997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

997 Audio - "SIM" card

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 12:21 PM
Mark Ducati is infamous around these partsMark Ducati is infamous around these parts
997 Audio - "SIM" card

How do you use the SIM slot for the phone? I read the manual... my mistake, I thought it was for mp3's.

So how do you use it for the phone? Do you have to take the SIM card out of your existing phone.... or do you just buy a new SIM card from say ATT so that its specific just for the car?

Last edited by Mark Ducati; 09-17-2010 at 01:59 PM.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:42 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
In most of the world, your cell provider will give/sell you a clone of the SIM card that is in your existing GSM cell phone. You plug that card into the slot, now your car is a clone of your hand-held cell phone. (you need to have purchased the option to enable the built-in car phone system of course).

In the US, many providers use CDMA still (Verizon for example), so there's no way to use the car's phone. Some providers (AT&T, T-Mobile, etc) have GMS phones w/ SIM cards, but they will not provide you a clone of the SIM. So you can either remove the SIM and plug it into the car.. or mail our SIM to a cloning service and get it and a clone back (which probably violates the terms of service of your US cell contract, but how will they know... but there is the risk that now some folks in China have your cell phone's identity).

Old 09-18-2010, 07:31 AM
johnstoy is infamous around these parts
Also keep in mind that all of the head units (except early 2005 production) have a SIM slot/holder but may not have the phone module. It was an expensive option that most do not have.

Old 09-18-2010, 09:33 AM
Mark Ducati is infamous around these partsMark Ducati is infamous around these parts
Just checked the dealer sticker.... I've got the Blue Tooth option for $695, but I don't know if that supports the SIM card slot or not.

Man, what a PITA to connect the Blue Tooth for the car to find my iPhone, I read the directions and it would not pair with my phone.... Finally, I had to pair it from my phone to the car via an invite.

BUT, That was hard too... I couldn't figure what was wrong so I reset my iPhone settings, as soon as I did that, the phone found the car.

Old 09-18-2010, 11:57 AM
TooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Mark Ducati
Just checked the dealer sticker.... I've got the Blue Tooth option for $695, but I don't know if that supports the SIM card slot or not.

Man, what a PITA to connect the Blue Tooth for the car to find my iPhone, I read the directions and it would not pair with my phone.... Finally, I had to pair it from my phone to the car via an invite.

BUT, That was hard too... I couldn't figure what was wrong so I reset my iPhone settings, as soon as I did that, the phone found the car.
Bluetooth option is separate from the phone option (for the SIM slot).

Old 09-19-2010, 09:18 PM
spudz5 is a jewel in the roughspudz5 is a jewel in the roughspudz5 is a jewel in the roughspudz5 is a jewel in the rough
i have the phone module/sim card on my car. easiest way is to just buy a prepaid sim card and use it when in the car. unfortunately the phone doesnt work very well as many people say they have a hard time hearing.

Old 09-20-2010, 02:05 PM
If you are using the bluetooth interface (there is an elaborate post on the various phone options in a thread on this board or the other major site) you do NOT use the SIM slot. The sim slot is only for the phone option that is not bluetooth based.

For the bluetooth phone connection, there are 2 options:
  • HFP (handsfree profile) the most generic, which uses the phone in your pocket as the phone and just uses the car as the microphone and speakers and the interface to dial and display the phonebook.
  • SAP (SIM access profile) that uses the SIM in your phone (it stays in your phone) but uses the bluetooth mode for accessing the phone's SIM without you putting the SIM into the car's slot. But you need a GSM phone with a SIM card to do that.

If your phone is not advertising itself's presence, then the car cannot detect the intial part of the handshaking sequence. There is some sort of 'broadcast my presence' mode for bluetooth that you usually turn off after you have paired for security reasons.. but it needs to be on for the car to see the phone. I'm guessing after you reset the iphone settings, that got turned on again.

Pairing is pretty straightforward in my experience (done it twice) - but it required using the interface on the phone and the PCM to do it. I think the phone asked to have a sequence punched in the PCM or the other way around.

