997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

ECU Tune/Flash?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 06:34 PM
bogart101 is just really nicebogart101 is just really nicebogart101 is just really nicebogart101 is just really nice
ECU Tune/Flash?

It seems there are many choices here.

I've read a number of posts but am curious if there is a "best" solution for a 997.1 S? Upsides and downsides. I don't track the car but may to learn a little more and I'm wondering what your experience/opinions are. At this point there are no mods but I am considering AWE Cats & Cans.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks All.

Old 09-12-2010, 07:27 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
If that $1000 is burning a whole in you pocket then get it. I suggest Softronics. I had it in my 07...no issues at all. It not a night and day feel on a n/a with no real mods. The current ECU can cope with muffler changes.

Old 09-12-2010, 09:43 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
I too have the Softronic, and no complaints. I find that the power curve is smoother, but I don't find any change in power. I also had GIAC on my first 997, and I didn't like it at all...a total waste. I was reluctant to add the softronic after my GIAC experience.

Old 09-12-2010, 10:03 PM
zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !
Have softronics, its OK not a very noticeable difference. I had a lot of different inputs as you will probably have, but I had to find out for myself. NO regrets but probably would not do again with a NA car.

Old 09-12-2010, 10:16 PM
cgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to behold
IMHO, cannot get much out of a NA engine, i had softronics in my 997 didnt notice any difference except a bit in the top end was smooth. thats all. i now have a 997 turbo, now tunning that is different...

Old 09-13-2010, 05:33 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bogart101
It seems there are many choices here.

I've read a number of posts but am curious if there is a "best" solution for a 997.1 S? Upsides and downsides. I don't track the car but may to learn a little more and I'm wondering what your experience/opinions are. At this point there are no mods but I am considering AWE Cats & Cans.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks All.
do 200cell cats and softronic as a package, but do not flash your car if you do not change your cats. cans are irrelevant.

Old 09-13-2010, 06:31 AM
wmclarenf1 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by utkinpol
do 200cell cats and softronic as a package, but do not flash your car if you do not change your cats. cans are irrelevant.
Hi,

How does the chemistry of 200 cel cats and softronic work where presumably it could be suggested 200 cels and softronic may not be as effective on their own.

Does softronic really deliver close to 30 bhp and more than 30 nm? I would have thought these numbers are quite good and should be very noticeable?

Considerating Softronic and/or a Sprint Booster for the throttle lag. Thanks in advance.

Old 09-13-2010, 07:07 AM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
To notice any little bit of more power from a Porsche N/A engine you are going to have to spend thousands and thousands of dollars. A ECU flash will not do anything, You are going to have to get more air and fuel in and out of the engine. To really make a difference you will need to balance the crankshaft, port the heads use different size valves, possibly a different cam and fuel injectors, 200 cell cats and free flowing mufflers and tuned headers.. Then you will need a ECU reprogram.

If you want your car to be faster go spend some seat time and money going to DE's and AutoX's.

Old 09-13-2010, 07:53 AM
herbie911 is infamous around these parts
How about those who got the X51 kit on their car?

Will one liberate more HP with a remap?

My OPC told me that the X51 kit on my car run a different map compare with the standard car as the inlet is completely redesign to flow more air for the engine to breath. Even the spark plugs have different heat ranges!

I am looking at FVD and Softtrionic-They are the only one that will let you keep the original map where you can flash it back before any warranty work!

Last edited by herbie911; 09-13-2010 at 07:55 AM.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:11 AM
Originally Posted by herbie911
How about those who got the X51 kit on their car?

Will one liberate more HP with a remap?

My OPC told me that the X51 kit on my car run a different map compare with the standard car as the inlet is completely redesign to flow more air for the engine to breath. Even the spark plugs have different heat ranges!

I am looking at FVD and Softtrionic-They are the only one that will let you keep the original map where you can flash it back before any warranty work!
X51 does run a different map. X51 is more than just a ECu flash...X51 has internal engine mods, headers and intake bits compared to the standard 3.8 engine

Old 09-13-2010, 08:52 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by wmclarenf1
Hi,

How does the chemistry of 200 cel cats and softronic work where presumably it could be suggested 200 cels and softronic may not be as effective on their own.

Does softronic really deliver close to 30 bhp and more than 30 nm? I would have thought these numbers are quite good and should be very noticeable?

Considerating Softronic and/or a Sprint Booster for the throttle lag. Thanks in advance.
disregard sprint booster, it is a hoax. softronic flash may be ordered with permanent 'sport' mode throttle map if you want it (and you do want it ).

exact power add numbers do not exist. i got somewhat maybe close to 30hp gain in mid-range but it is a cumulative effect - essentially you do get SOME gain as ECU flash bypasses factory CO limitations and allows more aggressive usage of entire available airflow BUT it is a key element to have that increased air flow to be used in NA system.

