997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Survival of the manual transmission

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 09:51 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by NorthVan
I love my manual transmission, however I recently had the opportunity to drive my buddies E92 M3 with DCT on the track, and I was surprised as to how much fun the paddle shifters was to drive. I did feel the car was like a video game, shift mid corner in a manual transmission is a sure way to upset the balance of the car, however the DCT made it so seamless that it made me laugh every time I did that. The one flaw in the system that I didn't like, was the after about 5 laps the transmission was giving me attitude, and when I wanted to down shift, it ended up shifting up to 6th and stayed their until it was cooled off a little. A manual would just continue on and do as it is told.
This has been a problem posted on several BMW forums common with DCT , This is not the case with PDK.

PDK seems to get superior ratings in just about every scenario (street or track).

Old 08-26-2010, 10:02 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jacques1960
Call me a cynic, but whether one drives a PDK or manual, one should nevertheless be competent with the latter - hard for a poseur to row the boat with elan.

Also, there is the matter of certain Porsches offered with manual only, perhaps reflecting something of the automaker's soul.
I happen to agree with dual competency . That's why I bought two of these cars.

I would still pick a manual with certain cars ( ie-- 135 or cayman .. small cars to me feel more fun with a manual) .

I would pick PDK with other cars (the Turbo --where boost is maintained in shifts).

With other cars I woild pick NEITHER . A boring 328I or a base Cayenne --Just give me an automatic transmission .

Old 08-26-2010, 10:51 PM
gravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by yrralis1
I happen to agree with dual competency . That's why I bought two of these cars.

I would still pick a manual with certain cars ( ie-- 135 or cayman .. small cars to me feel more fun with a manual) .

I would pick PDK with other cars (the Turbo --where boost is maintained in shifts).

With other cars I woild pick NEITHER . A boring 328I or a base Cayenne --Just give me an automatic transmission .
I agree with most of what you said and consider the non-turbo 911 a "small" car.

Old 08-27-2010, 03:06 AM
Originally Posted by gloves
I, for one, am not surprised at all. Am I happy that companies are going this way…No. I noticed this trend from when I bought my Subaru WRX in 2004 and then my Subaru STi in 2007. Between just those 3 years, more and more people were popping up on the forums with auto WRX models. At the time this was blasphemy. But since 2007 everything has changed. Basic cars like the Honda Fit have paddle shifter options. High end cars like Ferrari have said that all new models will have an E-gear, the death of their coveted gated shifter! It won’t take long till every other manufacturer takes note of the trend. As said in a post above, there are very few new car owners that want to drive a stick. And most people that go from a stick to some type of double clutch say they have no reason to ever go back.
This actually poses a dilema for the 20-25K priced cars . Honda for example only makes the Si and even those are scarce for 2010.
Paddle shifters have made their way into some of these 20K cars mated with automatic transmissions.

Instead the big seller is the CRZ -- a sport hybrid able to do 0-60 in 10 seconds -- and a manual.

I feel old .. because I don't understand how anyone can be thrilled with this .

So the next step up is BMW and of the the 135i M package costs double .

High tech performance doesn't come cheap and with that in mind I think the future of manuals will remain strong in CPO cars .. so their road presense will linger .,.as the traditiinal drivers cling to the most basioc roots of driving which brought them to thse cars in the first place .

I would greatly miss a manual .
I would also miss the PDK .

I am 50/50 on which i like more .

Old 08-27-2010, 03:10 AM
Originally Posted by PTParks
How many new Porsche or BMW buyers choose their cars with track days in mind, or look forward to the exection of a perfectly executed heel-and-toe downshift driving through their favorite hairpin turn? I suspect that the number of repeat buyers that had a manual transmission in their last car who choose a manual in their new ride has leveled off (no new converts), while the number of new first-time owners are choosing the improved automatics both from a convenience and (maybe) a performance perspective. If you're a die-hard 6 speed fan (like me) you'll keep the faith. However, dealerships are going to stock what sells best.

We've seen Porsche .
This 135I looks kinda fun -no ? (below).But then I look at this and ponder the M3 . This of course defeats the purpose of replacing the Honda Si as an inexpensive car to take to the mall , movies, or mundane miles.

So the step from a 22K Si is either priced up (135) or down (Civic Ex) .
I wonder if so much of this change in production emanates from buyer sentiment on new transmission and the cost to obtain high tech performance .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bygHVpCaxJw

Last edited by yrralis1; 08-27-2010 at 03:26 AM.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:33 AM
LPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to behold
Floppy Paddles

I have a '06 Audi a3 3.2 w/ the dsg. This was / is a great alternative to a manual and the latest models shift even better. Sadly the 3.2 wasn't as efficient as other V-6's. The a3 is still a good alternative with the 2.0 turbo. The 3.2 is quick; 0-60 in 5.9 sec. though it's faster with + 50k miles on the clock.

In terms of build quality: I've had no major issues w/ 77k down. I have an extended warranty due to the no history dsg drive. Below the 50k cut-off I had nothing of concern. The Haldex was replaced but was covered by the extended.

The a3 is not as taut as a S4 but it's still a fun ride.

