997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Aftermarket Wings and the Stock Spoiler

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 11:54 AM
Mark Ducati is infamous around these partsMark Ducati is infamous around these parts
Aftermarket Wings and the Stock Spoiler

Ever since I was a kid and enjoyed looking at sports cars in general... the one thing that I always loved about Porsche was the fabled "Whale Tail"

I'd really like to have a GT2 or GT3 style tail on my 997... but I'd have a hard time coughing up $3000+ (which I don't have anyways) for even an aftermarket tail...

Why do these tails cost so much? Is the manufacturing of them really that labor intensive? Or is it just because of the Porsche "label"?

Secondly, for those of you with the standard vented rear... I'm curious, how many of you use the manual button to open it up when you're just driving around town below 75mph (I think that's the speed its opens automatically)?

I do, just because I like the way it looks.... kinda like the guys that open the Murcielago Batwings at will.

Old 09-03-2010, 12:06 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
The pricing is R&D, cost of manufacturing, as well as what the market will bare.

As for leaving the tail up, I rarely do.

Old 09-03-2010, 12:35 PM
silver329 is a jewel in the roughsilver329 is a jewel in the roughsilver329 is a jewel in the roughsilver329 is a jewel in the rough
leaving the tail up is try-hard

Old 09-03-2010, 02:16 PM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
I virtually never manually operate the rear wing on my 997S Cab. With the cab, it just doesn't seem necessary, it's not clear what incremental value it provides, and it's just not very attractive. I haven't had the time to test it out (top up or down) at truly high speeds to determine it's effectiveness. I'd really like to hear from other cab owners on what they think about the value of the wing at 'high' speeds.
Separately, I'm constantly on the lookout for a permanent wing for my cab, that looks good, provides consistent value at all pertinent speeds, and doesn't look too 'boy racer' styled.
Thanks,
V

Old 09-03-2010, 02:43 PM
lacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by silver329

+1:d

Old 10-09-2010, 02:32 AM
tourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud of
I must be trying to hard

because I like the look of the stock spoiler being open. I think it gives it just enough of a racey look without being over the top.

Old 10-09-2010, 06:06 AM
PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Verde
I haven't had the time to test it out (top up or down) at truly high speeds to determine it's effectiveness. I'd really like to hear from other cab owners on what they think about the value of the wing at 'high' speeds.
Well, Porsche thinks it's effective enough to make it deploy automatically at speed to counteract lift. Should the spoiler fail to deploy correctly you will get a warning message.

If my wife is driving, the first thing she does is put up the spoiler. Why? Becasue she loves the look. I gave up trying to talk her out of it.

Old 10-09-2010, 06:52 AM
thor7000 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by StuWoodring
Check out Fiberwerks areo in Auburndale Fl for fantastic whale tail and other effects for your 997. Karl just fabricated the first one for my Yellow 997 Cab and it looks Killer.. Better than anything I've seen on the market.. Check him out if you get a chance and the prices are fantastic..Under a grand for a Tail??? with perfect fit and finish.. I love it!!!!!!!!!! Stu
You got any pics of your new tail?? Will be down in St. Pete's next week, would like to see it on the car if possible.

Old 10-09-2010, 10:45 AM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by silver329

plus, it is unattractive - I don't mind it at speed though, since I don't have to look at it.

Old 10-09-2010, 11:05 AM
henrysko is infamous around these partshenrysko is infamous around these parts
The standard tail was designed/engineered to operate manually so I just leave it at that.

However, I do like the look of the factory aero spoiler.

Old 10-09-2010, 01:15 PM
Dave's911 is infamous around these parts
Can't see any pictures of it on the Fiberwerks website.

Old 10-09-2010, 03:30 PM
gravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond repute
Stu, not to be a jerk, but you've posted only 6 times and every one in the last day or so pimping an aftermarket product you allegedly have no association with. You sound suspiciously like a vendor 'plant' which the mods look down upon.

Not saying you are, but until you contribute something other than "hey, call this guy for an aftermarket wing"....that's what it looks like.

Old 10-09-2010, 03:31 PM
WHITE S is infamous around these parts
lol... he really likes fiberworks

Old 10-09-2010, 04:00 PM
911nojoke has a spectacular aura about911nojoke has a spectacular aura about911nojoke has a spectacular aura about
putting the wing up manually is super lame-o...imho...

Old 10-09-2010, 04:12 PM
bosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Mark Ducati

For those of you with the standard vented rear... I'm curious, how many of you use the manual button to open it up when you're just driving around town below 75mph (I think that's the speed its opens automatically)?

I do, just because I like the way it looks.... kinda like the guys that open the Murcielago Batwings at will.

Do what makes you happy and don't worry about what anybody else here thinks....it's you car and if you like to do it then all the power to you!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Wings and the Stock Spoiler