997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Third Radiator - 997.2

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 09:36 AM
Ahmet is infamous around these parts
That is true up to and including the 997 MK1 GT3, however with the current GT3 they removed some anchorage points from the tub where the rear seatbelts mount, and went from a double layer to single where the rear "seats" are. This was in an effort to remove weight, and other changes were made as well, including removing roof rack mounting points/tabs, etc.

There's speculation that the GT3 tub has more seam welding done, etc. but I've never been able to substantiate that.

Old 09-06-2010, 09:40 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
I think the rear seat in a GT3 comes down to seat belts. I remember a thread where someone put rear seats in a 997.1GT3.

I think saying Porsche will never put a PDK in a GT3 is being shirt sighted, I am sure it will happen one day.

Last edited by NorthVan; 09-06-2010 at 09:42 AM.
Old 09-06-2010, 12:25 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Ahmet
That is true up to and including the 997 MK1 GT3, however with the current GT3 they removed some anchorage points from the tub where the rear seatbelts mount, and went from a double layer to single where the rear "seats" are. This was in an effort to remove weight, and other changes were made as well, including removing roof rack mounting points/tabs, etc.

There's speculation that the GT3 tub has more seam welding done, etc. but I've never been able to substantiate that.
interesting.
well, gt3 is a track toy and probably it makes sense to price and build it accordingly bypassing all those fools like me who also want to cheat and use it for kids transportation...

Old 09-06-2010, 04:21 PM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
I may be the forum member to whom you are referring with regard to the installation of the center radiator. I've got a 997.1 (S/Cab - 2005) and installed the center radiator:
- After installing the GT3 front bumper and not liking the look of the solid 'plug' that is there in lieu of the air intake/radiator;
- Similarly thinking that the exhaust vent on top of the GT3 bumper was cosmetic only without an intake/radiator system;
- Just a believer that more cooling capacity is always better, whether is is rarely required or not;
- Enjoying a fun 'hack' on my car with my (then) 19 year-old son who was interested in learning about servicing the car.
It was a relatively easy but lengthy process, most of which was time spent carefully removing and installing the new front GT3 bumper. The install of the radiator was really trivial. An amazingly well engineered and simple process.
Since my experience was with a 997.1 and not a .2, I can't be sure how much of this transfers, but I suspect it's all much the same.
Anyway, as noted above, whether the modification is necessary is subject to question by many forum members. But no one can argue that it is a bad thing. And if I was to frequently track the car, I would think it's a good thing to do.
V.

Originally Posted by PT Doc
Hopefully a solid authority will chime in but I was under the impression that the 2010 parts would be retrofittable to previous model years. I am pretty sure than at lest one forum member has added a center rad though. Try the search function-it might save you and the dealer alot of time and headache and therefore money also.