997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Survival of the manual transmission

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 08:07 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
I love this topic. I bought an '03 M3 SMG and was convinced that the end of the manual transmission was near. Not immediately, but certainly immenently. I've stated before what I've read (Google it or whatever) - only 10% of licensed drivers CAN drive stick. A fair portion of them own automatics anyway. If you want to guarantee yourself a car you will have a real hard time selling (but maybe get lucky with), order a car that no dealer has in stick. Like an X3 or a Cayenne. You will love it, but there are no buyers for it. I suspect an E90 M3 sedan with 6 spd is also a very limited market.
Well, the manual is not dead, but it has been dealt some very tough blows in the offerings from Ferrari and Lambo. As all observe, the 997 is still half sold with stick. I bet the 997 is simply an old school car. You have few owners that get an old school car with PDK. Hey, this board is full of enthusiasts. The other half of Porsche owners are poseurs driving cabs with automatics (PDK? who cares as long as I don't have to shift because I can't). The PDK may eventually eclipse the 6 spd in the 997 as well, I wonder how overall sales compare. I wouldn't be surprised if sales are already close to 50/50. Anyone have those numbers?
I love my 6 spd. Like others, the SMG was too painful (admittedly PDK is a lot better), but it just wasn't engaging. I'm blessed with a short commute and use it as a DD. If you can drive stick, you can drive in stop and go without having your foot on the clutch all the time. It is manageable. I can easily imagine after an hour it isn't worth the effort though. I can double clutch downshift and I do it all the time. There's nothing like rev matching a downshift and there are few cars with a better combination of engine response and gearbox than a 997. I love it. But I concede that the stick is on the way out. I think we are lucky because the 997 is about the only car remaining that doesn't take a used car value HIT if equipped with a stick.

Old 09-22-2010, 08:24 PM
drspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud of
ah....I remember when...

BMW M cars came exclusively with clutch pedals.

Manuals were always faster than automatics.

There was no debate whether you wanted a manual Porsche or not (b/c the only other choice was an automatic with a torque converter)

Old 09-22-2010, 10:22 PM
mseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by gravedgr
I've been a manual tranny fan for years, but when I traded my '07 for the AMG there was only one choice for transmission. Since then, it has been nice to have an auto for a lot daily driving around town, but I have really missed my clutch pedal. So when getting read to order a new 911 I did my due diligence and drove the PDK. While the launch control was fun, I just couldn't see the attraction - in auto mode it drove just like the AMG with comfort and sport modes, and in manual it was actually more disconcerting with random downshifts in sport plus mode despite a steady throttle position.

Now, if I was buying a track car PDK would 100% be the right choice. But for fun daily and weekend driving, paddles just feel too disconnected from the car. I ordered a 6 speed 2011, so there will be at least one more on the used lots in a few years.

Maybe the PDK is the best way to get around the track in the fastest way possible, but you can't beat the fun of a manual at the track. Hell, I don't care if some guy in a PDK car has a better lap time than me...no doubt my manual requires more skill than his, and therefore, in the end, offers more reward.
As for why most dealer spec'd cars have the automatics: First, most people that can now afford to buy these cars are in a demographic that doesn't like to fart around with manuals anymore. Second, the car companies are shoving them down our throats. Just like with SMG... the greatest thing on earth, right? Until something better came along!

Old 09-22-2010, 10:35 PM
gravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by stevepow
Must have been a service issue, as PDK does not shift UP in manual mode and you have to be coming to a pretty dead stop for it to auto-shift DOWN in M as well (or kick down).
Hmm...I dunno. The test drive was at Hennessy - maybe it was in an Auto mode and I didn't realize it. In any event, I'm sure its very fast at the track and very good in traffic, but it felt very disconnected to me. Even moreso than my AMG as I expect a manumatic in a MB (I know they are different, TQ conv vs. dual clutch), whereas I prefer the connected feel of the 6MT in a Porsche.

So long as everyone gets to pick what they want, its all good.

