997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Targa roof questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 08:01 PM
gellie is infamous around these parts
Targa roof questions

What is the size difference between the targa roof vs the coupe moon roof? Also I know the back glass top flips open, but is it also removable? Thanks

Old 09-12-2010, 09:18 PM
Gj325 has a spectacular aura aboutGj325 has a spectacular aura aboutGj325 has a spectacular aura about
On new models it is not removable top slides back to just past back of seat leaves the top about 28" or so open full width of car except for track rail
Very nice not a Cab. but way better than just moonroof

Old 09-13-2010, 07:05 AM
gellie is infamous around these parts
Thanks, what is the size difference(opening) between the two? I canr seem to find one in person to compare.

Old 09-13-2010, 07:39 AM
PT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond repute
It is a huge difference. If comparing the area I would guess ~ 3x larger opening with the Targa.

Old 09-13-2010, 08:27 AM
Optical TDI is infamous around these parts
Plus the utility is great.

Old 09-14-2010, 09:56 AM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Optical TDI
Plus the utility is great.
Specifically, the opening rear hatch. And, with the subwoofer in passenger footwell (like a cab) there is more storage room in back than in a coupe. Great cars.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:14 PM
Gj325 has a spectacular aura aboutGj325 has a spectacular aura aboutGj325 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by keninirvine
Specifically, the opening rear hatch. And, with the subwoofer in passenger footwell (like a cab) there is more storage room in back than in a coupe. Great cars.
If Turbo S was available in Targa I would have ordered one.

Old 09-15-2010, 01:49 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by gellie
What is the size difference between the targa roof vs the coupe moon roof? Also I know the back glass top flips open, but is it also removable? Thanks

The Coupe sunroof is a typical sunroof. The 997.2 Targa roof is from the door all the way across to the other door, the entire width of the roof save the support above the door. It extends from just behind the rear view mirror all he way to just behind the front seats.. that whole roof section lowers and slides back.

The hatch is great. The hatch cannot be opened, however, if the roof is at all retracted (an interlock to protect the roof system).

Old 09-15-2010, 03:38 PM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
I often wonder why the Targa is not a bigger seller. Accepting that it adds a few hundred pounds of weight (up at the top of the car) thus turning off real performance zealots, most Porsche owners would likely never notice the speed and handling impact that the Targa presents.
In trade, a clear glass roof creating permanent outdoor visibility, a huge opening sunroof, and a rear hatch that radically increases the beauty and utility of the car.
Sitting in the Targa day or night is simply a great and unique experience. If I didn't live in a warm/dry area that is just perfect for a cab (with likely similar weight-induced performance penalties) I'd surely consider a Targa very closely.

Old 09-15-2010, 05:02 PM
mmmatrix is infamous around these parts
Just measured it, the glass panel the drops down to the back is about 29" long and 40" wide.

Old 09-15-2010, 06:33 PM
PT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Verde
I often wonder why the Targa is not a bigger seller. Accepting that it adds a few hundred pounds of weight (up at the top of the car) thus turning off real performance zealots, most Porsche owners would likely never notice the speed and handling impact that the Targa presents.
In trade, a clear glass roof creating permanent outdoor visibility, a huge opening sunroof, and a rear hatch that radically increases the beauty and utility of the car.
Sitting in the Targa day or night is simply a great and unique experience. If I didn't live in a warm/dry area that is just perfect for a cab (with likely similar weight-induced performance penalties) I'd surely consider a Targa very closely.
It has been known to be fairly creeky according to some owners and that would drive some of us nuts I'm sure.

Old 09-16-2010, 09:44 AM
RyanJ is infamous around these parts
My targa top squeaks and creeks a little from time-to-time. ..but I only hear it if the car is stationary.

To those that haven't driven a new generation targa, the feeling of the open top is much more satisfying than a dinky little sun roof. It is much more cabin-quiet (wind noise) than a cabrio, and the diffuser buffets the wind extremely well. The roller-blind is a nice feature, too. The targa top makes it a much more sociable car with other people at stop lights. In summer, the only thing I need to worry about are the seagulls and keeping the glass clean. Cleaning the glass is now a weekly ritual.

I've driven with it opened it in the middle of winter with snow falling while on the highway. Turn on the seat warmers and crank up the heat. Pure joy. The snow flakes just get pushed right over the car even at 50 mph.

I could see the roof rails interfering with the peripheral vision of some finicky, taller drivers who drive cabs. The only thing that remotely bothers me is when I'm in reverse, and the panel is retracted as the rear window view isn't the greatest. The car does lean a little more than a standard "4" coupe in high speed/sharp turns....but only the serious auto-x or track rats would feel the performance difference.

Old 09-16-2010, 09:57 AM
RyanJ is infamous around these parts
I often wonder why the Targa is not a bigger seller..
....the targa top and AWD-only flavor add extra cost. It is more "utilitarian" and seems better positioned to customers in colder climates. Maybe for these are the main reasons a smaller slice of the customer base pie opts for the Targa???

I also suspect that if most customers are spending money beyond the C2... then they opt for the performance "S"-type options..or.. for the california-girl topless cabs.

Old 09-16-2010, 11:32 AM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
If the stats on the Porsche website are correct, the T4S and the C4S weigh the same, at 3131 pounds. So it doesn't appear that there is much added weight from the glass top. The Cab4S is the heaviest, at 3318 pounds.
I loved my T4S, but like you, I now have a cab to enjoy the ideal climate for a cab, here in So Cal.

Old 09-16-2010, 02:13 PM
LMM
LMM is infamous around these parts
I bought my Targa 4s used and all the windows (including the roof and hatch) were tinted. Seeing out the back with the roof retracted was next to impossible but if I also retracted the sunshade, it made it much easier to see out the back. Took me 5 months to figure that out. Doh! Love my Targa though!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Targa roof questions