997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Recent 4200 mi. Road Trip

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 05:24 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Recent 4200 mi. Road Trip

I just put about 4200 miles on my cab by driving from LA to Vancouver and back. I drove the car up to Vancouver via Bend Oregon and Kelowna BC (where I linked up with Justatoy), then left my car with my son in Vancouver for a month before flying back up and spending a week in Vancouver before driving back down to Irvine via part of the Oregon coast. This is the second 997 that I've taken a trip like this in, and each time I have really enjoyed it. These cars are great for road trips (unlike an R8 that has no storage space).

My best mileage was about 24 mpg, and the average, including city driving in Vancouver, was about 21.5 mpg.

Observations:
1. Oregon has the coarsest pavement on the west coast, resulting in huge road noise.
2. There are increasingly more ignorant drivers who love to sit in the fast lane, totally unaware of the principle of slower moving traffic to be in the right lane.
3. The most prevalent vehicle driven by the above ignorant drivers is an older Chrysler minivan.
4. The most prevalent state, on the west coast, for such behavior is California, followed by Washington.
5. Highway 97 in Eastern Washington state, and parts of Oregon north of Bend, is a fantastic road for a Porsche. Miles of open 2-lane highway with few other cars, lots of hills and corners, and little presence by State Patrol.
6. Traffic on the Oregon coast (101) is very busy in mid August.
7. Ear plugs work great to reduce fatigue caused by road and wind noise (in a cab).
8. I-680 between Walnut Creek and San Jose had a horrific overpass/pavement joint last weekend due to some repaving. No warnings. But at 70 mph, it was so bad that my cup-holder flap dropped open.
9. The Porsche guys in Vancouver who gather for "Bob's breakfast run" every 2 Saturdays know how to have fun with their cars. I went on 2 runs with them between Vancouver and Squamish on the twisty "Sea to Sky" highway. Those were worth the trip alone.
10. Justatoy and I had a fantastic 200 mile drive early one Friday morning between Kelowna BC and Vancouver, each in our respective 997 cabs. There is nothing better than a nice mountain highway, perfect weather, a 997 cab with top down, no traffic, and no cops. That run was worth the trip too.

Pics below:
1. Eastern Washington
2. Northern California, north of Redding on I-5
3. Eastern Washinton
4. Justatoy's black cab, and my blue cab, prior to our run on July 9.
5. "Bob's breakfast run" to Squamish on July 10

Attached Images      
Old 08-21-2010, 06:57 PM
mshanler has a spectacular aura aboutmshanler has a spectacular aura aboutmshanler has a spectacular aura about
I'm envious. I would love to have the freedom to do a trip like that.

2 Q's...
1) Were there any issues....or did it purr & growl the entire trip?
2) Also, what were your favorite roads?

Old 08-21-2010, 07:30 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Gotta say....that is alot of miles and some GREAT weather to enjoy the Cab!
Congrats on a successful trip Ken!
As you know,it was good to see you and I must say that the drive from Kelowna to Vancouver was one of my favorites.Top down,early morning.......AMAZING!
Who knows,maybe one day we will do the trip together to your home!

BTW...my car looks REALLY dirty in that driveway shot.....

Stacy

Old 08-21-2010, 08:20 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Ken,

I have travelled Highway 97 a few times, it takes you right to ORP. You should have checked out the track.

It was good to see you when you were up here.

Old 08-21-2010, 08:33 PM
NC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by keninirvine
Observations:

2. There are increasingly more ignorant drivers who love to sit in the fast lane, totally unaware of the principle of slower moving traffic to be in the right lane.
3. The most prevalent vehicle driven by the above ignorant drivers is an older Chrysler minivan.
Truer words were never spoken.

Old 08-21-2010, 10:31 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by NC 997
Truer words were never spoken.
I find that in WA state it is the Left Lane Prius drivers that don't use there mirrors!

Old 08-22-2010, 02:08 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mshanler
I'm envious. I would love to have the freedom to do a trip like that.

2 Q's...
1) Were there any issues....or did it purr & growl the entire trip?
2) Also, what were your favorite roads?
There were no issues. The car ran perfectly the whole time, and even survived the horrendous pavement discontinuity on I-680, at least I think (haven't had the alignment checked, but it felt fine at 125)

Favorite roads were the back highways in eastern Oregon and Washington. Less traffic and fewer cops, and lots of nice hills and bends in the road. My favorite freeway section is between Redding, Ca and Ashland Oregon, through Siskiyou Pass. The rest of I-5 is boring, especially through the central valley in California, and in Oregon and Washington I-5 has State Patrol hiding everywhere.

Old 08-22-2010, 02:27 PM
KaamaCat has a spectacular aura aboutKaamaCat has a spectacular aura aboutKaamaCat has a spectacular aura about
Small world........ just about 2months ago (when I had the 09' C2S) we did 4200 (yep also 4200) mile trip from Georgia to Sedona AZ.........and obviously back again.

Man, there is no doubt that you just see so much doing the drive (vs flying) its not even funny! Great cars aren't they!

Old 08-22-2010, 03:00 PM
jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !
Ken,

Great pics ....I somehow dont remember Vancouver lookin like that while I was in town. LOL

Jim

Old 08-22-2010, 06:30 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Why did you drove 680 and 5 in CA? Don't you know the CA Porsche roads?

Old 08-22-2010, 07:54 PM
Originally Posted by adias
Why did you drove 680 and 5 in CA? Don't you know the CA Porsche roads?
I was trying to make it home from Ashland Oregon in 1 day. I opted for 101 (via 680) to avoid the drudgery of I-5 down the central valley. I'll do the California coast and mountain roads on separate weekend trips.