997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Third Radiator - 997.2

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 06:12 PM
brendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond repute
Third Radiator - 997.2

My 2009 C2S is running a bit hot on hot days at the track. it's up around 275-280 degrees oil temp. i've blown out the rads and made sure there is no debris and i'm running no A/C. fluid levels are good. In any regard, this seems a little hot to me, despite Porsche telling me it's OK.

my understanding is that the 2011 PDKs have a third radiator. after some research, I found a 3rd radiator for the car that's on the tequipment parts list (997 044 100 15). all parts come to about $400-500 roughly.

any thoughts from others on:
  • do you see similar temps on the track?
  • more info on the 2011s
  • links to 997.2 grill screens (my searches here show many links to 997.1 screens, but not the newer version)? a center radiator will be more vulnerable than the side rads, IMO
  • other things i may have missed?
thanks much,

Brendo

Old 08-31-2010, 09:38 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Brendo I too see around 300 degree oil temps at the track. For the street the oil temps are fine but like you at the track in the summer they really push up pretty high.

I've been thinking of doing this mod if I think I am keeping this car which I'm really not sure and do not think I will keep it another 1-2 years.

Old 08-31-2010, 10:20 PM
brendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by mdrums
Brendo I too see around 300 degree oil temps at the track. For the street the oil temps are fine but like you at the track in the summer they really push up pretty high.

I've been thinking of doing this mod if I think I am keeping this car which I'm really not sure and do not think I will keep it another 1-2 years.
ok, i'm not crazy. i'm going to have the barrier motors put it in (my dealer) and i'll try to be there for some pics.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:04 AM
PT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond repute
Hopefully a solid authority will chime in but I was under the impression that the 2010 parts would be retrofittable to previous model years. I am pretty sure than at lest one forum member has added a center rad though. Try the search function-it might save you and the dealer alot of time and headache and therefore money also.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:15 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
I'm really not sure and do not think I will keep it another 1-2 years.
what new car have you decided upon, if you made up your mind already?

Old 09-01-2010, 10:27 AM
Originally Posted by PT Doc
Hopefully a solid authority will chime in but I was under the impression that the 2010 parts would be retrofittable to previous model years. I am pretty sure than at lest one forum member has added a center rad though. Try the search function-it might save you and the dealer alot of time and headache and therefore money also.
it's under the "super-hot country" option and the dealer / parts lists indicated it's a viable tequipment option. lots of searching prior to post, tx.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:32 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by utkinpol
what new car have you decided upon, if you made up your mind already?
Hopefully a GT3 with PDK! but I'll see whats out there with a sequential and/or dual clutch system in a year or 2.

My wants and needs for a sports car are very different than most all on these forums.

Old 09-02-2010, 06:33 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Brendo, a centre radiator is a good idea. I have it on my list of mods that I want to add one day. I am surprised the Porsche dropped this on the early model PDK cars, as they were standard on the 997 Tiptronics, and are now on the new PDK's. What does that tell you?

Old 09-02-2010, 10:19 AM
Originally Posted by NorthVan
Brendo, a centre radiator is a good idea. I have it on my list of mods that I want to add one day. I am surprised the Porsche dropped this on the early model PDK cars, as they were standard on the 997 Tiptronics, and are now on the new PDK's. What does that tell you?
i think it tells me porsche is like my wife with a strong "admit nothing" policy - but in the end, they do the right thing.

Old 09-02-2010, 10:22 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by brendo
i think it tells me porsche is like my wife with a strong "admit nothing" policy - but in the end, they do the right thing.
Perhaps, but if they were doing the right thing, they would do a recall on all 997.2's with an automatic transmission and only 2 radiators and do the install on the car for no charge.

Old 09-02-2010, 09:05 PM
Van is correct....Porsche is not doing the right thing for the 09-10 PDK owners. However for the street there does not seem to be much of a problem on the street. the real problem is hot weather at the track.

Old 09-02-2010, 09:20 PM
Howie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to behold
Hopefully a GT3 with PDK! but I'll see whats out there with a sequential and/or dual clutch system in a year or 2.

My wants and needs for a sports car are very different than most all on these forums.
I read/heard from some porsche literature that they would never do a PDK GT3... To keep it focused for driver involvement.

Old 09-06-2010, 01:59 AM
install started

i still need a good source for screens but we've started the install

Attached Images   
Old 09-06-2010, 08:52 AM
Originally Posted by Howie
I read/heard from some porsche literature that they would never do a PDK GT3... To keep it focused for driver involvement.
That is not Porsche saying that...that is some magazine writer. Porsche basically does this with the sequential trannies on the Cup cars. Walter Rohl has been quoted talking about PDK in a GT3.

Old 09-06-2010, 09:12 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
That is not Porsche saying that...that is some magazine writer. Porsche basically does this with the sequential trannies on the Cup cars. Walter Rohl has been quoted talking about PDK in a GT3.
IF they will do it I will bite the bullet as well. I do not think I will ever master downshifts with heel&toe to the level how PDK does it. It is better to swallow the pride and let computer to do that.

I am just skeptical of what actual life expectancy for PDK will be in such a hard core usage car. I do not think it will be easy/cheap to service those dual clutch disks inside of PDK...

BTW, non-related question: what is done differently in the GT3 interior so it does not allow the install of rear seats? I was under impression Porsche uses same chassis for both C2S and GT3 cars, so all welding points and mounts were sort of expected to be the same, was it not?

Last edited by utkinpol; 09-06-2010 at 09:16 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Third Radiator - 997.2