997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

What does a re-painted panel do to the resale value of a car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 11:56 AM
Mark Ducati is infamous around these partsMark Ducati is infamous around these parts
I would think that if its a quality job then it shouldn't matter... on the Lambo board, the guys often talk about respraying the hood and front bumper due to rock chips/etc like its no big deal.

I think the only time an explanation might be necessary is in a case like mine where someone backed into the rear of my car (hit and run, no note) and I had to have new bumper installed. $2000 fix! So I put it on my insurance as I don't have a deductible in the State of GA for a hit and run accident. So carfax will show a report.

Old 09-10-2010, 03:11 PM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
When I returned my Mercedes lease with a repainted rear bumper for a minor scrape, they didn't charge me anything extra. It was repaired by the dealer, and well done by the way, so there was no question that car had the bumper repainted. Based on that experience I don't see why I'd offer someone $ 1,500 less for a repair that the dealer felt was back to factory spec.

Last edited by Dadio; 09-11-2010 at 04:23 PM. Reason: Typing errors.
Old 09-10-2010, 03:27 PM
sizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond repute
Also, what happens when an undelivered car is damaged at the dealer and fixed? Is this damage / repair ever disclosed?

Old 09-10-2010, 03:53 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sizquik
Also, what happens when an undelivered car is damaged at the dealer and fixed? Is this damage / repair ever disclosed?
I know that this is never the case, the general rule is even at delivery of a new car if there is an unhappy client due to a blemish or scratch the dealer will repaint it.

Old 09-10-2010, 04:53 PM
sizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by NorthVan
I know that this is never the case, the general rule is even at delivery of a new car if there is an unhappy client due to a blemish or scratch the dealer will repaint it.
That said, the car could be on the lot and have had paint/repair work done prior to sale without the customer even knowing. Even Larry's turbo could have had a repaired panel and he may not have been able to spot it.

Old 09-10-2010, 09:41 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sizquik
I once leased a BMW where they not only disclosed the scratches on the trunk but gave me the documentation from the port and offered me to wait if I orded the same car .
Since I wasn't buying the car I didn't care . With a two year lease I opted to have them paint the trunk ,provide a loaner , give me a good price and let me drive it home.