997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Atlanta dealer service - Jim Ellis or Hennessy?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 08:43 AM
kts996 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by smshirk
I can highly recommend Jim Kimmey at european imports on lawrenceville-Suwanee rd. I-85N exit 111. I have three Porsches from 3 different eras and engines in three different spots. He has expertise on all three. His only limitation may be the latest PIWIS system, so if you have a 991/981, he might not have the latest diagnostic software. He also may have bought it by now. I don't have a new model so I haven't asked lately. He told me it was ~30k and since 991s are all still under warranty it just doesn't make sense for him to invest in the newest version diagnostics.The last time I talked to him about was about a year ago.

If you have any Porsche 997 and older, he is honest, knowledgeable, and reasonably priced. I've been using him for over 10 years. He's not the fastest guy in the world but if you need your car right away he'll get it out as fast as he can. If you're like me, with multiple cars, and he knows you have other transportation he might put others in front of you. Personally I see that as a positive, but just to disclose everything I know about his business. In 10 years I've had one problem that required taking the car back in and I have had as many as 5 Porsches at once during that time, so you can imagine how many times I've been there Put your own extra floor mat, or an old throw rug down. He has some employees that will move your car with dirty boots some times. That's the only negative I can think of. Jim is the owner, but he does all the Porsche work himself, other than oil changes etc. His employees do the BMW, MBZ Volvo stuff.

As far as Jim Ellis, I have had bad things to say about them in the past, but I recently had no choice but to use them for a windshield replacement. They didn't go the extra mile to find a hard to find windshield for me, but once I located it at a Porsche dealership in Oregon, had it shipped to Jim
ellis, they were really good at getting it installed by a third party and treated me very well. Ryan, the service writer/manager is a top notch guy. The dealership in Oregon got the windshield for me out of germany and charged $270 less than the price Jim Ellis quoted before telling me they couldn't get one. It was for a 968 Cabriolet, with antenna and tint, so a pretty rare bird of a windshield. None of the glass companies around town would touch it, but to Jim Ellis' credit, Ryan's in particular, he made sure it was done right by the guy that does all of their glass work. He could have blown me off since I bought the parts from another dealer and he knew where I got it. It took me 6 months all told to get it done, but even after paying UPS to ship it from Oregon to Atlanta, I saved 150 bucks on the windshiled. Installation was close to the cost of the windshield though, which didn't surprise me, but I had no other choices, except Hennessey and they are just too faR away from home or work to use them. Good luck
thanks if i dont find someone closer ill holler at them

we are in the mountains the biggest issue is getting the car that far

Old 11-25-2013, 11:08 AM
jeffrec is infamous around these parts
Here's another thought, I purchased my 2009 C2S at Jim Ellis in 09/12, however, have only had my service work done at Freed Performance in Cumming. Sean Freed is a former service tech at Hennessy Porsche with over 15 years of experience. He carries all the same certifications as when he worked for Hennessy and charges half what the dealerships charge. I had my 4 year/40K mile service done there and also had a Sharkwerks center muffler bypass done there. Great guy, great price, Porsche parts. Oh and I came to find him via the Peachstate PCA members. They also recommend Hennessy for service.

Old 11-25-2013, 12:15 PM
kts996 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by jeffrec
Here's another thought, I purchased my 2009 C2S at Jim Ellis in 09/12, however, have only had my service work done at Freed Performance in Cumming. Sean Freed is a former service tech at Hennessy Porsche with over 15 years of experience. He carries all the same certifications as when he worked for Hennessy and charges half what the dealerships charge. I had my 4 year/40K mile service done there and also had a Sharkwerks center muffler bypass done there. Great guy, great price, Porsche parts. Oh and I came to find him via the Peachstate PCA members. They also recommend Hennessy for service.

Ill have to look and see, but I think that is where I took it some time back, really clean shop and some nice cars inside, they were swamped, said they would get a estimate emailed to us and never heard back from them, heck I would had left the car if they would had let me, it would had been finished by now. Between the little time we have had to deal with this and the forces that be are killing us

I did go borrow a otc code reader just a bit ago and now there is more than misfire codes now with a p1238 manufacture control fuel air metering and p0300 multiple miss Fires

301 cyl 1
306 cyl 6
305 cyl 5
303 cyl 3
304 cyl 4

BTW had it looked at before, cleaned maf, it ran for some time just fine, then started misfire again

Old 11-25-2013, 01:12 PM
BED997 is infamous around these parts
I used hennessy for PPIs. They were thorough and saved me from bad purchases on sight unseen cars- one car with significant accident work that was not disclosed by the seller. Of course it had a clean carfax report...

