997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

AWE Exhaust Sound -- normal?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 02:29 PM
jca3 is infamous around these parts
AWE Exhaust Sound -- normal?

Just installed AWE mufflers on my 05 997s. Not cats or headers, just the mufflers. They were used, about 1,200 miles old.

I'm not 100% certain I like the sound at low RPMs. Sounds sweet at idle, and awesome at 4,000 RPM and above, but between 2,500 and 4,000 there seems to be a weird "buzziness" to the sound. Around town there's obviously a lot of time spent in that range.

Is this normal?

Old 08-13-2010, 03:28 PM
dndodd is infamous around these parts
I had a complete AWE system and thought it was too loud. Changed to Remus cans and I am happy.

That being said check to make sure the fender support rod is not touching the new AWE muffler. This can be source of unwanted noise.

Old 08-13-2010, 05:22 PM
I'll look, thanks. It does have an almost metallic "tin can" type buzz to the sound, so something might be touching and/or loose.

Old 08-13-2010, 05:29 PM
w00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to behold
I've heard other AWE exhausts and they sounded fine, so might be something loose or rubbing

That said,,,,,nothing sounds as good as Cargraphics

Old 08-13-2010, 09:34 PM
Originally Posted by dndodd
I had a complete AWE system and thought it was too loud. Changed to Remus cans and I am happy.

That being said check to make sure the fender support rod is not touching the new AWE muffler. This can be source of unwanted noise.
I love this site. Indeed the muffler seems to be in contact with the fender support rod. Not fixed yet, but I'm all over it. Hopefully that does the trick.

Old 09-27-2010, 03:59 PM
As it turns out, the fender supports were not the issue. The exhaust itself was failing -- the welds were giving way. I was not the original owner, so didn't even bother to contact AWE about their "lifetime" warranty. Sucks, but I'm fixed and back on the road sounding very sweet.

Attached Images  
Old 09-27-2010, 09:45 PM
Scoper has a spectacular aura aboutScoper has a spectacular aura aboutScoper has a spectacular aura about
Aw man sorry to hear that. Did they just repair the weld - or did you have to spring for new cans?

Old 09-28-2010, 08:06 AM
Ended up doing a repair weld on the existing cans. Hopefully they'll hold for a good while. If they fail again they're coming off for the rubbish bin.

Old 09-28-2010, 09:38 AM
Ian_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by jca3
Ended up doing a repair weld on the existing cans. Hopefully they'll hold for a good while. If they fail again they're coming off for the rubbish bin.
From memory, AWE sleeved that joint to reinforce it on later cans - it might be useful to weld on a couple of 'stabilizer bars' from the pipe to the edge of the can to stop the joint flexing and the weld around it potentially cracking again.

Old 09-28-2010, 11:27 AM
Originally Posted by Ian_UK1
From memory, AWE sleeved that joint to reinforce it on later cans - it might be useful to weld on a couple of 'stabilizer bars' from the pipe to the edge of the can to stop the joint flexing and the weld around it potentially cracking again.
The failure actually was on the edge of the can (not the pipe to can joint). You can see it on the right side of the pic.

Old 09-29-2010, 04:17 AM
Ian_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to behold
Ah, yes... missed that when I first looked

Old 09-29-2010, 08:48 AM
PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jca3
As it turns out, the fender supports were not the issue. The exhaust itself was failing -- the welds were giving way. I was not the original owner, so didn't even bother to contact AWE about their "lifetime" warranty. Sucks, but I'm fixed and back on the road sounding very sweet.
Wow. That's a pretty significant structure failure for cans that are only 1200 miles old.