997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

I'm not driving without a spare anymore, I swear.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 12:46 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bob/ft.worth
...But what are the chances of 2 blow outs on the pilot sports with normal driving. The first blow out was with 300 miles on a new car, this one was with 6 thousand miles on the back tires, I've gone years on other cars including p-cars without flats. Something about the tire? ...
High performance tires rarely blow up. When they do, it's usually due to low tire pressure. What tire pressures do you run?

Old 08-23-2010, 03:32 PM
xXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond repute
Sub.

Old 08-23-2010, 07:02 PM
bob/ft.worth is infamous around these parts
i check the tire pressure religiously. F33/R39. Matter of fact, i checked them before the drive now that you mention it, they were spot-on. The wife thinks it was one of those reflectors in between lanes. No proof of that, though.

Hmmm.. wife will have to go in the back seat, tire in the front? Not good for spousal relations, but any port in the storm?

Old 08-23-2010, 07:06 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Hmmm.. wife will have to go in the back seat, tire in the front? Not good for spousal relations, but any port in the storm?
Depends how you look at it,I guess!
I kinda like the front seat empty and her in the backseat,LOL!....come to think about it,even prefer a stinky tire next me over her!
Hope she doesn't read this OVER my shoulder!

I am actually REALLY considering this spare tire thing.......

Old 08-23-2010, 07:10 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
i check the tire pressure religiously. F33/R39. Matter of fact, i checked them before the drive now that you mention it, they were spot-on. The wife thinks it was one of those reflectors in between lanes. No proof of that, though.

Good to know, but puzzling. Some Porsche owners drive a few pounds below recommended and do indeed blow their tires when they speed up. In your case... 2 blowouts is very unusual. I would have those tires examined by Michelin forensics to learn what's wrong.

Old 08-23-2010, 10:28 PM
caly is infamous around these parts
sorry to hear bro..if i drive local i dont care it but if any distance got to have it + I carry a repair kit..driving without spare is paranoid it not about $ but the waiting time it a hassle.
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...od-n-pics.html

Old 08-24-2010, 08:41 PM
Jungwook is infamous around these parts
Is there a portable roof rack for the blown tyre? I am a genius!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL
This way - you can keep your wife in the front ! and check that the tyre didn't fall off through the sunroof - no need for fancy sensors up there!. Just don't drop the wheel & tyre up there on the roof~

Old 08-25-2010, 09:52 AM
cbzzoom is infamous around these parts
I'm now carrying :

leaf jack
torque wrench
channel locks
tire plug kit
serpentine belt
oil
towel
garbage bags

it weighs close to 50 pounds, and fills most of my front trunk, but I feel way more comfortable when I drive mountain roads out of cell phone reach.

Old 08-25-2010, 03:03 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Taxi!
For starters, put the front wheel on the rear and the spare on the front. That will save some space. But a possibly better solution to a "flat" (as opposed to the blowout the OP experienced) is to just use the factory tire repair system or carry a tire plug kit, to avoid having to rearrange the tires in the first place.
Huh? How does that save space. You have a wider tire in back, but you still have to stow a large rear tire, regardless of what you put in the space you took that large rear tire off of.

The storage of the rear tire is the real issue with the spare tire.

I'm still thinking a collapsible mount that attaches to a receiver under the bumper.

Old 08-25-2010, 05:18 PM
bob/ft.worth is infamous around these parts
well, you guys bring up an interesting point. Has anyone actually fit a back (or front) wheel/tire in their car? We all seem to 'think' it'll fit. i've never done it

Old 08-25-2010, 07:10 PM
Taxi! is just really niceTaxi! is just really niceTaxi! is just really niceTaxi! is just really nice
Originally Posted by Minok
Huh? How does that save space. You have a wider tire in back, but you still have to stow a large rear tire, regardless of what you put in the space you took that large rear tire off of.

The storage of the rear tire is the real issue with the spare tire.

I'm still thinking a collapsible mount that attaches to a receiver under the bumper.
Yeah, I don't know what I was thinking.

Old 08-26-2010, 12:02 PM
DJH
DJH is just really niceDJH is just really niceDJH is just really niceDJH is just really niceDJH is just really nice
I think a simple solution would have been to upgrade your AAA membership to 100mile tows. That way you could easily go to a tire shop/home and change it out.

Old 08-26-2010, 01:17 PM
20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by adias
High performance tires rarely blow up. When they do, it's usually due to low tire pressure. What tire pressures do you run?
Huh? High performance tires rarely blow up? My rear right pilot sport 2 blew out with only 1400 miles on it and no puncture in tire nor did i hit anything on the freeway. Generally speaking, high performance tires are most susceptible to blowouts...

Old 08-26-2010, 01:36 PM
Originally Posted by 20-C4-10
Huh? High performance tires rarely blow up? My rear right pilot sport 2 blew out with only 1400 miles on it and no puncture in tire nor did i hit anything on the freeway. Generally speaking, high performance tires are most susceptible to blowouts...
Not what I see. All blowouts I know about occurred in tires that routinely were underinflated, or totally worn out.

Old 08-26-2010, 06:45 PM
jakesdad is a jewel in the roughjakesdad is a jewel in the roughjakesdad is a jewel in the rough
well, you guys bring up an interesting point. Has anyone actually fit a back (or front) wheel/tire in their car? We all seem to 'think' it'll fit. i've never done it
I've got a spare coming soon -- I'll let you know if one of the rear tires fits into the car...

I suspect that Porsche didn't want to figure out how to make one fit and passed the work onto owners....
The countries that require Porsche to include a spare must also require the blown tire to fit into the vehicle rather than leave it by the side of the road??

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I'm not driving without a spare anymore, I swear.