Old 09-23-2010, 08:35 AM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by gravedgr
Hmm...I dunno. The test drive was at Hennessy - maybe it was in an Auto mode and I didn't realize it. In any event, I'm sure its very fast at the track and very good in traffic, but it felt very disconnected to me. Even moreso than my AMG as I expect a manumatic in a MB (I know they are different, TQ conv vs. dual clutch), whereas I prefer the connected feel of the 6MT in a Porsche.

So long as everyone gets to pick what they want, its all good.
Yes, sounds like a learning curve issue. PDK is really great at what it does - the downshifts after a brake pedal lift in Sport mode are so perfect - I still can't time it myself in manual nearly so well. Sure, 5 or so years from now something even cooler will come out, but for now, it is quite a technical marvel.

Larry surely has the best of all worlds with the manual Turbo, the PDK S, and the M3 - a great stable.

Old 09-23-2010, 09:23 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Yes, sounds like a learning curve issue. PDK is really great at what it does - the downshifts after a brake pedal lift in Sport mode are so perfect - I still can't time it myself in manual nearly so well. Sure, 5 or so years from now something even cooler will come out, but for now, it is quite a technical marvel.

Larry surely has the best of all worlds with the manual Turbo, the PDK S, and the M3 - a great stable.
if they will make GT3 car with PDK - I will buy it. As of now - I am quite happy with what I have even if I am way less than perfect with my shifting. It is a great fun.

Last edited by utkinpol; 09-23-2010 at 09:33 AM.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:25 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
^ +1. I can't think of a better track car.

(Well, yes, I can - arguably: 430 Scud)

Old 09-23-2010, 09:38 AM
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute
as long as Porsche continues to offer stick in their sport cars, I don`t care whether the PDK is faster or if it accounts for 99%+ of the sales.

what makes life interesting is the choices that we can have, doesn`t matter good or bad choices, just choices.

Old 09-23-2010, 09:51 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Targa Tim
as long as Porsche continues to offer stick in their sport cars, I don`t care whether the PDK is faster or if it accounts for 99%+ of the sales.

what makes life interesting is the choices that we can have, doesn`t matter good or bad choices, just choices.
What I like about what Porsche is doing (instead of Nissan with the GT-R, and Ferrari with the Enzo or 430 Scud, etc..., or California) is that they are still giving the option to choose the transmission (but they are charging a premium for one over the other).

You're right. It's about choices. I hope we continue to have them... But I'm not optimistic about it.

Old 09-30-2010, 05:27 AM
uhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant future
My dealer in ATL, Hennessy, has 25 911s in current inventory, 14 of them are 6spd - and that seems typical for them. I'd expect a lot of 6spds buyers still around for 911s now, but not really for BMW - they have moved into a different market almost completely from the BMW that I used to know.

Caymam - 2 of 9 are 6spd
Boxster 2 of 16 are 6spd

So my gut guess is that 911s, the classic, is appealing to older buyers who are long-time 6-spd fans, and that the others are appealing to younger buyers - and possibly track buyers looking for performance. Or I could be just tripping.
Exactly why I am abandoning the BMW ship. Can't wait to get into a 911 and own a proper manual. I bought my M5 convinced by the dealer that my test drive would not do it justice and I had to learn the SMG transmission. Well I learnt to hate it. Then my dealer convinced me that the MC3 DCT is the best thing since sliced bread, I tried it and while the shifts were nice up and down it got annoying and felt like an automatic. Yes Manual is out the door which is probably why I am glad we still have Porsche and the option to buy one. I have drooled over the Targa for years and can't wait to finally get into one this spring; it will most definitely be a manual. The rest of the world can switch, I am just excited that there is a car company out there still catering to the manual enthusiasts in the upper premium market, something I gather all manufacturers are abandoning for the sake of sales and profit.

Last edited by uhn2000; 09-30-2010 at 05:39 AM.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:18 AM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by uhn2000
Exactly why I am abandoning the BMW ship. Can't wait to get into a 911 and own a proper manual. I bought my M5 convinced by the dealer that my test drive would not do it justice and I had to learn the SMG transmission. Well I learnt to hate it. Then my dealer convinced me that the MC3 DCT is the best thing since sliced bread, I tried it and while the shifts were nice up and down it got annoying and felt like an automatic. Yes Manual is out the door which is probably why I am glad we still have Porsche and the option to buy one. I have drooled over the Targa for years and can't wait to finally get into one this spring; it will most definitely be a manual. The rest of the world can switch, I am just excited that there is a car company out there still catering to the manual enthusiasts in the upper premium market, something I gather all manufacturers are abandoning for the sake of sales and profit.
I don't get it - both the current M3 and outgoing M5 can be had as manuals. It won't make them a Porsche, but I don't see how transmission type is a reason to not get a BMW. Getting a 911, 6spd or PDK; that could be a good reason.

