997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

I'm not driving without a spare anymore, I swear.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 05:39 PM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
Interesting discussion but there is no excuse for Porsche not putting a spare in their cars. None. As for the guy with the pics of the spare, it won't fit in any of the all wheel drive cars. Used to be under the front trunk mat in the 993 C4, but not in the newer cars. But then the issue of where you put the flat makes the question of not including a spare in the car in the first place mute as no one in their right mind is going to want to put that nasty flat tire in the interior of their Porsche, full leather or not. Guess you could leave it in weeds and hope it's it's still there when you come back in your Land Rover SUV. But then who would steal it ? : ) Sorry folks, justify what you will about the " land of Porsche " but not having a spare is inexcusable in my book and the only reason I don't do road trips in my Porsche. The other reason it that Daryl and Daryl are just waiting to get the call to pick up your $ 100,000 Porsche with their tow truck. I can hear 'em now.. " Don't worry sir, we know what we're doing " as they proceed to grab the tow hooks.

Old 11-14-2010, 07:09 PM
NC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Dadio
Interesting discussion but there is no excuse for Porsche not putting a spare in their cars. None.
Sorry, but lots of cars no longer carry a spare.. Mini Cooper S's and Corvettes to name two - I've owned both,.. I'm sure there are more. The 'excuse' is that it's a 'sports car', and as such, there are certain inconveniences that we all know we better be ready to deal with for the sake of weight savings and space limitations.

I opted for wheel & tire insurance when I bought my car.. then I put aftermarket wheels on it.. Doh!.. at least if I dent/break one, I'll have a spare wheel to put on the car until a replacement arrives.

Old 11-14-2010, 07:14 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
The only reason I'm on my 3rd set of OEM RE070rev2 runflats.

Old 11-14-2010, 07:26 PM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by xXxGhotimanxXx
What did you buy, and where did you buy it?

J

Ebay - many dismantlers post 986 17x3.5 spare sets there that include the jack and tools. The one I got was complete and in brand new condition. If the size of the wheel is not specified as 17in, you need to verify before buying.

The other option is to order the collapsible spare 996-362-020-04 that is 17x5.5 I think. This will fit in C4s and at least a few owners have done this:

Also note that at least one 6spdOL member is from Guate and his 997.2 C4S came with a factory spare - so this exists, just not for US buyers without jumping through hoops.

Suncoast has all the part numbers as well for those who don't want to deal with Ebay or who need the collapsible tire which is rare to find on Ebay in a 17in. None of the options work on carbon brakes - the calipers are too big.

There is also a part 997-722-103-00 - a foam form - that, along with the correct bag 997-722-061-00 , can hold the spare in the rear seat with it buckled in - for those who'd rather not give up frunk space:

(http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...r-997-a-4.html)

Keep some large trash bags and tire carriers to cover the take off tire if it needs to go inside the car. Keep in mind when you take the spare out of the frunk, you now have some extra room to relocate luggage from inside the car to the frunk so you can store the take off wheel/tire in the back seat.

Also, at least one older manual I saw recommended using the spare on the front and relocating a front wheel to the rear if necessary. I suspect this is due to the amount of weight sitting over the rear wheels.

Last edited by stevepow; 11-14-2010 at 11:56 PM.
Old 11-14-2010, 08:17 PM
jakesdad is a jewel in the roughjakesdad is a jewel in the roughjakesdad is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Dadio
I The other reason it that Daryl and Daryl are just waiting to get the call to pick up your $ 100,000 Porsche with their tow truck. I can hear 'em now.. " Don't worry sir, we know what we're doing " as they proceed to grab the tow hooks.
This is the MAJOR reason I put a spare kit together. I swear I don't trust these people (Daryl/Daryl) to touch any car I own... "Sir, could you open the hood so we can get a hook on that baby....."

Old 11-14-2010, 08:31 PM
12GtR-BE is a splendid one to behold12GtR-BE is a splendid one to behold12GtR-BE is a splendid one to behold12GtR-BE is a splendid one to behold12GtR-BE is a splendid one to behold12GtR-BE is a splendid one to behold12GtR-BE is a splendid one to behold
by the way my 07- carrera s come no spare wheel ? is this sound right?? Please advise ?

Old 11-14-2010, 09:31 PM
xXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks a lot stevepow...much appreciated write-up.

J

Old 11-15-2010, 05:42 AM
af330i has a spectacular aura aboutaf330i has a spectacular aura aboutaf330i has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by NC 997
Sorry, but lots of cars no longer carry a spare.. Mini Cooper S's and Corvettes to name two - I've owned both,.. I'm sure there are more. The 'excuse' is that it's a 'sports car', and as such, there are certain inconveniences that we all know we better be ready to deal with for the sake of weight savings and space limitations.
The Mini and Corvette (had 4 of them & loved it) have runflats so you don't get stranded

Currently have a 650i with no spare but again has runflats.

The RX8 has no spare or runflats but at least there is an option to purchase a spare from Mazda (I was not going without a spare).

So I agree cars do come without a spare but they have other solutions so you don't get stranded.

If it wasn't for Stevepow's post I would have never realized the 08 911 I just purchased didn't have a spare probably until it was too late since then I purchased the 996/boxster inflated spare from ebay for $275 shipped with tools.

Old 11-15-2010, 06:42 AM
ScottAtlGa is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by af330i
The Mini and Corvette (had 4 of them & loved it) have runflats so you don't get stranded

Currently have a 650i with no spare but again has runflats.

The RX8 has no spare or runflats but at least there is an option to purchase a spare from Mazda (I was not going without a spare).

So I agree cars do come without a spare but they have other solutions so you don't get stranded.

