997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Braking technique on track?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 12:23 PM
RyanJ is infamous around these parts
I've had several instructors pound into me, "slow in fast out"...but then again, I learned to track on a 911 that had a history of killing people when they banged on the pedals at the wrong part of a turn. ( God forbid the future when the stability management and electronic braking systems start to fail on these cars. A whole generation of owners are driving these cars without any fear!!!)

In autocross and short courses, the accelerator can work for most as an on/off switch. The weight transfer is so good now, that you don't need to be too **** about feathering and trailing. But, breaking does requires a variable touch as every corner is different.

To max your lap time...I was told to always be on the gas or brake to get the most out of a lap time. Coasting and delayed shifts will feel smoother, but will cost you seconds.

Maybe it's time for Porsche to bring back the offset pedals.

Old 10-01-2010, 12:31 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by RyanJ
To max your lap time...I was told to always be on the gas or brake to get the most out of a lap time. Coasting and delayed shifts will feel smoother, but will cost you seconds.
I had a lot of issues with heel&toe until i just gave up, ordered rennline gas pedal with extensions and bolted it on.
gosh, it is SO easy now. entire problem simply went away.

to eliminate coasting most critical skill is to be able to properly assess your braking distance based on your approach speed. as simple as it sounds it has to be implanted somewhere in your brain on a subconscious level - where to start your braking depending of how fast do you approach.
instructors do not like to reduce that distance to what it is actually supposed to be and prefer you to 'coast'. one only way to learn that is to go with a ride in red group with yor instructor and see how he does it, if he is agressive enough it is easy enough to memorize for each corner.

Old 10-01-2010, 12:38 PM
RyanJ is infamous around these parts
Can you post a pic of your new pedal set up?

Originally Posted by utkinpol
I had a lot of issues with heel&toe until i just gave up, ordered rennline gas pedal with extensions and bolted it on.
gosh, it is SO easy now. entire problem simply went away.

to eliminate coasting most critical skill is to be able to properly assess your braking distance based on your approach speed. as simple as it sounds it has to be implanted somewhere in your brain on a subconscious level - where to start your braking depending of how fast do you approach.
instructors do not like to reduce that distance to what it is actually supposed to be and prefer you to 'coast'. one only way to learn that is to go with a ride in red group with yor instructor and see how he does it, if he is agressive enough it is easy enough to memorize for each corner.

Old 10-01-2010, 12:38 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by RyanJ
Can you post a pic of your new pedal set up?
it is a typical rennline. i did not do anything but gas.
ok, it will take a sec.
here it is. Like i said - very basic. $150 I think for gas pedal plus extender piece.

Attached Images  

Last edited by utkinpol; 10-01-2010 at 12:42 PM.
Old 10-01-2010, 01:00 PM
EJ-997 is infamous around these parts
Take a look at PCA driver's training.

http://www.porscheclub.com/pdf/Drive...SCRev1.doc.PDF

Old 10-01-2010, 01:11 PM
Originally Posted by EJ-997
Take a look at PCA driver's training.

http://www.porscheclub.com/pdf/Drive...SCRev1.doc.PDF
this one is a bit better.
http://redlinerennsport.com/DriversEdEd.html

but all that is essentially meaningless without a lot of practice which should put all that theoretical BS into subconsciousness level or even deeper so you drive your car with your spine cord and think about traffic around you with your brain.