Old 09-30-2010, 09:48 AM
^ +1. "convinced by the dealer" - ?

The dealer had an SMG in stock, and wanted to move it. He doesn't give a rat's a$$ about how well it shifts. He wants you to think it's the best car for about 5 minutes while you sign the dotted line.

Old 09-30-2010, 11:19 AM
jakesdad is a jewel in the roughjakesdad is a jewel in the roughjakesdad is a jewel in the rough
I went into the showroom looking for a Black exterior/Beige interior/Manual Trans/Convertible car in mind... I left with a Porsche Racing Green/Beige interior/Automatic/Coupe..

ONE OUTTA FOUR AIN'T TOO BAD....

Suffice to say -- I'm flexible.....

The Green is growing on me.
Coupe turned out the way to go..
PDK trans is wonderful...
and I hate the Beige interior....

Three outta four ain't bad...

Old 09-30-2010, 02:59 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
lol! Another thread about PDK/DCT vs traditional single clutch manual gearboxes...

I went to my Porsche dealership two weeks ago, and there was not a 6sp manual to be found. Autos and PDK's filled the lot (+1 on the Cayennes, and Panameras are the most popular vehicle there as well).

Yep, because you are on a lot in America. Land of the generally big fat lazy people with lots of money to burn.

The Golf (3 door or 5 door) can be had with a 6 speed manual...well outside of the US.

In Germany, its not an issue, you order the combo of engine and transmission you want.

In the US, where the way most folks buy cars is from stock on the lot and for the badge rather than the performance, and with the poor driver training we generally get... yeah, automatics are going to be more popular. And its crowding out the manual gearbox.

Part of it could be progress too... we don't have to double clutch anymore either... nor turn a crank on the engine to start the thing.

Another thought on why less 6-spds on the lot at Porsche.. .maybe those folks that want and buy a 6-spd know what they want and tend to order cars built exactly how they want them.. so those cars don't sit around on the lot.

I share in the frustration with the lack of options usually given the US car purchasers. Audi, for example, provides a much better looking car in the A3 than the Golf. But Audi USA decided America should not be allowed to get a TDI A3 with a manual gear box. Pft. What the hell, you cannot even order one. Then what you want 4wd... nope, cannot get that in the combo you want either... the accountants decided that combo with your other options would be too expensive and no one would buy it. Hey, I'm not asking you to stock them on the lot, but since I know the Audi factory builds them, whats the problem with building me one with a US based airbag/cluster/lighting configuration, slapping on the nanny stickers and shipping it to the US. After all, ALL the parts are available in US Audi cars already.. just not all on the same car.

Old 09-30-2010, 04:47 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Minok
Yep, because you are on a lot in America. Land of the generally big fat lazy people with lots of money to burn.

The Golf (3 door or 5 door) can be had with a 6 speed manual...well outside of the US.

In Germany, its not an issue, you order the combo of engine and transmission you want.

In the US, where the way most folks buy cars is from stock on the lot and for the badge rather than the performance, and with the poor driver training we generally get... yeah, automatics are going to be more popular. And its crowding out the manual gearbox. ....

The Golf 2-door is available in the US in manual, last I checked.

I think you should check your stats. Lots of 911s sold in Germany (to Germans) with tiptronic and now with PDK.

Last... your comment "[America] Land of the generally big fat lazy people with lots of money to burn" is simply garbage. If you are an American you should be ashamed. If you are a foreigner, you are welcome to return to your homeland. The 'fat and lazy Americans with money to burn' rebuilt Germany and keep its industry humming by buying 50% of its automotive output.

Last edited by adias; 09-30-2010 at 04:49 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Survival of the manual transmission