997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Just can't drive 55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 07:36 PM
mshanler has a spectacular aura aboutmshanler has a spectacular aura aboutmshanler has a spectacular aura about
Slow drivers annoy me. Stupid ones drive me insane.

+1 on upping the rigor of the drivers tests....but I also think state cops should better police erratic drivers, cars need better safety & wear n' tear inspections, the highways of the future need to be revamped for efficiency, the minimum driving age should be raised a few years, and public transportation needs to be improved.

Many of the speed limits in Europe are about the same as the US.....however, there is superior level of driver etiquette and a sense of order. Specifically, Swiss and German drivers are the most disciplined in the world and are educated over more hours to pay better attention to the road. Also, the German police will issue a ticket for a d!ck-move lane change. A car that is falling apart will fail inspection. The highways are purpose built- they have better drainage, bank angles, surfaces, painted road markers (chevrons, arrows, limits), etc.

Not all of Europe is as orderly as Germany (Eastern Europe can be pretty scary), but collectively the Euro-UK drivers are more self-aware than the @#$#@$ dumb@*** on the Mass Pike that was weaving lanes at 90mph with his blinker on, while he was eating a @#$# burger!!!

Originally Posted by nizzoc4s
Truth. The driver's tests here need to get way tougher. In fact it should be a federal mandate

Old 08-21-2010, 07:44 PM
Location: Waltham, MA/Southport,CT/Vero Beach, FL/Grosse Pointe, MI
steve0827 is a name known to allsteve0827 is a name known to allsteve0827 is a name known to allsteve0827 is a name known to allsteve0827 is a name known to allsteve0827 is a name known to all
As someone who just took drivers ed last year, I fully agree. They teach us nothing. I learned everything from the skip barber new drivers class and high performance racing school!

Old 08-21-2010, 07:52 PM
bradyb is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by aaks38
Not to sound anti american, but i think there is a mindset in this country of entitlement, pride and arrogance which extends into driving where people are unnaccepting of cars moving faster than them.
Yep, I agree. These toads that cruise the left lane and refuse to get over are idiots on all levels. Yesterday I was on 85 going up to 101 and came up behind this guy in a nice Audi sedan, smoking a cigar, kicking back - which was all fine and cool - but he had no plans on moving over even after I know he saw me (and he was barely doing the speed limit).

Wow, so much anger.... not really, but this is normal all over the SF Bay Area. Selfish idiots rolling along texting and talking, oblivious to what's around them.

Old 08-22-2010, 10:46 AM
limbo is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by bradyb
Yep, I agree. These toads that cruise the left lane and refuse to get over are idiots on all levels. Yesterday I was on 85 going up to 101 and came up behind this guy in a nice Audi sedan, smoking a cigar, kicking back - which was all fine and cool - but he had no plans on moving over even after I know he saw me (and he was barely doing the speed limit).

Wow, so much anger.... not really, but this is normal all over the SF Bay Area. Selfish idiots rolling along texting and talking, oblivious to what's around them.
Yesterday's fun was dealing with a Hyundai Accent on CA-1 NB from Mill Valley. The person operating the vehicle clearly had very little business being behind the wheel, as evidenced by braking behaviour and average speed (on the brakes through every corner, average entry and exit speed at roughly 10mph). It was little respite that they sped up to 20 through the straight parts.

This driver also passed every. single. turnout, many of which are offered on this road (between Mill Valley and Muir Woods). It was such a display of ignorance that even my passenger commented. All of these antics were made even more ridiculous by the driver's destination - the signs for the prior several miles indicated that all the parking lots were full!

MB

Last edited by limbo; 08-22-2010 at 10:47 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 08-22-2010, 10:57 AM
Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !
Last I recall testing in Europe was not only hard but also not cheap either. I remember my older brother had to study and do a lot of practicing not only go around a track and parallel park. In NJ we have plenty left lane idiots. As much as it might agitate all of us there is only so much we can do. And for this reason I will never buy a big pick up truck because I might consider ramming people out of the left lane LOL
Thank god I leave for work so early there is all of 7 cars on my 30 mile commute

Old 08-22-2010, 01:55 PM
medpilot105 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by steve0827
As someone who just took drivers ed last year, I fully agree. They teach us nothing. I learned everything from the skip barber new drivers class and high performance racing school!
Frickin' hats off to you, my man! Well done at going to Skip Barber at your age. I wish I did that when I was 17yo. That's fantastic.

Old 08-22-2010, 03:32 PM
lucas997 has a spectacular aura aboutlucas997 has a spectacular aura aboutlucas997 has a spectacular aura about
Thought I was the only one feeling this way about people wanting to 'hang out' on the road. You guys have given me hope for the future, thank you.

Old 08-24-2010, 09:43 AM
drspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by limbo
I call this the "rolling roadblock" syndrome or "mobile chicane" , whichever you prefer.

