997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Role reversal.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 01:26 AM
w00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond repute
Role reversal.

I have an interesting story to share. Ever since I bought my 997.2 last year, I've had a burning desire to own a air-cooled 911 with a classic look and driving characteristic. But just could not justify another 911 for several months. During this time I kept having sleepless nights thinking if I should pull the trigger or not on a 911. I looked at several classic 911's for sale on various websites. One of the reasons I wanted a second car was to use it as a DD to protect my 997.2 for years to come. Hence I also was close to buying a Mazda 3 hatchback. But after being addicted to the quality (both ride and build) of 911's I just could'nt see myself driving anything but a 911 even for the most mundane and treacherous duties (like going to the grocery store or parking it in the cinema parking lots). So finally I bought my '86 Carrera 3.2 earlier this year and justified it's purchase thinking that it would be the best of both worlds meaning I would get to be into my choice of vehicle for my DD duties ie a 911 but one that would invoke less jealousy/attention than my 997.2 amongst peers/general public. AT the same time, my 997.2 would be well shielded by the 3.2.

Fast forward 6 months: It is a full 360 degree change in plan of action now. The 3.2 is so pristine both in appearance and driving dynamics (with everything including paint, interior leather, functioning quartz clock, Blaupunkt stereo, engine and transmission all in original condition) that I have a hard time putting it through the rigors of DD. Hence the 997.2 has become the protector and is relegated to the duties of DD and the 3.2 is the protected. The 3.2 is now a garage queen that gets a customary 6 mile workout everyday on a nice twisty backroad. Enjoy some pictures.

Attached Images    

Last edited by w00tPORSCHE; 09-30-2010 at 11:58 AM.
Old 09-30-2010, 02:41 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I can relate to how precious the older Porsche can be and how driving it can be so enjoyable . What's amazing with this model line is that no matter how many decades pass and how much the car evolves there are still some hints of it's heritage in the newest cars .

There's also something to be said about a 30+ year old car kept in pristine condition which makes it even more unique . It shows that those who owned it before you took the time to savor each mile and made an effort to retain as much of it's newness as possible.
To me it represents that to someone the car was special.

Great pictures and story !!!!

Last edited by yrralis1; 09-30-2010 at 03:03 AM.
Old 09-30-2010, 03:28 AM
medpilot105 is infamous around these parts
That is a special car for sure. Absolutely beautiful.

Old 09-30-2010, 05:52 AM
erenyes is infamous around these parts
Great car, great color, terrific story....

Old 09-30-2010, 06:42 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Car looks awesome, I would love to have a classic 911 one day.

Old 09-30-2010, 07:19 AM
Tripleblack is infamous around these partsTripleblack is infamous around these parts
That last picture is especially well done. Congrats on a satisfying purchase.

Last edited by Tripleblack; 09-30-2010 at 07:19 AM. Reason: ADD
Old 09-30-2010, 09:44 AM
w00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond repute
Thank you for the nice comments. I've even treated my 3.2's paint with the same respect as my 997.2 and had it clear-bra'd by Metropolitan detail (awesome job by Benjamin as usual) with the intention of using it as a DD. I have some more pics to share.

Attached Images     

Last edited by w00tPORSCHE; 09-30-2010 at 11:56 AM.
Old 09-30-2010, 12:50 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
The 3.2 is a great 911!

Old 10-05-2010, 10:26 AM
amylynn is infamous around these parts
Perhaps, you should get a 3rd 911.

Old 10-05-2010, 10:50 AM
Amy, I'm curious to find out why you think I need a third 911....and which model are you thinking ?

Any more 911's ... I'm out of the house. My wife/kids have already had me sign a "no more 911's" contract .

Old 10-05-2010, 01:16 PM
Rodsky is just really niceRodsky is just really niceRodsky is just really niceRodsky is just really nice
Beautiful. I had a 86. Was my first one. Loved it. Probably one of the greatest sounding 911's. I was going to suggest the 997.2 as the DD and the 86 as the queen. But you already did that.

Old 10-05-2010, 01:53 PM
I was joking. My husband seems to have the same issues. Until recently, he had two sports cars (one new, and one vintage "project" mistress) plus a sedan. He hates driving either sports car too often. I think that was the reason he pursuaded me to buy a 3rd sports car for our family, last year. (I love my car...naturally I won't complain)...but it has been a bit excessive. Needless to say, my husband's and son's freinds love it.

Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE
Amy, I'm curious to find out why you think I need a third 911....and which model are you thinking ?

Any more 911's ... I'm out of the house. My wife/kids have already had me sign a "no more 911's" contract .

Old 10-05-2010, 10:59 PM
Originally Posted by amylynn
I was joking. My husband....had two sports cars (one new, and one vintage "project" mistress) plus a sedan. He hates driving either sports car too often.
Amy, I also thought you were joking but just wanted to be sure. Oh BTW, please tell your husband (as hard as it may be to justify daily driving a sports car) that he bought these cars to enjoy...even if it is a short commute to work. These cars are meant to be driven and who is he preserving these cars for ?

Old 10-06-2010, 09:36 AM
After I learned of his grand plans for the car barn "man cave"., we made a pact: As long as he doesn't question my rationale on hoarding shoes, I'll let him collect a few cars.

I'm not preserving my shoes for a 2nd hand shopper....but I'm certainly not wearing the same pair more than twice a week.

Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE
Amy, I also thought you were joking but just wanted to be sure. Oh BTW, please tell your husband (as hard as it may be to justify daily driving a sports car) that he bought these cars to enjoy...even if it is a short commute to work. These cars are meant to be driven and who is he preserving these cars for ?