubs and just party . The car is too expensive but clothes and workouts are cheap . Go to the beach at 11 AM and they are all just hanging out because they overslept an interview . If they work at all it's menial but they love to boast !!!!! They criticize EVERYTHING but even slightest criticism of them send them into a tantrum like rage.
They are like adult babies !!!!

Old 08-08-2010, 04:27 PM
lacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by yrralis1
It's about 90 percent of Miami and they don't even have the BMW.. much less a Porsche .The OP is far ahead of these guys. In fact compared to them he is a major success.

It's not uncommon to see young adults who are uneducated. unemployed, unhealthy who hang out at the clubs and just party . The car is too expensive but clothes and workouts are cheap . Go to the beach at 11 AM and they are all just hanging out because they overslept an interview . If they work at all it's menial but they love to boast !!!!! They criticize EVERYTHING but even slightest criticism of them send them into a tantrum like rage.
They are like adult babies !!!!

Who funds their behavior? If it is Mommy and Daddy then they are to blame as well.

PS. Sorry about the Jersey Shore crew down there. Really, only like 0.0000001% of the population from the Tri-State is actually like that!

Old 08-08-2010, 04:46 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by lacrosse
Who funds their behavior? If it is Mommy and Daddy then they are to blame as well.

PS. Sorry about the Jersey Shore crew down there. Really, only like 0.0000001% of the population from the Tri-State is actually like that!
Part of the problem is that the parents are blamed for everything . I think it's time to stop blaming parents for behaviors of adult children .
Parents do play their role in this drama but this trend begins when even they are younger and whever something goes wrong the "where's the parents" echoes out . The truth is that the parents are busy working and when the kid gets in trouble the legal system coddles and nurtures his behavior until he reaches 18 . The parent has to go to parenting class and counseling while psychologists empathize and coddle with the disruptive teen . By 18 he has no skills . dropout of school , and is far behind . Many of these young adults don't even finish high school .. not that it matters to them because when they are 30 they still have their parents or their cousin or some other family member who did work hard who tries to rescue them .

They really don't need much money to live . They live at home . They borrow the family car. They have meals cooked for them. Sometimes they even find a girlfriend who supports them or visa versa . Then they move out until that relatuionship fizzles only to come back home .

Even if they make a few bucks a week in a temp job it can buy clothes and drinks at the clubs or a date to the movies. They don't even need to keep the job.

Jersey shore is popular .. because it really does reflect a trend . At least that cast is employed.

Last edited by yrralis1; 08-08-2010 at 04:49 PM.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:02 PM
fanboy is infamous around these parts
I wondered why this thread was so long in such a short time... Anyways, didn't get through the whole thing. I didn't get my 997 until I turned 45. Have a beautiful home, wife, kids, and comfortable life. All of that was more important than a hunk of metal. But... now that I have all of that the car is a welcome reward. I say live your LIFE, but keep in mind not to wait until the end to reward yourself...

Old 08-09-2010, 03:03 PM
steph280 has a spectacular aura aboutsteph280 has a spectacular aura about
Amen.

And I would give up the hunk of metal in a heartbeat if I were to choose between it and my home/family.

Old 08-09-2010, 03:48 PM
winkingchef is a glorious beacon of lightwinkingchef is a glorious beacon of lightwinkingchef is a glorious beacon of lightwinkingchef is a glorious beacon of lightwinkingchef is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by steph280
Amen.

And I would give up the hunk of metal in a heartbeat if I were to choose between it and my home/family.
Don't talk about your wife that way!

Old 08-09-2010, 04:34 PM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
Im afraid I agree. Actually the latter state of cringing. Which is hurling.
I keep thinking that if one substitutes some other random and outrageously expensive luxury item for the Porsche in such a post, one would ask why the inquiry would be send to enthusiasts of said item. I presume it would go to an investment forum, or a personal finance board. And the OP'er would be laughed out of the virtual room.
Which is what, wrapped in a bit of pity-able kindness, is happening here.

Originally Posted by 911nojoke
this thread is making me cringe. sorry.

Old 08-09-2010, 06:22 PM
lacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud of
Part of the problem is that the parents are blamed for everything . I think it's time to stop blaming parents for behaviors of adult children .
Parents do play their role in this drama but this trend begins when even they are younger and whever something goes wrong the "where's the parents" echoes out . The truth is that the parents are busy working and when the kid gets in trouble the legal system coddles and nurtures his behavior until he reaches 18 . The parent has to go to parenting class and counseling while psychologists empathize and coddle with the disruptive teen . By 18 he has no skills . dropout of school , and is far behind . Many of these young adults don't even finish high school .. not that it matters to them because when they are 30 they still have their parents or their cousin or some other family member who did work hard who tries to rescue them .

