997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

GTS on order

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 05:22 PM
Jack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant future
Congrats! Sounds like a great deal, too!
X51 and PSE are nice items!

Old 09-16-2010, 05:51 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by utkinpol
i only observed how some folks at events struggle with those centerlocks to take them off and on. 1/2 wrench and pipe does not work - you need a special big torque wrench, special adapter not to scratch center nut and an another person to press wrench into center and catch that wheel when it comes off.

but i think if you do not intend to track car often and swap rims often - it does not matter.

plus an aftermarket rims set for centerlocks costs like $8K or so if I am not mistaken. also not an issue if you intend to use only one rims set. it is a beauty but it will cost you some effort to live with it probably.
Indeed! See THIS.

Old 09-16-2010, 05:58 PM
Jack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant future
The vast majority of P-car owners do not track their cars, and they also don't have spares, or 2nd set of wheels. I'm guessing that many with a 2nd set of wheels (non-track) have a dealer or someone else change them.
Seems like a good point that this could be an issue for some people, and a worthwhile heads-up, I agree.
But I think it's an extreme minority of folks that will be effected by this on the GTS.

Depending on the application, the cool factor of the centerlock can far outweigh the headaches.

MHO, of course

Old 09-16-2010, 06:13 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Jack667
The vast majority of P-car owners do not track their cars, and they also don't have spares, or 2nd set of wheels. I'm guessing that many with a 2nd set of wheels (non-track) have a dealer or someone else change them.
Seems like a good point that this could be an issue for some people, and a worthwhile heads-up, I agree.
But I think it's an extreme minority of folks that will be effected by this on the GTS.

Depending on the application, the cool factor of the centerlock can far outweigh the headaches.

MHO, of course
Unless one is far away from a dealer and need to change a tire. Centerlocks can be a nuisance.

Old 09-16-2010, 10:20 PM
stockid is infamous around these partsstockid is infamous around these parts
Old 09-16-2010, 11:18 PM
gravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by adias
Unless one is far away from a dealer and need to change a tire. Centerlocks can be a nuisance.
Quit trying to rain on my parade!

Old 09-16-2010, 11:30 PM
Originally Posted by gravedgr
Quit trying to rain on my parade!
Not my intention. Chances are an adapter to 5 lugs will be offered, for those who prefer it.

Old 09-17-2010, 08:57 AM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
One of my local dealers called me about the GTS. He said it's basically a GT3 with PDK. I told him I like the idea of the GTS being the last model of the 997 line and it seems like a great deal and all but the center lock wheels are a no go for me because of track use. I just can not see myself having the expense of buying a set of center lock track wheels. So I told him I'll wait for my dream car.....GT3 PDK and 5 lug wheels that I can change out in my own garage.

Other than that I might be all over a GTS. It's going to be a heck of a car and a very rare Porsche...probably a keeper if I did get one.

Old 09-17-2010, 09:10 AM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mdrums
One of my local dealers called me about the GTS. He said it's basically a GT3 with PDK. I told him I like the idea of the GTS being the last model of the 997 line and it seems like a great deal and all but the center lock wheels are a no go for me because of track use. I just can not see myself having the expense of buying a set of center lock track wheels. So I told him I'll wait for my dream car.....GT3 PDK and 5 lug wheels that I can change out in my own garage.

Other than that I might be all over a GTS. It's going to be a heck of a car and a very rare Porsche...probably a keeper if I did get one.

I don't think owners of GT3's would agree with your dealer

Old 09-17-2010, 09:15 AM
medici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud of
To the OP: What options did you order on your 911 GTS?
Congrats, btw!!

Old 09-17-2010, 09:32 AM
Mini George is a name known to allMini George is a name known to allMini George is a name known to allMini George is a name known to allMini George is a name known to allMini George is a name known to all
Congrats on the order! The wide body design is awesome!

Old 09-17-2010, 09:57 AM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by buckwheat986
I don't think owners of GT3's would agree with your dealer
Oh I totally agree...you know how salesmen are. I did not even get into the argument with him.

Old 09-17-2010, 10:19 AM
gravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond repute
Re: the GT3 comparison, it is most definitely NOT an underpriced GT3, but an upgraded Carrera 2S. Comparing the GT3 is silly - the only gap closed between the two cars is power.

Originally Posted by medici78
To the OP: What options did you order on your 911 GTS?
Congrats, btw!!
Thanks! I ordered mine with SPASM, heated seats for the wife, and XM radio. Just the absolute basics. I'll install the short shifter (from bumperplugs) after it arrives.

Old 09-17-2010, 11:30 AM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by gravedgr
Re: the GT3 comparison, it is most definitely NOT an underpriced GT3, but an upgraded Carrera 2S. Comparing the GT3 is silly - the only gap closed between the two cars is power.
Bingo...

All the best. Great buy.

Old 09-17-2010, 11:31 AM
Originally Posted by mdrums
Oh I totally agree...you know how salesmen are. I did not even get into the argument with him.
Smart.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GTS on order