997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

For M3 to C2s 997.2

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 12:24 PM
IloveSpeed has a spectacular aura aboutIloveSpeed has a spectacular aura aboutIloveSpeed has a spectacular aura about
I would die if I had to travel the Cali highways. Asphalt is 100 times quieter.

Old 10-07-2010, 03:29 PM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by IloveSpeed
I would die if I had to travel the Cali highways. Asphalt is 100 times quieter.

Yes, I did a several hundred mile trip to the coast and back a few weekends ago - the highway finishing varied quite a bit. On some stretches, I just muted the audio since it was basically useless and on other stretches it worked OK. Still, what a great drive - beautiful weather...and the 911. And that stretch from ATL to Savannah (I-16) is about the most boring trip you can take - had more fun in the 911 than I did the last time I drove it in an e36 M3 (which was a really cool car too - can't believe that used to be a "fast" car ).

My wife rode back with me on the return trip - she didn't hate it either.

Old 10-07-2010, 11:44 PM
recipefor is infamous around these parts
Stevepow -- When you say your wife didn't hate the trip back -- that implies she didn't enjoy it that much either. What do you think is difficult for her? The noise, ride quality or seat comfort?

Larry -- One last question for you: If you could only have one of the three cars to drive everyday, including a 100 mile trip every week, which would it be.

Thanks again for all the help.

Old 10-08-2010, 02:26 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by recipefor
Stevepow -- When you say your wife didn't hate the trip back -- that implies she didn't enjoy it that much either. What do you think is difficult for her? The noise, ride quality or seat comfort?

Larry -- One last question for you: If you could only have one of the three cars to drive everyday, including a 100 mile trip every week, which would it be.

Thanks again for all the help.
Tough question ---

I gave it a lot of thought. My vote goes to the Turbo pdk . The AWD and Hp along with all the luxury places this car in a class all of its own .
If cost is a factor then the C4S PDK would be the next choice. The M3 would be last.

I realize that the m3 is practical and that the 997 C4S costs less . I even changed my answer a few times as i thought about the practical aspects and I wrestled with the question.

But then I came to the realization that with only one choice --if it's not the most special ... then its settling for less . Why even get an M3 when one can buy an even cheaper car ? A more practical car? A more boring car ?

You did ask me what car i would pick (for me) -- and I thought of my cars .
I love my Turbo the most. It won.

Last edited by yrralis1; 10-08-2010 at 04:43 AM.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:14 AM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
Actually, I think she enjoyed the trip. The seats are super comfortable. If anything, I could see her getting tired of packing so conservatively if we did those sort of trips very often.

And on a bad road, I'd start hating the ride - like a stretch of I-85 I travel often that was under construction for a few years - 40 miles of bu-bump bu-bump bu-bump -I had to detour onto the back-roads to avoid it.

If your weekly 100 miles is on funky roads - that might become tiring. If it is on decent roads, you'll probably be looking forward to it every time.

Old 10-08-2010, 10:27 AM
TooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by stevepow
... The seats are super comfortable...
I concur. The seats are unusually comfortable, despite the harsher ride, firmer shocks, and lower tires. I recently made a 210-mile round trip and we loved the seats.

Old 10-08-2010, 11:30 AM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Ah come on...the Porsche is a LOT louder than the M3. The M3 is VERY insulated by comparison. Mostly simply road noise due to less insulation. That said, the 997 is completely tolerable and the Bose radio is decent. If you have a bit of a picky wife do NOT drive the cars back to back. The M3 is overwhelming calmer and quieter. I did not say it was better...
The standard sport seats are probably a better choice. The adaptive sport seats are more... purpose oriented, shall I say.
A turbo PDK doesn't compare to a C2S. They are not in the same league.
C2S in the snow? Why not. Like a front wheel drive car, most of the weight is over the driven wheels. With snow tires the Germans have driven 911's into the mountains forever. They are fine. An M3 in the snow is a total POS. 50/50 weight balance is horrible in the snow. Snow tires make it servicable, but even a 2WD Porsche will fare better.
My 997 is a DD. Comfortable and a joy to drive every day. Makes the start and end to every day that much more enjoyable. No need to wait for the weekend!

