997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Targa roof questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 02:31 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by LMM
I bought my Targa 4s used and all the windows (including the roof and hatch) were tinted. Seeing out the back with the roof retracted was next to impossible but if I also retracted the sunshade, it made it much easier to see out the back. Took me 5 months to figure that out. Doh! Love my Targa though!!
I gotta say that buying a Targa and then heavily tinting all of the glass panels has got to be one of the most counterproductive and in my mind, stupidest things one can do. Buy a coupe' then. Who wants lots of glass but without the ability to really see the world outside of it?

My car has the sun-shade retracted about 98% of the time... only when parking on some hotter summer days do I close the shade.. but them I'm in the Puget Sound region so we don't get a lot of 85+ days up here.

While taking a drive around the Olympic peninsula this summer, the roof was open for most of the 2 day drive on US 101... came back with a pretty good sunburn on both arms and my face, it was that much fun.

The Targa just feels so much more roomy that a Coupe' Carrera would, and I've used the hatch to bring a big heavy box home from the store in my 3-door. something you could never do with just a 2-door.

Old 09-16-2010, 02:55 PM
LMM
LMM is infamous around these parts
You know, I would have thought the same thing about the tinting but I now disagree. I like the tinting. And I guess if you tint the windows, you then would have to tint the roof to make it look uniform. It really doesn't detract from the general open feeling and it does give you a bit of privacy and further protection from having the car roast while parked in the sun.

Old 09-16-2010, 06:12 PM
Frank A. is infamous around these parts
I absolutely love my Targa 4S. The roof is fantastic and the hatch is very practical for this car. For me, it is the best of both worlds.

Regards,
Frank A.

Old 09-16-2010, 07:44 PM
matrose73 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Verde
I often wonder why the Targa is not a bigger seller. Accepting that it adds a few hundred pounds of weight (up at the top of the car) thus turning off real performance zealots, most Porsche owners would likely never notice the speed and handling impact that the Targa presents.
In trade, a clear glass roof creating permanent outdoor visibility, a huge opening sunroof, and a rear hatch that radically increases the beauty and utility of the car.
Sitting in the Targa day or night is simply a great and unique experience. If I didn't live in a warm/dry area that is just perfect for a cab (with likely similar weight-induced performance penalties) I'd surely consider a Targa very closely.
Having owned a number of convertibles over the years, the 911 targa (and the current mazda miata power hardtop) seem like great ways to experience the open-top experience, while not making many of the compromises inherent in owning a true convertible/retractable hardtop (like smaller passenger compartment/trunk space, or having to fit a true hardtop for winter-driving/inclement weather.)

However, and I'm quite sure that I'm in the minority here, but the deal-breaker for me for targa vs. coupe was that the targa is not roof rack capable. Since my '09 C2S is my daily driver, and I am also an avid bicycler and frequent traveler, the ability to fit the roof rack was essential.

Attached Images  
Old 09-17-2010, 02:55 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by matrose73

However, and I'm quite sure that I'm in the minority here, but the deal-breaker for me for targa vs. coupe was that the targa is not roof rack capable. Since my '09 C2S is my daily driver, and I am also an avid bicycler and frequent traveler, the ability to fit the roof rack was essential.
That is the one big issue with the Targa design we now have. There is no roof rack option.

There are options by mounting hitch receivers in the back end of the car you can then attache a bike carrier to, but nothing factory, which is a shame. Porsche should, for the Targa, provide at least a hitch receiver solution for bike carriers as an option. If they want to avoid the liability of then having folks tow boats with the car, they could create a custom receiver interface that would not take the square post hitch systems.

Old 09-17-2010, 03:55 PM
fst64_v8pwr is infamous around these parts
good info in here!

Old 10-07-2010, 09:36 PM
mathfuzzy is infamous around these parts
Mechanicals of the 997 gen 2 Targa top?

I just bought a Gen 2 Targa 4S and am very psyched to have a Targa again. Taking delivery this Sunday.

Does anyone know the mechanical underpinnings of the current generation of Targa? I had two 993 Targas and I know that the top was placed on a Cabriolet body. A very knowledgeable salesman told me that the 997 version is based on a coupe body. This doesn't really make sense to me, but does anyone know for sure. I can't seem to find any details from a Google search.

Also, how has everyone's experience been with wind noise / sealing of the Targa top in the 997? In the 993 it was a big problem...not that I cared most of the time because the top was basically always open. I think the mechanism has gotten much better, but I'd be interested in people's experience.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by mathfuzzy; 10-07-2010 at 10:12 PM.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:57 PM
DZD
DZD is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by mathfuzzy
I just bought a Gen 2 Targa 4S and am very psyched to have a Targa again. Taking delivery this Sunday.

Does anyone know the mechanical underpinnings of the current generation of Targa? I had two 993 Targas and I know that the top was placed on a Cabriolet body. A very knowledgeable salesman told me that the 997 version is based on a coupe body. This doesn't really make sense to me, but does anyone know for sure. I can't seem to find any details from a Google search.

Also, how has everyone's experience been with wind noise / sealing of the Targa top in the 997? In the 993 it was a big problem...not that I cared most of the time because the top was basically always open. I think the mechanism has gotten much better, but I'd be interested in people's experience.

Thanks in advance!
I've always thought that the latest Targa is also based on the Cabriolet body - I'm considering one but I go back and forth between that and a C4S Cab.

I'm not sure if this bugs anyone else - but I always wondered why the Targa had to have its own unique side window proflie - one of the most beautiful parts of the 911 Coupe is the rear side window (C-Pillar) - in a recent spy photo of the 998 - I could have sworn I saw what appeared to be a Coupe with a panorama sunroof - I wonder if that will be the new Targa.

Old 10-08-2010, 10:23 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
The lines of the Rear end of the Targas are the same as the coupes. The only similarity to cab is the subwoofer being in passenger footwell instead of behind rear seats. While I agree that the coupe c-pillars are gorgeous, I think the Targas are also great looking and a little more unique. I also like the black looking top, especially on lighter colored bodies and with slightly tinted rear window.

Old 10-08-2010, 10:53 PM
mathfuzzy is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by DZD
I've always thought that the latest Targa is also based on the Cabriolet body - I'm considering one but I go back and forth between that and a C4S Cab.

I'm not sure if this bugs anyone else - but I always wondered why the Targa had to have its own unique side window proflie - one of the most beautiful parts of the 911 Coupe is the rear side window (C-Pillar) - in a recent spy photo of the 998 - I could have sworn I saw what appeared to be a Coupe with a panorama sunroof - I wonder if that will be the new Targa.
I might be (sounds as though I am) in the minority here, but I really like the rear quarter window profile of the Targa.

Not sure if you're considering buying a new or used one, but either way, it's a LOT easier to find a C4S Cab than a Targa. For me I knew all along that I was going to get a Targa, but it started to become a big enough pain to find a six speed with good options that I nearly started to look at Cabs. Glad I stayed with it though - one turned up at a local dealer - CPO - after looking all around the country. Go figure.