That is why you need to remove restrictors first to see those 'gains' - put in 100 cell or 200 cell sport cats, I would keep stock mufflers, put in plenum (as it does not seem to make anything worse and _may_ improve airflow), put in oiled BMC filter panel into stock C2/C2S airbox or install dual-intake X51 or sharkwerks airbox. That is how powertrain modding looks like on 997 NA cars.
to use fabspeed or AWE is a matter of personal preference. I use fabspeed and happy with it.

Just a flash over stock 997 car with non-modded airflow will result on very subtle change of torque in 4600-5K rpm area, you will get some boost but I do not think it is worth the price. with modded airflow your hi revs power improves like crazy - and what I mean is not an overall 'powergain' - you gain a much more linear torque with no 'drops' - essentially you step on a gas and car pulls and pulls non stop until the very end plus you get RPMs limiter raised to 7500 - car runs very fast after all that on a track. Note - all that works AFTER 4.5-5K rpm. If you shift up before 5K on a street - you will simply not see any of that. it is a track mod mostly, not street. same about X51 mod - it also works in hi revs area.

if you have a street only car with no track usage intent ever - I would think TPC turbo for $12K or so they charge total is a better modding way.

Last edited by utkinpol; 09-13-2010 at 09:09 AM.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:00 AM
Originally Posted by mdrums
To notice any little bit of more power from a Porsche N/A engine you are going to have to spend thousands and thousands of dollars. A ECU flash will not do anything, You are going to have to get more air and fuel in and out of the engine. To really make a difference you will need to balance the crankshaft, port the heads use different size valves, possibly a different cam and fuel injectors, 200 cell cats and free flowing mufflers and tuned headers.. Then you will need a ECU reprogram.

If you want your car to be faster go spend some seat time and money going to DE's and AutoX's.
yep, a 'race' engine rebuild - next step of craiziness, with revs up to 8500 rpm and LWFW. but it looks to me it may be cheaper to buy a used 996 cup car instead.

Old 09-13-2010, 09:07 AM
wmclarenf1 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by utkinpol
disregard sprint booster, it is a hoax. softronic flash may be ordered with permanent 'sport' mode throttle map if you want it (and you do want it ).

exact power add numbers do not exist. i got somewhat maybe close to 30hp gain in mid-range but it is a cumulative effect - essentially you do get SOME gain as ECU flash bypasses factory CO limitations and allows more aggressive usage of entire available airflow BUT it is a key element to have that increased air flow to be used in NA system.

That is why you need to remove restrictors first to see those 'gains' - put in 100 cell or 200 cell sport cats, I would keep stock mufflers, put in plenum (as it does not seem to make anything worse and _may_ improve airflow), put in oiled BMC filter panel into stock C2/C2S airbox or install dual-intake X51 or sharkwerks airbox. That is how powertrain modding looks like on 997 NA cars.
to use fabspeed or AWE is a matter of personal preference. I use fabspeed and happy with it.

Just a flash over stock 997 car with non-modded airflow will result on very subtle change of torque in 4600-5K rpm area, you will get some boost but I do not think it is worth the price. with modded airflow your hi revs power improves like crazy - and what I mean is not an overall 'powergain' - you gain a much more linear torque with no 'drops' - essentially you step on a gas and car pulls and pulls non stop until the very end plus you get RPMs limiter raised to 7500 - car runs very fast after all that on a track. Note - all that works AFTER 4.5-5K rpm. If you shift up after 4-4.5K on a street - you will simply not see any of that. it is a track mod mostly, not street.

if you have a street only car with no track usage intent ever - I would think TPC turbo for $12K or so they charge total is a better modding way.
Thanks again. I've switched to X-51 headers and 200 cel cats already. Have also changed to a PiperCross low oiled higher flow filter.

The issue I have now is with the low end throttle lag hence the Sprint Booster thought. THe car is plenty fast enough and I do need some hard core driver training to handle her well at high speeds.

Old 09-13-2010, 09:10 AM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Go with the best and contact us www.vrtuned.com

Last edited by vividracing; 02-02-2014 at 08:12 PM.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:15 AM
Originally Posted by wmclarenf1
Thanks again. I've switched to X-51 headers and 200 cel cats already. Have also changed to a PiperCross low oiled higher flow filter.

The issue I have now is with the low end throttle lag hence the Sprint Booster thought. THe car is plenty fast enough and I do need some hard core driver training to handle her well at high speeds.
i do not dig that sprint booster thing. I would add a ecu flash and would remove any 3rd party element from throttle pedal, I just do not think it is safe to mess with electronic throttles unless you want your car to behave like a crazy camry. all those 'boosters' have untested cheap microchips in them, you have no idea how and when will it blow.

if i understand the concept correctly - that 'booster' is getting installed in between your throttle pedal and ECU, right? so it 'adjusts' throttle signal that gets transmitted to ECU.

Again, IMHO, it is much more reliable way to alter ECU behaviour how to process original pedal signal inside of ECU than to use an external box.

low end throttle 'lag' - not sure, I do not seem to have any and even with sport mufflers dyno charts did not show any 'lag'. with stock mufflers low end torque seems to be fine. So, not sure. I would try to reset ECU first (disconnect battery for 10+ minutes) again and compared how it feels.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: ECU Tune/Flash?