Drives me batty. It's made worse by the way the CHP patrol the freeways.

MB

+1 "road cholesterol"

Old 08-24-2010, 09:54 AM
997 rolls is a glorious beacon of light997 rolls is a glorious beacon of light997 rolls is a glorious beacon of light997 rolls is a glorious beacon of light997 rolls is a glorious beacon of light997 rolls is a glorious beacon of light
If drivers ed and state testing were only in sync (teaching the importance of left lanes are for passing etc) with what is real on the road it might change. I doubt the state police care if people drive slow in the fast lane, they probably see this as a way of keeping the speeders at bay.

Like others here, I have been spoiled to drive in certain European countries where drivers are well educated and use the left lane for passing.

Patience behind the wheel is a real problem at times - there are so many idiots and dangerous drivers it's not even funny. How about mini-van drivers on the phone... notice I didn't say women (trying to be PC) drivers. They are among the worst.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:08 AM
drspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by 997 rolls
If drivers ed and state testing were only in sync (teaching the importance of left lanes are for passing etc) with what is real on the road it might change. I doubt the state police care if people drive slow in the fast lane, they probably see this as a way of keeping the speeders at bay.

Like others here, I have been spoiled to drive in certain European countries where drivers are well educated and use the left lane for passing.

Patience behind the wheel is a real problem at times - there are so many idiots and dangerous drivers it's not even funny. How about mini-van drivers on the phone... notice I didn't say women (trying to be PC) drivers. They are among the worst.
Maybe some other boardmembers can confirm this - I've heard that in Germany you loose points on your driving test for turning the steering wheel while the vehicle is stationary!! (excessive wear & tear on the power steering pump)

If that's true, it gives you an idea of the disparity between a european and U.S. driver's test....

"You're traveling down the highway when you realize that you are about to pass your exit, you:

a. Slow immediately and cut across the highway to try to make the exit;
b. Gently pull over to the shoulder and stop. Then, with caution, reverse to the exit you missed; (this is the real life answer for some LOL)
c. Speed up to the next exit. Get off the highway and go back to the exit you missed;
d. Maintain your speed and take the next exit, exit the roadway and stop to determine how best to get back on course.

That's an actual question!

Old 08-24-2010, 10:36 AM
gravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 997 rolls
I doubt the state police care if people drive slow in the fast lane, they probably see this as a way of keeping the speeders at bay.
No speeders = no revenue. Speeding benefits law enforcement more than it harms them.

Old 08-24-2010, 12:44 PM
Drummer is infamous around these parts
I commute 25 miles each way by the highway from 5-7 days a week. I use to go on low 80s and when straight low 100s. But when cops around I go 65 (annoying). When driving the C55 then from 75-90s.

Old 08-24-2010, 04:30 PM
JTaylorGT has a spectacular aura aboutJTaylorGT has a spectacular aura about
I usually find a way to hit 100+ mph about once a week - otherwise, I'm just not getting my money's worth with this car . . .

Old 08-24-2010, 05:57 PM
phaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond repute
I agree with almost every post in this thread. Good to see that there is still hope for the USA.

Old 08-24-2010, 06:08 PM
zanwar is infamous around these partszanwar is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by DaveHutchinson
This one almost had me on the i4 yesterday driving back from Tampa. It had just started raining, and we all know that most drivers lose total control when a raindrop hits the ground . The guy in front of me, slammed on his brakes in the middle of rush hour traffic because he saw a state trooper at the side of the road. The limit was 75 on that particular part and we were already only doing 70... yet after this violent maneuver, we were doing 35 on a very busy road. Thank God I was always taught to leave a good size gap because you do not expect someone to brake that hard for no reason.

If I'm honest, I know the standard of driving in the UK isn't perfect but it's the one thing I miss after moving to the US, the vast majority of the drivers here must have got their license free in their cereal because they have *no* idea how to drive. The driving tests are a joke/disgrace, the lady who tested me was more interested in my Cayman S than my driving and amazingly, I never even went out onto the road!!

You know its bad when even the cops don't know the highway code. Last week I had a cop *stop* in the middle of a roundabout to wave me on. Is it really that difficult to work out how a roundabout (traffic circle) works? Each entrance has a giant yield sign on it!
The US really needs some public advice broadcasts. How else would we have known that "only a fool breaks the two second rule".

Joking aside, the skill level of UK drivers is definitely ahead of the US, but I still prefer driving here. The petty one-upmanship on British roads is so annoying. In the US, one takes care of oneself. If there's a driver sitting in the overtaking lane at a slow speed, I pass them on the inside when there's a safe gap. If someone does the same to me, I don't sweat it.

I also still follow the two second rule. Thats one's a keeper.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Just can't drive 55