997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Survival of the manual transmission

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 08:59 PM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
Ditto. Like these two responses, this anti-american post was just inaccurate and offensive. I was struggling with a response that would pass the 'monitored thread' test. So yes, unlike many countries likely with leaner inhabitants, we have lots of open exit doors in this one. Just don't let the customs office door hit you in the butt on your way out.

Originally Posted by Perkman87
I agree with you 1000% If you dont like it leave

Old 10-02-2010, 09:31 AM
RF5BPilot is just really niceRF5BPilot is just really niceRF5BPilot is just really niceRF5BPilot is just really niceRF5BPilot is just really nice
Manual transmissions will probably become more rare in the coming years. With the govt pushing for 62mpg standards by 2025, the pressure will be to sell automatics to help assure mileage.

Wouldn't surprise me if we eventually get to a nanny state that monitors how a car is used and places taxes/fees on spirited driving (not unlike the variable toll roads). If fusion reactors ever come on line in a big way, that will probably be a game changer. As imagined, they would wildly reduce the cost of electricity--making electric vehicles much less expensive to operate.

This may be the golden twilight of combustion engines in cars.

But -- you can already get a "sound enhancer" for your car that pipes rumbling V8 sounds through the speakers of your econo-box, varies the tone and sounds as your RPM's change. For a new generation that has grown up on video games, it will seem pretty familiar.

Old 10-05-2010, 05:10 AM
monster1 is infamous around these parts
here in blighty we like our manuals - although the newer paddle changes are gaining ground, but manual will be around for a long time yet! until we are all electric

Old 10-05-2010, 06:59 PM
LPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to behold
PDK from a rolling 55 mph

I've owned many manuals and an '07 c4 with the 6-speed. I do love driving a stick . . . and my wife actual can as well. The MiniS was a great set of training wheels. I agree that the efficiency of the new pdk's together with the added flexibility will increase the pcar use (I'm getting +25 mpg at 80 mph constant).

Gotta say that there is nothing (that I've driven) like passing with the pdk; from 55 mph (say it's third gear at 3,500 rpm) and WOW you're over 80 in three seconds and at 100 in 4 1/2. The car(s) you passed are sooo far away ! A similar 'event' in s 6 speed and the car isn't even moving at 70 mph in 4 1/2 seconds. But since I own one I've become a bit opinionated.

Old 10-06-2010, 04:39 PM
simoncpj is infamous around these parts
Ultimately economics will dictate the demise (or not) of the manual transmission. With high-end marques dropping manuals as an option, we will see increased costs in R&D, sourcing transmissions and/or parts, etc. Interestingly, if manual transmissions remain low cost options, what keeps them alive may be commercial vehicles, emerging markets and manufacturers like TaTa or Cherry.

Or, the performance gap will become so significant Porsche no longer wants to sell a "slow" transmission for PR reasons.

Old 10-30-2010, 06:19 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Tbird
I purchased a 2010 135i M 6-speed for my 110-mile daily commute on Michigan US 31. I got a Dinnon chip and Dinnon exhaust and I am 110% satified. The car is a dream to drive and has real attitude - yet if I want to cruise it's a perfect daily driver - 30miles to the gallon in 6th gear at 80MPH.
I had a 2007 Carerra S and this car is faster.

I had a hotdog in a 2001 Carrera Turbo roll up next to me and when I looked back at 125MPH he was 100 feet behind me.

Moral: don't even consider an automatic.
I dunno... If you saw me, and you were traveling 125mph on a street, I'd be behind you too. I'm not preaching or anything, but you don't know my intentions as a driver.

Old 10-30-2010, 08:28 PM
superbike81 is a name known to allsuperbike81 is a name known to allsuperbike81 is a name known to allsuperbike81 is a name known to allsuperbike81 is a name known to allsuperbike81 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Verde
Ditto. Like these two responses, this anti-american post was just inaccurate and offensive. I was struggling with a response that would pass the 'monitored thread' test. So yes, unlike many countries likely with leaner inhabitants, we have lots of open exit doors in this one. Just don't let the customs office door hit you in the butt on your way out.
Offensive? Sure if you take offense to that kind of thing. Innacurate? Not completely, we do have a MAJOR weight problem in America, although there are other countires out there that are "fatter." As Americans many of us don't like to admit that we have a huge weight problem. I attribute most of it to the way that many exploit their personal "freedoms" and "rights."

On subject though, I've always been about overall speed, so whatever gets me there the fastest is the best for me. Before dual clutch gearboxes were readily available to the consumer, a manual transmission was faster on the track than the auto slushbox. But now dual clutch gearboxes are faster, and they have the side benefit of making driving through rush hour traffic more bearable.

So I'm all for the death of the manual transmission, but I never really enjoyed shifting anyways (I've only owned two automatic cars out of of about 20). We have a more efficient, faster replacement now for the manual gearbox, and I'm all for it.

Oh and yeah, I'm sure that slightly modded 135i is pretty quick, but at the end of he day, you are still is a damn near bottom of the barrel BMW. I could build a Honda Civic that would destroy your 135i up to 125mph and beyond, but I won't, because it's a Honda Civic. I'd take a "slower" 997 over a "scraping the bottom of the barrel" 135i.

Last edited by superbike81; 10-30-2010 at 08:32 PM.
Old 10-31-2010, 01:31 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by superbike81
Oh and yeah, I'm sure that slightly modded 135i is pretty quick, but at the end of he day, you are still is a damn near bottom of the barrel BMW. I could build a Honda Civic that would destroy your 135i up to 125mph and beyond, but I won't, because it's a Honda Civic. I'd take a "slower" 997 over a "scraping the bottom of the barrel" 135i.
Although I agree with your perspective about the manual transmission / dual clutch being faster, easier, more efficient, etc... Take it easy on the guy. We all know we could make a Honda Civic outrun a Veyron, doesn't make it a Veyron (which, I know was exactly your point). The 135i is a pretty damn fun car.