If it wasn't for Stevepow's post I would have never realized the 08 911 I just purchased didn't have a spare probably until it was too late since then I purchased the 996/boxster inflated spare from ebay for $275 shipped with tools.
What size is the spare you bought? I thought I read somewhere it should be 17" but most I find are 15".

Old 11-15-2010, 09:03 AM
zeplow is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by stevepow
Ebay - many dismantlers post 986 17x3.5 spare sets there that include the jack and tools. The one I got was complete and in brand new condition. If the size of the wheel is not specified as 17in, you need to verify before buying.

The other option is to order the collapsible spare 996-362-020-04 that is 17x5.5 I think. This will fit in C4s and at least a few owners have done this:

Also note that at least one 6spdOL member is from Guate and his 997.2 C4S came with a factory spare - so this exists, just not for US buyers without jumping through hoops.

Suncoast has all the part numbers as well for those who don't want to deal with Ebay or who need the collapsible tire which is rare to find on Ebay in a 17in. None of the options work on carbon brakes - the calipers are too big.

There is also a part 997-722-103-00 - a foam form - that, along with the correct bag 997-722-061-00 , can hold the spare in the rear seat with it buckled in - for those who'd rather not give up frunk space:

(http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...r-997-a-4.html)

Keep some large trash bags and tire carriers to cover the take off tire if it needs to go inside the car. Keep in mind when you take the spare out of the frunk, you now have some extra room to relocate luggage from inside the car to the frunk so you can store the take off wheel/tire in the back seat.

Also, at least one older manual I saw recommended using the spare on the front and relocating a front wheel to the rear if necessary. I suspect this is due to the amount of weight sitting over the rear wheels.
Newbie here, after reading stevepow's flat tire adventure in a different post a week or so ago, I scoured ebay and yesterday I won a complete spare kit with jack, tools and tire cover. I should get it later this week and get it mounted in my C4. Hopefully, it won't be too difficult.

I'll post pics if I accomplish anything interesting (also only if my clear side markers get here in time from Suncoast)

Old 11-15-2010, 09:54 AM
af330i has a spectacular aura aboutaf330i has a spectacular aura aboutaf330i has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by ScottAtlGa
What size is the spare you bought? I thought I read somewhere it should be 17" but most I find are 15".

The one I purchased was from ebay, it was a Used 17" (fully inflated) and the ad said it was good for a 996 (Not C4 model) and a Boxster.

I have not tried it on my car yet but will do so in the next few days.

Also I wanted to note it came with a cover and the insert with the Jack but I noticed this morning it came with no other tools which I did not realize at the time so for now I put a rachet with a 19mm socket in my car until I find a better solution.

Old 11-15-2010, 01:49 PM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by af330i
The one I purchased was from ebay, it was a Used 17" (fully inflated) and the ad said it was good for a 996 (Not C4 model) and a Boxster.

I have not tried it on my car yet but will do so in the next few days.

Also I wanted to note it came with a cover and the insert with the Jack but I noticed this morning it came with no other tools which I did not realize at the time so for now I put a rachet with a 19mm socket in my car until I find a better solution.
The toolkit is worth having - expensive new, but here's a good one on eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/porsche-996-986-complete-tool-kit-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5d2c13bb24QQitemZ40017 1449124QQptZMotorsQ5fAutomotiveQ5fTools

Another one up there for $225, but that's a bit high I think - I have seen the entire spare set and tools for around that price.

I also ended up with an extra toolkit (I bought last year, before I got the spare set) that I paid $150 for - I'll sell that to anyone who needs one. Includes all the tools and factory goodies like plastic gloves (thin plastic) and a clear storage bag apparently for the take off tire, but I have never examined it closely. I'd recommend some rugged "home depot" gloves and a few strong trash bags instead. PM me, if interested.

Last edited by stevepow; 11-15-2010 at 01:59 PM.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:55 PM
xXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond repute
Well, after stevepow's nightmare write-up, I'm convinced. It's ridiculous that a flat tire, while an inconvenience, should take and entire day and require a flat bed ride. When I heard my first flat tire horror story, I checked Suncoast...and $900 or so for the spare tire kit is a bit ridiculous. So I didn't do anything...until today. Found a good kit...rim/tire, jack insert etc., tool kit, and cover for $279 and eBay. Seemed like a good deal so I pulled the trigger.

J

Old 12-05-2010, 07:09 PM
mjsporsche is a jewel in the roughmjsporsche is a jewel in the roughmjsporsche is a jewel in the roughmjsporsche is a jewel in the rough
Sold. Spare Tire for our 997 for sale

Sold

After reading this post, I put out feelers that I wanted to buy a spare tire kit from a 996 to keep in my trunk. I picked one up about a month ago from a local enthusiast. I paid $350 (ouch!) but I have some peace of mind. At least it is less than Suncoast's suggesting pricing of $750.

Got a call last week a another local Porsche racer preparing his 996 that he was unloading some take-off parts. Asked if he had a spare tire. Yes. He had one unused. I bought it knowing there will be a 997 owner who might want one too. Looking to sell it for the $225 plus shipping.

Spare has no miles. Excellent conditon. Has a cover and foam organizer for the missing jack and handle. I suspect the jack / handle can be picked up from a dismantler or use a generic one from a local auto supply.

PM me if you are interested.

Mark

Last edited by mjsporsche; 12-06-2010 at 09:03 AM. Reason: Sold
Old 12-05-2010, 09:33 PM
MarathonBob has a spectacular aura aboutMarathonBob has a spectacular aura aboutMarathonBob has a spectacular aura about
PM Sent MJSPorsche.
I'll be in NJ next week and if it can fit in my C4, I'd love to buy it.
Bob

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I'm not driving without a spare anymore, I swear.