Old 09-20-2010, 02:14 PM
Originally Posted by spudz5
i have the phone module/sim card on my car. easiest way is to just buy a prepaid sim card and use it when in the car. unfortunately the phone doesnt work very well as many people say they have a hard time hearing.
That may not be a problem with the phone, but one with the cell provider.
I've used my cell phone via bluetooth (verizon phone) and the other party can hear me just fine and I hear them just fine.

If you are in the US and using a SIM card you are using AT&T or T-Mobile networks I suspect... which can be spotty.

Old 09-20-2010, 03:06 PM
axhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud of
Do you mean the Option-666 in 997.1?

When I had my 997.1S with that option, I just went to AT&T (my cell phone provider) and added a family plan on top of my cell phone account.

That gave me a second SIM card (with different phone number than my cell phone, but I could call forward between them), so I could inserted it (and kept it) in my 997.1S SIM slot to use.

Not the most converience method even in the 997.1 era, but it worked. The built-in microphone and speakers of the car were excellent, though.

In the 997.2, of course, it now has the factory Boothtooth option, and that works pretty well with my iPhone under AT&T.

With best regards,

Old 11-05-2010, 05:45 AM
tanct is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Minok
If you are using the bluetooth interface (there is an elaborate post on the various phone options in a thread on this board or the other major site) you do NOT use the SIM slot. The sim slot is only for the phone option that is not bluetooth based.

For the bluetooth phone connection, there are 2 options:
  • HFP (handsfree profile) the most generic, which uses the phone in your pocket as the phone and just uses the car as the microphone and speakers and the interface to dial and display the phonebook.
  • SAP (SIM access profile) that uses the SIM in your phone (it stays in your phone) but uses the bluetooth mode for accessing the phone's SIM without you putting the SIM into the car's slot. But you need a GSM phone with a SIM card to do that.

If your phone is not advertising itself's presence, then the car cannot detect the intial part of the handshaking sequence. There is some sort of 'broadcast my presence' mode for bluetooth that you usually turn off after you have paired for security reasons.. but it needs to be on for the car to see the phone. I'm guessing after you reset the iphone settings, that got turned on again.

Pairing is pretty straightforward in my experience (done it twice) - but it required using the interface on the phone and the PCM to do it. I think the phone asked to have a sequence punched in the PCM or the other way around.
I have problem to pair Iphone 4 to PCM 3, following the interactive steps, the PCM 3 responded in the final step "registration successful" but on the Iphone 4, upon entering the passkey, it responded with "connection unsuccessful". Checking the list of device in PCM 3 shows no device registered. Help and advise appreciated

Old 11-05-2010, 08:16 PM
12GtR-BE is a splendid one to behold12GtR-BE is a splendid one to behold12GtR-BE is a splendid one to behold12GtR-BE is a splendid one to behold12GtR-BE is a splendid one to behold12GtR-BE is a splendid one to behold12GtR-BE is a splendid one to behold
How do you use the SIM slot for the phone? I read the manual... my mistake, I thought it was for mp3's.

So how do you use it for the phone? Do you have to take the SIM card out of your existing phone.... or do you just buy a new SIM card from say ATT so that its specific just for the car?
pop out the sim place , place sim / metal part face up , push in talk. i have 07, please show me how to programe garage opener? thanks

Old 11-05-2010, 11:27 PM
TooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by T07S997
pop out the sim place , place sim / metal part face up , push in talk. i have 07, please show me how to programe garage opener? thanks
Read the manual.

Old 11-05-2010, 11:47 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !

On the 997.2 with Bluetooth, pairing an iPhone is child's play - 30s or less. It works perfectly.

Old 11-06-2010, 12:42 AM
12GtR-BE is a splendid one to behold12GtR-BE is a splendid one to behold12GtR-BE is a splendid one to behold12GtR-BE is a splendid one to behold12GtR-BE is a splendid one to behold12GtR-BE is a splendid one to behold12GtR-BE is a splendid one to behold

yes , take sim out / slide in the porsche system, i use tmobile sim, dial and call , do you know to programe remote for garage openr?thanks