997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Navigation DVD update?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-24-2010 | 06:55 PM
|
wa2fast is a splendid one to beholdwa2fast is a splendid one to beholdwa2fast is a splendid one to beholdwa2fast is a splendid one to beholdwa2fast is a splendid one to beholdwa2fast is a splendid one to beholdwa2fast is a splendid one to behold
Navigation DVD update?

Does anyone know if the Navigation DVD update can be done by oneself without visiting the dealer to have them install it? I looked through the forums and saw some instructions, but they were from earlier this year and didn't seem to be available anymore. Does anyone have the instructions or know if they come with the updated disk? I have a 2009 Carerra S model with the Nav option in the PCM.
Any info would be appreciated...Thank you!

Old 09-24-2010 | 08:32 PM
TooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant future
You can buy the DVD map from Suncoast for $299.95, then have your PCM updated at your local dealer.
Labor is about 1-2 hrs, I think.

Last edited by TooSixy; 09-24-2010 at 08:35 PM.
Old 09-25-2010 | 05:22 AM
jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !
[quote=TooSixy;2987886]You can buy the DVD map from Suncoast for $299.95,

Old 09-25-2010 | 07:19 AM
jster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud of
As I understand the update, it is a requirement to have it done at the dealer. You cannot put the disk in the dvd drive and have it automatically update the HD/system. As previously mentioned you get about an hour of labor charge making the entire update as expensive as buying a new phone (at a fully loaded price even) with google nav. Since my dealer could not tell me what the update contained, I didn't do it. I want to do it, but I just don't know if the update would be of any value to me.

Old 09-25-2010 | 07:31 AM
JohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud of
Wow, that is more costly than buying a car-full of Garmins!!!

I suppose they figured out a way to prevent "sharing" of the data.

Kinda sad that porsche has to milk everything.........

Old 09-25-2010 | 11:07 AM
Vincent997S is infamous around these parts
Ho guys, be happy.

Porsche sells DVD in Europe more than 540 USD !!!
But i don't think it's necessary to go to the Porsche dealer.

V.

Last edited by Vincent997S; 09-25-2010 at 02:26 PM.
Old 09-25-2010 | 09:36 PM
Auto_Union is a jewel in the roughAuto_Union is a jewel in the roughAuto_Union is a jewel in the rough
Unless you live in a new developement or travel to an area where there are new developements it's not worth it. I have a 5-year-old Garmin unit that I have never updated and except for one intersection it's still completely accurate for the areas where I travel.

Old 09-26-2010 | 03:18 AM
brendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Vincent997S
Ho guys, be happy.

Porsche sells DVD in Europe more than 540 USD !!!
But i don't think it's necessary to go to the Porsche dealer.

V.
porsche is not to blame on this one - you can be pissed at navteq/nokia. they own all the data and license it

Old 09-26-2010 | 07:33 AM
jster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud of
Yes, the mapper (navteq or whomever) makes money off this but I don't consider $300 for a complete database of the U.S. every couple of years as getting ripped off compared to some of my other choices on this or other cars ("instrument dials in sand biege"...$860). My guess is that between the map people attempting to control ripping off their s/w and Porsche wanting to throw the dealers business we get to where we are. All of this is OK if I wanted to pay the price as it is still my choice. But since they cannot tell me what is in the update and now that I have a phone with voice, TBT instruction, and is more up to date than any nav disc s/w I have every had, I choose to go with my phone. In today's Washington Post this very question is asked and the recommendation is to essentially go with a phone that has google nav.