They really don't need much money to live . They live at home . They borrow the family car. They have meals cooked for them. Sometimes they even find a girlfriend who supports them or visa versa . Then they move out until that relatuionship fizzles only to come back home .

Even if they make a few bucks a week in a temp job it can buy clothes and drinks at the clubs or a date to the movies. They don't even need to keep the job.

Jersey shore is popular .. because it really does reflect a trend . At least that cast is employed.
I am not from the blame parents for everything crowd. All I am saying is that Mom and Dad shouldn't contribute to Jr's lifestyle.

My parents raised me and I have raised my son to work hard for all that you have and enjoy the fruits of your labor. Sadly, that seems in short supply these days.

Old 08-09-2010, 07:56 PM
sticky4 has a spectacular aura aboutsticky4 has a spectacular aura aboutsticky4 has a spectacular aura about
If my 2 cents counts I say sick house then a sick car. Having a Porsche but living at home or in a dump just ain't worth it. Honestly most people will mock you when your not around.

Trust me you'll spend a lot more time home then in the car. Once you move out you'll think you were crazy for even considering it...

And if you meet a girl who is impressed by your car and you try and take her home to your parents, forget it. But if you have a whatever car and take her home to a nice pad you're in.

No matter what car you drive if you live at home your priorities aren't straight. I know a guy with a Phantom who lives at home, go figure...

PS I am a true car die hard but i would sell my Targa in a heartbeat if it was a choice between my car and my house...

Old 08-09-2010, 09:11 PM
My parents raised me and I have raised my son to work hard for all that you have and enjoy the fruits of your labor. Sadly, that seems in short supply these days.
I find the hardest part to understand of the codependent live at home adult child --is losing his independence to sustain it.

It's not the attitude about work ethic that i find most problematic because if one were to interview a line of people buying lottery tickets the first thing that most will say is that they'd quit working. But they would have the financial independence to do so.

The live at home adult child who buys luxury items trades off his freedom . In essence he has imprisoned himself to his own gluttony . His security is veiled by the safety net provided by his parents . In short .. he can never really grow up . That's just too high of a price to pay to own a nice car. Just my opinion.

Old 08-09-2010, 10:33 PM
I find the hardest part to understand of the codependent live at home adult child --is losing his independence to sustain it.

It's not the attitude about work ethic that i find most problematic because if one were to interview a line of people buying lottery tickets the first thing that most will say is that they'd quit working. But they would have the financial independence to do so.

The live at home adult child who buys luxury items trades off his freedom . In essence he has imprisoned himself to his own gluttony . His security is veiled by the safety net provided by his parents . In short .. he can never really grow up . That's just too high of a price to pay to own a nice car. Just my opinion.

I absolutely agree. I guess I intertwine work ethic with the ability to be independent.

I have a friend in his late 30s that still lives at home. He bought a '08 Cayenne only to trade in a year later for a '09 Cayenne GTS. Since he was only into year 1 of his 5 year note imagine the hit he took. He was paying between $1,800 and $2,000 a month for the GTS. That will get you a very nice condo or a reasonable small house here on the Island.

Well as you can imagine, it was too much for him (even living at home) and he had to sell it. He now has a 06 LR Freelander that he is looking to unload to purchase a '10 LR4. Some folks just don't learn.

And if I were fortunate enough to win the lottery, would I quit working? Hell no, I would be bored. I would have to do something constructive.

Old 08-09-2010, 11:57 PM
NewSong is a name known to allNewSong is a name known to allNewSong is a name known to allNewSong is a name known to allNewSong is a name known to allNewSong is a name known to all
That type of attitude permeates through the youth of this generation, they have no concept of "delayed gratification".

It's the same attitude that had people "buying" $1.2 million dollar homes for no money/interest only loans.

Live for today, let tomorrow pay for it.

Old 08-10-2010, 12:13 AM
Lysoleverywhere is just really niceLysoleverywhere is just really niceLysoleverywhere is just really niceLysoleverywhere is just really niceLysoleverywhere is just really nice
Stay out of debt. Cars are terrible investments. I bought a new Lotus when I was 24 with the "you only live once" attitude and only had regrets because I could never do anything due to having to make that high payment. I could have traveled the world for the money I spent on that stupid car.

I now only borrow money to free up cash for investments that yield more return than the interest I pay.

for every $1,000 I borrow...say at 4-6% interest
I make sure I have $1,500 in an investment earning 6-12%.

Has served me well so far and still allows me to splurge "a little"

Old 08-10-2010, 09:37 AM
JohnAMG is infamous around these parts
The OP reminds me of the brothers in the movie,"The Night At The Roxbury". At the least the characters in the movie are motivated enough to start their own night club. I need to make sure I raise my children properly so they don't pull the same crap as the OP.

John

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Who bought their 997 w/ the "you only live once" attitude?