Old 11-25-2013, 09:14 PM
tkdinga is infamous around these parts
Good Experiences

I've got nothing bad to say about Hennessey as I've shopped there but never purchased or had service work done by them as I live on the other side of town. As for Jim Ellis, I'm on my 2nd Porsche and 4th car purchased from them and have nothing but good things to say about them or the service department. Ryan Hodge, the Service Mgr., is a great guy and the other two Individuals that write service work for them are very nice, smart, and the techs I've met have never missed a beat on diagnosing or even fixing a few things for me w/o even making me wait or writing it up for a fee.

As to Mr. Ellis, I've met and talked to him at various events; seemed like a great person w/nothing but the best interest in their Clients' satisfaction.

Don't count me in the group w/negative opinions on them. Best of luck.

Old 12-03-2013, 11:30 AM
smshirk is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by kts996
Ill have to look and see, but I think that is where I took it some time back, really clean shop and some nice cars inside, they were swamped, said they would get a estimate emailed to us and never heard back from them, heck I would had left the car if they would had let me, it would had been finished by now. Between the little time we have had to deal with this and the forces that be are killing us

I did go borrow a otc code reader just a bit ago and now there is more than misfire codes now with a p1238 manufacture control fuel air metering and p0300 multiple miss Fires

301 cyl 1
306 cyl 6
305 cyl 5
303 cyl 3
304 cyl 4

BTW had it looked at before, cleaned maf, it ran for some time just fine, then started misfire again

If you have a 2000 996 and you live in the N GA mountains, I would recommend that you take the car to Jake Raby and get the IMS upgraded to one of his alternative fixes. He would probably fix whatever is wrong with the car at the same time, although you;ll need to approach that up front. He's pretty backed up right now I'm sure as people ship their cars to him from all over the country. I know he was several months backed up 6 months ago, but if you are in the N GA mountains, he'll get you worked in. I take my 986 up there for service, as I have one of his high performance motors that's worth a lot more than the car. If you haven't upgraded the IMS bearing yet, you really need to anyway. There are several options depending on whether your car is a single or double row shaft. I'm not sure on 2000 models. they made a change mid year in that time frame I'm pretty sure. Jake's shop is just outside of Cleveland, GA. Jake doesn't do ordinary maintenance work. He is an engine builder, but he, along with L&N Engineering have developed several fixes and upgrades for the M96 and M97 motors. He does do the install work for the IMS fixes. Jake is not cheap, but he is worth whatever he charges.

Old 06-09-2014, 03:18 PM
Becker135 is infamous around these parts
Midtown shop

Originally Posted by patrija
I've purchased my P-Cars used, neither from Ellis or Hennessey. I have used both service departments, most recently being Hennessey. I was treated very well at Ellis, but having used Hennessey for the last year would definitely give them the nod as the "gold standard" for service.

Related question ... I'm out of warranty in January and considering moving from dealer service to an independent shop. Hopefully something near the Midtown (live) or Alpharetta (work) area. Recommendations?
This is a late reply, but Martine at Auto Europe is great. I've used him for over 18 years on both Porsche's and M-B's. Honest and very reasonable. His partner Norman does the BMW work and my friends that use him say the same.
Located close to I-85/Piedmont/Cheshire Bridge Road. Good shop.

Old 07-06-2015, 12:19 AM
dreamsound is infamous around these parts
To revie an old thread... I'm doing a PPI for a 2009 911 which I am buying out of state. I saw a comment on Yelp that got me worried. It states that he did his PPI at Hennessy and they told him it was a-ok. When he got his Turbo it needed:

New clutch pressure accumulator
New crankshaft pulley (original had a huge gouge out of it)
New accessory drive belt (original was cracked and worn)
brake pads lmost completely gone

But that is just ONE opinion. I can't find any other reviews.

Is Henessy's PPI pretty basic? Should I look for an independent dealer? Being from California, is hard to trust an independent dealer!