997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

SPASM vs. PASM - daily driving

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 02:09 PM
gravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond repute
SPASM vs. PASM - daily driving

I opted *not* to get the PASM Sport Chassis (often referred to as SPASM) on my '11 order in favor of the basic PASM due to concerns over scraping on entry/exit of my driveway. On the S, the PASM sits the car 10 mm (~.40 inches) lower than normal, while PASM Sport Chassis lowers the car another 10 mm (~.80 inches).

My 997.1 S had PASM and the underspoiler (black plastic under the bumper cover) scraped on more than one occasion (I even scraped the bumper cover once, taking a nice patch of Speed Yellow paint with it). So given the infrequency of my track events and the concern over height, I opted not to get the SPASM.

Now I'm second guessing myself.

Ignoring the ride height issue, what is the ride quality of the SPASM in normal/non-sport mode compared to the standard PASM? I also know you can only order SPASM w/19" wheels - does that mean they are completely incompatible with 18" wheels for track use; or does that mean you need a particular configuration, like offset or size, to make it work?

[sorry for the duplicate Rennlist post]

Old 09-14-2010, 09:07 PM
h1sp has much to be proud ofh1sp has much to be proud ofh1sp has much to be proud ofh1sp has much to be proud ofh1sp has much to be proud ofh1sp has much to be proud ofh1sp has much to be proud ofh1sp has much to be proud ofh1sp has much to be proud ofh1sp has much to be proud of
Old 09-14-2010, 10:13 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
I have Sport PASM and love it...no issues at all and at the trak and auto cross it is a great compromise suspension. Plus the car just looks better since SPASM is a little lower. Porsche did a great job tuning this system for the street.

Old 09-14-2010, 11:48 PM
LPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to behold
PASM = Ease, PASM Sport > push'in

I have no track experience therefore I search for smooth surfaces JUST to switch the PASM to the sport setting. Haven't used the setting with passengers. Quote from Porsche: note that the vehicle must have 19" wheels. The following shows it comes with a bit of 'bigbrother' :

"On uneven roads, PASM immediately switches to a softer rating within the ‘Sport’ setup range, thereby improving contact between the wheels and the road. When the road surface improves, PASM automatically reverts to the original, harder rating."

Old 09-15-2010, 06:45 AM
JohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud of
i think that gravedgr is asking about those who ordered the sport version of the PASM suspension (as in MDRUMS post).
Not the regular pasm with the sport button pressed.
Is this correct?

Old 09-15-2010, 08:01 AM
LPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to behold
SPASM = - 20mm

I've got the lower setup on the c4s and the scrape skirt does hit the asphalt at my driveway exit. In the normal mode the car feels as comfortable as my old '07 w/o the PASM Sport setup. I'm uncertain I have had a chance to sense the limited slip engage as of yet; gotta keep trying !

Have to say that the Sport Buckets have been one of the surprises: their more comfortable then they seem at first glance. The bolsters really allow a firm seat (which helps wring out the SPASM) and though not suited for widebodies have sufficiently comfortably to travel over four hours without fatigue.

Old 09-15-2010, 08:07 AM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Sport PASM is different than regualr PASM and pushing the sport button. I have the lowered Sport PASM...it has different roll bars spring ect and sits a little lower.

Old 09-15-2010, 08:17 AM
gravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by h1sp
I read that and didn't want to hijack with my more specific question.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.