997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

PDK owners - any accidental shifts?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 06:49 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
PDK owners - any accidental shifts?

I've read the threads about the paddle shifters, but I've only driven the PDK's with the buttons on the steering wheel.

For reference, I hold the wheel properly at 9&3 (like you should), thumbs slightly inboard, resting on the inside of the wheel (on thumb hooks, so as not to lock my thumbs).

I was driving a C2S w/PDK (love the car - but we'll save that for another thread). And while I was pulling out of a driveway, I was turning and I hit the button inadvertently. This happened a couple of times. I wasn't sure how I was doing it, until I paid a little more attention to my holding position while turning the wheel.

Anyway, my question is - have any PDK owners have experienced something similar?

Old 08-18-2010, 07:29 AM
Howie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to behold
It's happened to me once or twice, the last time it did that was when I was coming around a corner. I slowed to enter a corner which was a slow speed off-ramp from a freeway onto a road. The offramp was very bumpy and rutted with badly repaired patches. Mid-corner, I think the front wheels slipped a bit but the steering wheel jerked in my hand causing me to catch it and I accidentally pulled up on one of the buttons. It geared down and made the engine much more sensitive to throttle inputs which didn't help as my feet were bouncing off the pedals due to the bumpy road! Not the most graceful way of coming around the corner.

Old 08-18-2010, 09:47 PM
Lockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant future
It also happened to me more than I was happy with.
It was most annoying when it happened on track days and you accidentally upshift and lose that power when your coming out of a corner. The second the Paddles were available I switched and have never looked back. I am very very happy with the shifting now. You might want to search the topic as there are lots of threads on this.

Old 08-18-2010, 09:53 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
This is exactly why I have the paddle shift wheel. Happened too many time to me at the track, especially at Sebring which is bumpy. After I did this mod I read an article that Walter Rohl prefers the paddles too. Then will attending PSDS Masters Class some of the instructors were talking about the accedental upshifts due to the PDK buttons and that the paddle wheel is much better....I totally agree.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:38 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
I've read the threads about the paddle shifters, but I've only driven the PDK's with the buttons on the steering wheel.

For reference, I hold the wheel properly at 9&3 (like you should), thumbs slightly inboard, resting on the inside of the wheel (on thumb hooks, so as not to lock my thumbs).

I was driving a C2S w/PDK (love the car - but we'll save that for another thread). And while I was pulling out of a driveway, I was turning and I hit the button inadvertently. This happened a couple of times. I wasn't sure how I was doing it, until I paid a little more attention to my holding position while turning the wheel.

Anyway, my question is - have any PDK owners have experienced something similar?

When i first got my car on a sprint I pressed the wrong button . The PDK IGNORED my command . That in itself makes PDK an engine saver.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:38 PM
stockid is infamous around these partsstockid is infamous around these parts

No, but when I first bought the car I thought I was shifting up but shifted down instead.

More importantly I find it's best to wait till I'm on open road to go into PDK. City driving and going in and out of the driveway are in manuel mode. Why go in and out of your driveway in PDK? That is the luxury of the PDK automobile. I can go for good gas milage in the city and open her up on the highway.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:43 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
No, but when I first bought the car I thought I was shifting up but shifted down instead.
it still won't over rev. It will shift agressively as it rev matches the firm downshift but will not go above the rev limits.

Old 08-19-2010, 06:02 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Howie
It's happened to me once or twice, the last time it did that was when I was coming around a corner. I slowed to enter a corner which was a slow speed off-ramp from a freeway onto a road. The offramp was very bumpy and rutted with badly repaired patches. Mid-corner, I think the front wheels slipped a bit but the steering wheel jerked in my hand causing me to catch it and I accidentally pulled up on one of the buttons. It geared down and made the engine much more sensitive to throttle inputs which didn't help as my feet were bouncing off the pedals due to the bumpy road! Not the most graceful way of coming around the corner.
Thanks!
Originally Posted by Lockie
It also happened to me more than I was happy with.
It was most annoying when it happened on track days and you accidentally upshift and lose that power when your coming out of a corner. The second the Paddles were available I switched and have never looked back. I am very very happy with the shifting now. You might want to search the topic as there are lots of threads on this.
I've read a few threads about the paddles, and although I share a preference to them, my wife is on the fence, and I think this just put her over the top (in the direction of paddles).
Originally Posted by mdrums
This is exactly why I have the paddle shift wheel. Happened too many time to me at the track, especially at Sebring which is bumpy. After I did this mod I read an article that Walter Rohl prefers the paddles too. Then will attending PSDS Masters Class some of the instructors were talking about the accedental upshifts due to the PDK buttons and that the paddle wheel is much better....I totally agree.
I didn't even put together the track situations... That could be unpleasant.

Originally Posted by yrralis1
When i first got my car on a sprint I pressed the wrong button . The PDK IGNORED my command . That in itself makes PDK an engine saver.
Amen.... Been there, done that. I was accelerating, going around some corners shifted the wrong way (I'm used to traditional paddles - lol! That's a funny term), trying to down shift into 2nd, while redlined in 3rd. I'm glad the car is smarter than I am.
Originally Posted by stockid

More importantly I find it's best to wait till I'm on open road to go into PDK. City driving and going in and out of the driveway are in manuel mode. Why go in and out of your driveway in PDK? That is the luxury of the PDK automobile. I can go for good gas milage in the city and open her up on the highway.
Sometimes I feel like a nut, sometimes I don't. I think THIS is the luxury of PDK (or any dual-clutch paddle shifter). I've never tried to get anything close that resembles good gas mileage. You're opinion is quite common among the circles of enthusiasts local to me - auto during commute, manual on the open road. Because I don't really have a 'commute' (my work is only 5 miles from my house), I choose pretty much when I want to have some fun, and when I don't. The driveway I was exiting was right onto a 45mph street (friends house).

I appreciate the replies. How easy is this modification?

Last edited by jaspergtr; 08-19-2010 at 09:31 AM.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:47 AM
If you want the paddle mod, your local dealer should be able to do it with ease. New steering wheel so you have to pick which kind...think you can find an assortimate here to choose from.

Old 08-19-2010, 09:32 AM
If you want the paddle mod, your local dealer should be able to do it with ease. New steering wheel so you have to pick which kind...think you can find an assortimate here to choose from.
About how much? (Range)

Old 08-19-2010, 05:46 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !

The transmission is called PDK...you don't go in and out of PDK. I think what you are trying to say is you drive in manual mode in the city and in auto mode on the highway. Yes? No?

Old 08-19-2010, 05:56 PM
Originally Posted by mdrums
The transmission is called PDK...you don't go in and out of PDK. I think what you are trying to say is you drive in manual mode in the city and in auto mode on the highway. Yes? No?
lol! No worries, I knew what he meant.

Old 08-19-2010, 08:24 PM
About how much? (Range)
Suncoast on their site has them for right under $1000. 30minute install time at the dealer.

Old 08-19-2010, 10:50 PM
Are you that guy who corrects people even thow everyone knew what he meant. Please change, don't be that guy who has to correct people. I know that the transmission is called PDK just like it was tiptronic or manuel. Now, you can correct my spelling. But, I forgive you because that habit is hard to change.

But, here is a smile in hopes that you do so.

Old 08-21-2010, 05:11 PM
Perfect5storm is infamous around these parts
Happened to me as well. I just installed the paddle wheel. Love the change. I posted the install pics. The new wheel also is a better match for my interior.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: PDK owners - any accidental shifts?