997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Type of Garage Heater do you have?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 12:36 PM
h1sp has much to be proud ofh1sp has much to be proud ofh1sp has much to be proud ofh1sp has much to be proud ofh1sp has much to be proud ofh1sp has much to be proud ofh1sp has much to be proud ofh1sp has much to be proud ofh1sp has much to be proud ofh1sp has much to be proud of
Type of Garage Heater do you have?

This year, it looks like I have a few winter projects to tackle.

My mini Space heater has never done the job.

I have already sealed my garage doors limiting any gaps and reducing drafts.

1. In a normal 3 car garage, what do you use?

2. Does any know of a space heater with a temperature setting (I could set and leave alone)

"Thanks in advance"

Old 10-01-2010, 12:46 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
I do not think a heated garage is necessarily a good thing. The differential to the outside may cause more harm than good. This is especially true in the Midwest if a car comes in after running on salted roads. The higher temp will accelerate corrosion.

Old 10-01-2010, 12:46 PM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
I have two garage heaters: a 911 and a GX470 - in the summer, that can be a *****!

Old 10-01-2010, 12:48 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by stevepow
I have two garage heaters: a 911 and a GX470 - in the summer, that can be a *****!

i just wanted to say the same - just drive around and park 997 car in and garage will be hot in 10min.

Old 10-01-2010, 12:48 PM
RyanJ is infamous around these parts
I had a pair of Chromalox heaters installed. Works okay. I can feel my hands in February.

Old 10-01-2010, 12:50 PM
wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !
I've used a 220V contruction heat in my last two houses, my new house I am doing a gas furnace, the intial cost is higher, but the operating cost and longevity it what I am keeping in mind and this will be a long term house for us.

Keep in mind it's -40 from late December to Late Feb here

Old 10-01-2010, 12:56 PM
RyanJ is infamous around these parts
My heaters just brings the room temperature up a few degrees. On a a 10 degree winter day, my garage with heaters on gets up to about 30 max. They don't have quite the same thermo-nuclear power that car dealers have where the doors are constantly opening and closing.

The bigger issue most people have with garage heaters, is after they are installed, the humidity profile in the room is changed. Most homes' garages were never designed to be heated. If the room isn't insulated correctly or soffit vents aren't in the right places, or if you have a garage that doesn't have an apex/draft area, mold can form in different places or paint might peel on the outside of the house.

Originally Posted by adias
I do not think a heated garage is necessarily a good thing. The differential to the outside may cause more harm than good. This is especially true in the Midwest if a car comes in after running on salted roads. The higher temp will accelerate corrosion.

Old 10-01-2010, 01:43 PM
NC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant future
Since I spend a lot of time in the garage, I fixed mine up with motel-style HVAC unit. It's the same unit you see under the window in your local Days Inn, etc. Not only is it thermostatically controlled (the thermostat is on the unit), it provides good heat in the winter, and cooling in the summer. No longer do I have to sweat my ***** off when it's 100+ degrees in July, or freeze 'em off when it's 19 in January.

The unit cost me about $600. I had to have a 220 outlet installed, which cost me another hundred bucks. The cost to cut a hole in my wall and securely install the unit was another $150.

Like I said, I spend a lot of time out there, so the cost was worth every penny to me.

Old 10-01-2010, 01:59 PM
axhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud of
In a previous home remodeling project, my wife forced me to allow her relocated our washer & dryer from the laundry room to the garage, so she could turn the laundry room into one more walk-in closet. Somohow our contractor setup the dryer to air-out the hot air not to the outside but into the garage itself (I guess it is a large enough garage to do so...)

First I was not too happy about the idea, and then I realized whenever we did the laundry and used the dryer, it warmed up the garage very nicely (and those Bounce made the garage smelled good too.)

Now, whenever I will spend time in my garage, I volunteer to do the laundary

Regards,

Old 10-01-2010, 02:00 PM
TooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant future
I feel lucky I am in Florida

Old 10-01-2010, 02:49 PM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by NC 997
Since I spend a lot of time in the garage, I fixed mine up with motel-style HVAC unit. It's the same unit you see under the window in your local Days Inn, etc. Not only is it thermostatically controlled (the thermostat is on the unit), it provides good heat in the winter, and cooling in the summer. No longer do I have to sweat my ***** off when it's 100+ degrees in July, or freeze 'em off when it's 19 in January.

The unit cost me about $600. I had to have a 220 outlet installed, which cost me another hundred bucks. The cost to cut a hole in my wall and securely install the unit was another $150.

Like I said, I spend a lot of time out there, so the cost was worth every penny to me.
How big is your garage ? Have contemplated the same type of unit and curious if it would sufficiently heat and cool 1000 sq foot 3 car garage.

Old 10-01-2010, 03:16 PM
axhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Dadio
How big is your garage ? Have contemplated the same type of unit and curious if it would sufficiently heat and cool 1000 sq foot 3 car garage.
Your garage size will be alright. Also check with your contractor for details and codes.

Regards,

Old 10-01-2010, 03:19 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by wpgfordguy
I've used a 220V contruction heat in my last two houses, my new house I am doing a gas furnace, the intial cost is higher, but the operating cost and longevity it what I am keeping in mind and this will be a long term house for us.

Keep in mind it's -40 from late December to Late Feb here
I use a construction heater as well.....wired 220V....
I just use it to keep the chill out but it is able to heat the garage up nice and toasty when needed!

Stacy

Old 10-01-2010, 03:24 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
I have a 4 foot electric base board heater that has no problem heating a 2 car garage. I have it set for about 16C (64F). When the salt is on the roads, the Porsche stays in the garage.

Does it really get that cold in Texas?

Old 10-01-2010, 03:38 PM
ksbenz is a name known to allksbenz is a name known to allksbenz is a name known to allksbenz is a name known to allksbenz is a name known to allksbenz is a name known to all
I had central HVAC system installed when I built. Garage is fully insulated and have air vents in ceiling just like home. Full A/C in summer and heat if needed in winter.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Type of Garage Heater do you have?