997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Aftermarket Wings and the Stock Spoiler

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 05:29 PM
thor7000 is infamous around these parts
Looks like all of Stu's posts have been removed...LOL

Old 10-09-2010, 08:14 PM
like7272 is infamous around these parts
I have same point with you,
I am considering GT3 wing for the car, but it's too expensive!!!

Old 10-09-2010, 08:33 PM
sizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond repute
The beauty of the stock 997 spoiler is that it pops up when it needs to. the car looks so much better without all kinds of plastic tacked onto it.

Old 10-09-2010, 08:55 PM
TomE is a jewel in the roughTomE is a jewel in the roughTomE is a jewel in the roughTomE is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by sizquik
The beauty of the stock 997 spoiler is that it pops up when it needs to. The car looks so much better without all kinds of plastic tacked onto it.
Word.

So long as you're footing the bill, you get to do whatever you want.
Chop it. Drop it. Flame it. Whatever.
But there's a reason it looks like it does -
Because it looks great.

Old 10-10-2010, 12:14 AM
robfxlr is a glorious beacon of lightrobfxlr is a glorious beacon of lightrobfxlr is a glorious beacon of lightrobfxlr is a glorious beacon of lightrobfxlr is a glorious beacon of light
IMHO, aftermarket fixed spoilers are one thing, but, please, for the sake of us other P car owners, don't manually leave your spoiler up- it's embarassing and poserish. It invites the behavior of jealous people taking potshots at our unattended P cars. There are enough posers out there, P car owners are not in that league- I think.

Old 10-10-2010, 05:22 AM
PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by robfxlr
IMHO, aftermarket fixed spoilers are one thing, but, please, for the sake of us other P car owners, don't manually leave your spoiler up- it's embarassing and poserish. It invites the behavior of jealous people taking potshots at our unattended P cars. There are enough posers out there, P car owners are not in that league- I think.
I doubt that 20% of people would know if the spoiler is supposed to be up or down at any given time. If somebody is looking to cause some damage having the spoiler up or down would be immaterial.

Old 10-10-2010, 02:45 PM
Dial911 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Mark Ducati
Ever since I was a kid and enjoyed looking at sports cars in general... the one thing that I always loved about Porsche was the fabled "Whale Tail"
Mark I agree 100%. As a teenager (43 now) I had posters of Porsches, motorcycles, oh yeah and bikini's all over my room. And what made a 911 Turbo so cool to me was the whale tail. (And really liked the slant nose option also)

I had a 2006 Boxster S until about 3 weeks ago and had been leisurely looking around at 911's but not even close to serious. I took my Boxster in for routine service and on the used car lot was a 911 4S with factory Aero.

I just kept coming back to it as I looked around the lot waiting for my car. Long story short, a test drive & chat later it was in my garage.

Don't interpret this as me disliking my non-winged brothers but the turbo and this aero kit just do it for me...

Old 10-10-2010, 08:20 PM
tourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud of
This is a silly statement

Originally Posted by robfxlr
I like my spoiler up and I'm sure 95 percent of the population does not even notice it. To very candid I would assume 95 percent of the population does not even notice our cars at all. While they are great cars the shape has been around forever and has become very familiar to everyone.

Old 10-11-2010, 09:14 AM
PHOENIX RISING is infamous around these parts
^an interesting perspective^.

Not to jack the thread, but, contributing to your point there is an article in one of the more prominent magazines (this month) about the 911 Turbo vs. the new ZR1. Now, I will say that I would choose the Turbo hands down, regardless. I love the 911 Turbo. Anway, the author/columist noted how the ZR1 drew attention and how many people stopped an asked him about it. Including the fact that a girl left a red lipstick imprint on his window. The point being that 911s are beautiful but unassuming and personally, I like it that way.

Old 10-11-2010, 01:58 PM
Jack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by PHOENIX RISING
^an interesting perspective^.

Not to jack the thread, but, contributing to your point there is an article in one of the more prominent magazines (this month) about the 911 Turbo vs. the new ZR1. Now, I will say that I would choose the Turbo hands down, regardless. I love the 911 Turbo. Anway, the author/columist noted how the ZR1 drew attention and how many people stopped an asked him about it. Including the fact that a girl left a red lipstick imprint on his window. The point being that 911s are beautiful but unassuming and personally, I like it that way.
I think the other point of your post is that people do notice cars and their details. One might think that the current Corvette look has been around for ~10 years (I'm no expert) with a slight tweak a few years ago, and that a ZR1 would just look like any other 'vette to 95% of the population. However, that it drew so much attn is a statement that people do notice these things, and might notice that a 911 turbo is more special than a C2, and that the spoiler is up, etc.

Old 10-11-2010, 03:40 PM
Mark Ducati is infamous around these partsMark Ducati is infamous around these parts
Yeah, Stu's gone...

But, the gentleman who is developing a whale tail for the 997.2... I don't want to risk posting pics here or give his website again as to appear to be advertising for him.

If any of you would like to see pictures of stu's car with the wing installed (test fited, not painted) please pm your email addy and I will forward the email with pics if you want to check them out.

Regards,
Mark

Old 10-22-2010, 09:11 AM
jbauza is infamous around these parts
Look on Ebay and you may find an used spoiler in good condition. I personally like the spoiler of the turbo and found one with the decklid for one third of the cost of the new one. It is being painted and hopefully will be installed next week.