997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Wheel dynamics... ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 04:14 PM
Mark Ducati is infamous around these partsMark Ducati is infamous around these parts
Wheel dynamics... ?

I didn't want to post any pictures with the watermark... but on http://www.wheeldynamics.com website, they've got some 808 series 19" rims in matte black that look pretty awesome.

The price is like $400 bucks a rim... they look just as snazzy as 360 Forged rims for about 1/4 of the price... are these things made in Taiwan? Anybody do business with them? Are they a good company, or one to steer clear of?

I'm thinking for $2500 bucks, I can get some new smokin' wheels with rubber?

If its not violating watermark photo policy... at least here's a link to the rims I was looking at: http://wheeldynamics.com/Templates/808-series.jpg
The above are the silver ones, but I was thinking of powder coated matte black to go on my black 997.2

And IF I do go with some new aftermarket rims... in another thread, someone pointed out that folks here sometimes look for stock 18" rims for track use... with decent rubber and unblemished rims, what would I be asking for in price to sell my OEM rims?

I'm new to this site, I hope I didn't violate any rules with the links to wheeldynamics....

Last edited by Mark Ducati; 09-16-2010 at 04:17 PM.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:23 PM
Mark Ducati is infamous around these partsMark Ducati is infamous around these parts
Then I've got a second option.... maybe have my local body/paint shop powdercoat my stock wheels in matte black and paint the calipers red while they're at it? This would probably be the cheaper option.... What I'm really after is black wheels...

Decisions, Decisions...

If I go this route, does Porsche make matte black lug bolts?

Old 09-16-2010, 04:29 PM
Gj325 has a spectacular aura aboutGj325 has a spectacular aura aboutGj325 has a spectacular aura about
You can always have powder coater paint them when you paint the wheels.

Old 09-16-2010, 05:33 PM
gravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond repute
The 808 is the same basic wheel as the Ruger Mesh 310. Both are knock offs of the P40 monoblok from HRE, and both run about $1500 (vs. $5000 for HRE). A number of people have the 310 (Doc GTO being one of the first), while the 808 is newer.

HRE is forged: lighter, stronger, "better"
Others are cast: heavier, not as strong (relates primarily to track use)

I was going to get one of the knock offs to try since they are cheaper than a full set of PS2's and not a big deal if I changed my mind later.

Old 09-16-2010, 05:47 PM
150shot is infamous around these parts
I think for the price you cant go wrong with these rims. IMO, Yes we all drive a high end Porsche but not all of us want to spend 5-6k on wheels.

Also, wheel dynamics is a reputable shop here in Socal. I've heard good things about them and wouldnt hesitate to go there.

Old 09-16-2010, 06:06 PM
Thanks fellas... with powder coated rims and lug bolts. How delicate is the paint? Don't most tire installers nowadays use a machine that doesn't touch the rim?

As for the lug bolts... would the paint chip off easily? I'm thinking these would have to be hand torqued, not with one of those air compressor wrenches?

Old 09-17-2010, 10:55 AM
Former Vendor
ModBargains II is a splendid one to beholdModBargains II is a splendid one to beholdModBargains II is a splendid one to beholdModBargains II is a splendid one to beholdModBargains II is a splendid one to beholdModBargains II is a splendid one to beholdModBargains II is a splendid one to beholdModBargains II is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Mark Ducati
Thanks fellas... with powder coated rims and lug bolts. How delicate is the paint? Don't most tire installers nowadays use a machine that doesn't touch the rim?

As for the lug bolts... would the paint chip off easily? I'm thinking these would have to be hand torqued, not with one of those air compressor wrenches?

The powder coat finish should be far more durable than just a standard painted finish.

I would always use a torque wrench anyways instead of an air gun.

Old 09-17-2010, 11:40 AM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
i've seen the rims u r talking about in person and they look great !

unless u r gonna be tracking it, they should serve u well.

Wheel Dynamics are good people.. deal with confidence.

IMO the matte black goes better with white/yellow/red.. with u r black car, i'd go with the brushed aluminum like Eli's (see pic)

to get an idea of the resale value of ur 18's, check out the for-sale section of this forum.

BOL

Attached Images  
Old 09-21-2010, 10:41 AM
Former Vendor
Wheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks guys for the feed-back, I didn't want to jump in until others hand the chance to put down some feed-back for you.

Thanks MB for jumping in this thread , I think as an experienced and professional wheel refinisher I can say I'd sway you from Powder Coating your wheels, read this Q&A I've put together for your understanding. http://www.fastforwardwheels.com/Process.html

Carlitos, your schedule is confirmed for Monday!

Let me know if there is anything I can do to assist, as a reminder we offer service, installation and repairs for all Porsche vehicles. WE SPECIALIZE IN PORSCHE and have a licensed, Porsche factory trained technician on staff to assist with all of your needs. Using the latest PIWIS software we can trouble shoot any issues you might have or handle any repair or installation you might need.

-Eli

Let me know if I can assist you with your needs on the wheels, we are the largest retailer for US PORSHCE Wheels in this specific line of wheels.....

Last edited by Wheel Dynamics; 09-21-2010 at 10:44 AM.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:05 AM
Eli,

I'll talk to you in spring... the above 10 mesh wheels in silver is what I'll probably go with...

THANK YOU for producing spectacular wheels at a reasonable cost that we can afford.

Old 09-21-2010, 12:09 PM
Former Vendor
Wheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Mark Ducati
Eli,

I'll talk to you in spring... the above 10 mesh wheels in silver is what I'll probably go with...

THANK YOU for producing spectacular wheels at a reasonable cost that we can afford.
I'm a Porsche owner myself and know what it is like. I have a CTTS & 996, we leave out the Porsche-tax if you would since there are plenty of those types of shops out there.

Thanks again for keeping us under consideration for your wheel & tires needs!

-Eli