997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

997 to the Track

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 07:50 AM
Doc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond repute
I concur, do the hi-temp brake fluid flush within two weeks of the event. Fresh fluid is great insurance!

Old 08-26-2010, 08:47 AM
seattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really nice
Originally Posted by major c2s
I disagree with Seattle Sun that you don't push your car that hard at PSDS. Could you, please, explain why following a pro driver in 997tt isn't pushing car very hard? I was redlining in every gear and worked hard to keep up on the straight. I've done many track days and and I'd agree that it is more difficult than PSDS but not necessarily harder on the car. Plus, at PSDS you drive someone else's car.
Because the pro driver is hardly pushing it. Compared to the track days I have done and the Skippy courses, it is very easy driving. The force of braking at PSDS is much less than the braking done in group A or B on a track day. Braking at PSDS is done much sooner and with much less force than at most track days. Corners are approached much slower and the straights are much slower. The point of PSDS isn't to learn how to race, but to give you an idea of how much the car can do. Most people there have never been to a track, can't heel toe, and have never been to 4/10. It's a great, fun course; but it's not really pushing the car that hard. I don't consider red lining hard on a car- most of us do that every day.

Last edited by seattle_sun; 08-26-2010 at 08:53 AM.
Old 08-26-2010, 03:40 PM
brendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by seattle_sun
Because the pro driver is hardly pushing it. Compared to the track days I have done and the Skippy courses, it is very easy driving. The force of braking at PSDS is much less than the braking done in group A or B on a track day. Braking at PSDS is done much sooner and with much less force than at most track days. Corners are approached much slower and the straights are much slower. The point of PSDS isn't to learn how to race, but to give you an idea of how much the car can do. Most people there have never been to a track, can't heel toe, and have never been to 4/10. It's a great, fun course; but it's not really pushing the car that hard. I don't consider red lining hard on a car- most of us do that every day.
depends on the group you're with IMO. i've had some very hard braking at PSDS, especially in the masters course.

Old 08-26-2010, 04:03 PM
cmargosi is a glorious beacon of lightcmargosi is a glorious beacon of lightcmargosi is a glorious beacon of lightcmargosi is a glorious beacon of lightcmargosi is a glorious beacon of lightcmargosi is a glorious beacon of light
Thanks for the Replies

I'm very used to driving on the track (10 days so far this year)...so I'll be pushing the car.

Sounds like I should throw some of the motul or the amsoil BF I use in my race car into into it and let her rip..

I guess what I was wondering more than anything is if the stock pads will hold up for a day. After that, this is gonna be a street car. I just want to see what it can without a $500 ticket!

By the way, I take delivery on Saturday.

Old 08-26-2010, 04:54 PM
pcs
pcs has a spectacular aura aboutpcs has a spectacular aura about
If the brake pads are in good shape, go ahead - I did three days at Fontana on stock pads and fluid - no problems at all. I have replaced the fronts (stock) and the fluid (ATE Blue) since then and have done three more track days with no issues at all - the braking on the car is simply phenomenal. I am thinking about going to Padgid's, but so far i have seen a need to.

Old 08-26-2010, 09:42 PM
medpilot105 is infamous around these parts
Kind of a thread jack here but, on the topic of fluid... Would a change only to an RBF type fluid improve pedal feel? Specifically, a firmer feeling pedal? Not interested in pads, lines, rotors or calipers yet. My stock brakes work fine for slowing the car but the pedal just feels softer than I'd like. In fact, any rider I've had on board has remarked how solid the braking feels to them but meanwhile it feels mushy and the travel long to me.

Without a full on brake kit upgrade, would fluid help the pedal firm up? TIA

Old 08-26-2010, 11:19 PM
brendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by medpilot105
Kind of a thread jack here but, on the topic of fluid... Would a change only to an RBF type fluid improve pedal feel? Specifically, a firmer feeling pedal? Not interested in pads, lines, rotors or calipers yet. My stock brakes work fine for slowing the car but the pedal just feels softer than I'd like. In fact, any rider I've had on board has remarked how solid the braking feels to them but meanwhile it feels mushy and the travel long to me.

Without a full on brake kit upgrade, would fluid help the pedal firm up? TIA
what you're describing means you should change the fluid or bleed the brakes. if you drive the car hard, you should upgrade the fluid to one with a higher wet boiling point.

you can have a great time with a stock set up with the other parts.

Old 08-27-2010, 02:52 AM
RonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond repute
I have to disagree with many here. If you are an advanced driver that knows the track intimately and do 10-15 events a year, you shouldn't be driving any car without upgraded fluid and dedicated track pads. You surely must be running Castrol SRF or Motul in your previous car. Kind of have to ask yourself why you are asking this question You know the the drill - spend the 45 minutes before the event and after swapping out pads. It's easier in the 997 than in the M3 where you have to remove the entire caliper (at least I did in my E46 M3).

Old 08-27-2010, 04:33 AM
tyounker is infamous around these parts
Same here on brake fluid, some people like to adjust the alignment also.

Old 08-27-2010, 02:35 PM
cmargosi is a glorious beacon of lightcmargosi is a glorious beacon of lightcmargosi is a glorious beacon of lightcmargosi is a glorious beacon of lightcmargosi is a glorious beacon of lightcmargosi is a glorious beacon of light
Ron

I hate it when people are right. Ron, good advice...

As for the guy who is thinking about Pagids -- Run the other way!!

Performance Friction all the way....

And I run Amsoil Racing Brake Fluid in my race car. It's awesome...

Old 08-27-2010, 03:44 PM
medpilot105 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by brendo
what you're describing means you should change the fluid or bleed the brakes. if you drive the car hard, you should upgrade the fluid to one with a higher wet boiling point.

you can have a great time with a stock set up with the other parts.

Cool, thanks! I had Motul RBF with my full ALCON BBK in my previous Audi and I really miss the whole package. However, with the Carrera I'm enjoying the non-modded lifestyle for a while. I'll definitely give just a fluid upgrade a try. Thanks again.

Old 08-27-2010, 06:55 PM
Jack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant future
I wonder how hard you'd be pushing the car as it is new to you and you'll be on street tires (or did I miss that you'd be on track tires? If so, maybe never mind).
If it was me, I'd change the fluid and thats it. 8/10ths, street tires, etc means no need for Pagids for me. I have about 100 or so days over 10 years, club race experience, etc. Im driving my track appliance 944 for now, and keeping the 997 off track until it depreciates. I already smashed one car at WGI and I know the perils.

Old 08-27-2010, 07:47 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cmargosi
I hate it when people are right. Ron, good advice...

As for the guy who is thinking about Pagids -- Run the other way!!

Performance Friction all the way....

And I run Amsoil Racing Brake Fluid in my race car. It's awesome...
Whay do you hate Pagid pads? I've run both Performance Friction PF97 and I currently run Pagid RS29 Yellows....I am thinking hard about trying out the Perf. Friction PF01's though but I found the 97's to have a bit better bite than the Yellows but they wore out faster and transfered heat to the calipers more than the Pagid's.