Old 08-31-2010, 08:48 AM
Perkman87 has a brilliant futurePerkman87 has a brilliant futurePerkman87 has a brilliant futurePerkman87 has a brilliant futurePerkman87 has a brilliant futurePerkman87 has a brilliant futurePerkman87 has a brilliant futurePerkman87 has a brilliant futurePerkman87 has a brilliant futurePerkman87 has a brilliant futurePerkman87 has a brilliant future
No one brought up the g37 Auto Tranny. I think that car is a great sporty car and it actually rev matches the down shifts ( pretty cool ) Only thing I didnt like was the delay for upshifting. But hey its no SMG.

My rant is over and yes I an new here.

Old 08-31-2010, 09:11 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Perkman87
No one brought up the g37 Auto Tranny. I think that car is a great sporty car and it actually rev matches the down shifts ( pretty cool ) Only thing I didnt like was the delay for upshifting. But hey its no SMG.

My rant is over and yes I an new here.
In my opinion, SMG's are dated as well... The G37 is nice from a luxury standpoint (slightly sporty). But not from a performance perspective.

Old 08-31-2010, 09:25 AM
Perkman87 has a brilliant futurePerkman87 has a brilliant futurePerkman87 has a brilliant futurePerkman87 has a brilliant futurePerkman87 has a brilliant futurePerkman87 has a brilliant futurePerkman87 has a brilliant futurePerkman87 has a brilliant futurePerkman87 has a brilliant futurePerkman87 has a brilliant futurePerkman87 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
In my opinion, SMG's are dated as well... The G37 is nice from a luxury standpoint (slightly sporty). But not from a performance perspective.
Very true they are slightly sporty. I still Love the snappy response from the SMG transmissions, It honestly felt like the f430 tranny in responsiveness. I know its outdated, but it works lol.

Old 08-31-2010, 10:48 AM
Dave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by NorthVan
I love my manual transmission, however I recently had the opportunity to drive my buddies E92 M3 with DCT on the track, and I was surprised as to how much fun the paddle shifters was to drive. I did feel the car was like a video game, shift mid corner in a manual transmission is a sure way to upset the balance of the car, however the DCT made it so seamless that it made me laugh every time I did that. The one flaw in the system that I didn't like, was the after about 5 laps the transmission was giving me attitude, and when I wanted to down shift, it ended up shifting up to 6th and stayed their until it was cooled off a little. A manual would just continue on and do as it is told.
Ed ask your friend if he had the updated software for the DCT. This was an issue and supposedly was solved.

I agree however, manual for me all the way. Had to order my E92 M3 ZCP as none were available with a manual.

Dave

Old 09-22-2010, 05:24 PM
Brian777 is infamous around these parts
LOVE the manual transmission. as I get older, I could see someday going with an automatic. or maybe auto for the main car and manual for a second car

Old 09-22-2010, 06:48 PM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
My dealer in ATL, Hennessy, has 25 911s in current inventory, 14 of them are 6spd - and that seems typical for them. I'd expect a lot of 6spds buyers still around for 911s now, but not really for BMW - they have moved into a different market almost completely from the BMW that I used to know.

Caymam - 2 of 9 are 6spd
Boxster 2 of 16 are 6spd

So my gut guess is that 911s, the classic, is appealing to older buyers who are long-time 6-spd fans, and that the others are appealing to younger buyers - and possibly track buyers looking for performance. Or I could be just tripping.

Last edited by stevepow; 09-22-2010 at 07:14 PM.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:05 PM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by gravedgr
...transmission in M and the Sport Plus turned on. I'd be rolling along in 5th or so and the transmission would just drop to 3rd for a few seconds (5-15 I guess), and then back to up to 5th. I assumed it was anticipating a quick WOT...
Must have been a service issue, as PDK does not shift UP in manual mode and you have to be coming to a pretty dead stop for it to auto-shift DOWN in M as well (or kick down).

PDK is not something easily sorted in a quick test drive. The Auto/Normal mode is almost like an AT, but any of the other Auto modes respond to different driver input which is great in the long hail, once you start learning how to get the most out of it. However, M is pretty dead simple in Normal/Sport/Sport+ - you shift when you want - only throttle response and shift smoothness are affect by those modes. All M modes never auto-up-shift, and downshift only when coming to a stop - or if you floor it (kick down), and then you have to UP-shift coming out of a kick down as you see fit - manually or when you notice you are red-lining.

When i test drove PDK, I just wanted to make sure it didn't do any of the dorky things that BMW SMG did in auto (nearly useless). I trusted that M would just work - that Porsche would surely have gotten it right if BMW did - and didn't really bother with it on the test drive. Wow - I had no idea how good PDK would be.

Over a year with PDK and I still feel like I am learning the nuances of it - more impressed all the time.

Last edited by stevepow; 09-22-2010 at 07:09 PM.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:26 PM
Two M3's at my fav BMW dealer here, United - 1 Coupe/6spd, 1 Sedan/DCT.
Z4s are mostly Step, 1 DCT
4 6Spd 3 series
3 6Spd 5 series
long story short, 12 out of 162 cars are 6spd manual.

And that is not unusual either these days. Best to order one if you want something special.

Old 09-22-2010, 07:29 PM
Sloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of light
I have the manual and love it and would consider another one, however, PDK is a strong consideration.

How many have ever mastered left foot breaking with excellent modulation, or as good at left foot breaking as your right.

My point is that PDK still offers some driving excitement in the from of skill improvement.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Survival of the manual transmission