Old 10-08-2010, 02:46 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
the Porsche is a LOT louder than the M3.
M3 driving --the V8 does have noise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbSC5fkP2q4

This is a great write up on the Turbo S
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ed-driven.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCjsQ...layer_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bRC2...layer_embedded

Now tell me --If given the choice of only one car -which would you rather have ?

Last edited by yrralis1; 10-08-2010 at 02:57 PM.
Old 10-08-2010, 04:49 PM
w00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond repute
I use my C4S as a daily driver and for my weekly drives over some intense mountain passes even during the winter. I have dealt with quite a bit of snow/black ice and have a dedicated winter tire/wheel set up. The car sticks lto the road ike Mozarella cheese to a hot iron skillet. I think it is fairly comfortable (and my wife agrees with it too). But I can easily see how long (greater than two hour rides) can get tiring in a 911. I have adaptive sport seats which cocoon the driver/front passenger.The regular sports seats are more comfortable for some people especially those with a larger bodyframe. The ride is definitely going to be harsher especially with larger wheels and some may not like the visceral feel, the jerkiness etc.

yrralis1: "Porsche has qualities which make it an automotive icon. -- and until you own and drive a porsche daily you won't ever miss what you never had . But the day you do own a Porsche 911 you will never forget the car and how significant it's presence stirs the joy of driving"

Larry, I've always wanted a BMW growing up but never got one. I "graduated" directly to a Porsche (no offense to BMW when I say that please). That statement of yours is absolutely true and that's why I never will ever miss owning a BMW. That's the other reason why I even got an air-cooled classic 911. How right your are...as always.

Attached Images  
Old 10-08-2010, 08:32 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by yrralis1
M3 driving --the V8 does have noise.
Noise, yes, but that was OUTSIDE the car. Inside with the windows up, you hardly hear the motor. The 997 is just a more visceral car. Maybe it isn't for everybody, but they are very fun to drive and a very livable car on a day to day basis. The PASM suspension in normal is downright plush, that's why many have changed it. Makes it easy to drive the wife and kids without complaints though.

Old 10-08-2010, 09:24 PM
07speed is a jewel in the rough07speed is a jewel in the rough07speed is a jewel in the rough07speed is a jewel in the rough
Thanks again for the replies everyone, this helps much more than merely perusing Porsche's 911 booklet a nth time.

07speed -- Thank you. Being an everyday car for you, if you had to do it over again would you have gone with a C4 or different seats?
Definitely not a C4. Although i like the wide body , I take it to the track and prefer the rear drive. Plus, like someone else mentioned,it doesn't matter 4 wheel drive in the snow..it is ALL ABOUT THE TIRES!!

FYI..next daily driver probably won't be a 911.

Old 10-08-2010, 10:06 PM
Larry, I've always wanted a BMW growing up but never got one. I "graduated" directly to a Porsche (no offense to BMW when I say that please). That statement of yours is absolutely true and that's why I never will ever miss owning a BMW. That's the other reason why I even got an air-cooled classic 911. How right your are...as always.
The older BMW's were amazing in their time . Before the "Bangled" cars and short term attention deficit style lease programs BMW built some legendary sedans . Porsche didn't have the Panamera or Cayenne back then and BMW didn't have run flat tires or i drive. Those werre the days !!!

In fact BMW still builds some fantastic engines and then they stuff it into a odd shaped bloated vehicle with a price tag which leads me to gulp . The M3 is actually one of the better BMW's of this time . For the price --it's actually a bargain . In fact with 32K miles on my car I have yet to face any service issue other than oil changes (free) and one set of tires (at 30K miles). It is extremely reliable but it's just not a Porsche.

Old 10-09-2010, 09:33 AM
Originally Posted by yrralis1
The older BMW's were amazing in their time . Before the "Bangled" cars and short term attention deficit style lease programs BMW built some legendary sedans . Porsche didn't have the Panamera or Cayenne back then and BMW didn't have run flat tires or i drive. Those werre the days !!!

In fact BMW still builds some fantastic engines and then they stuff it into a odd shaped bloated vehicle with a price tag which leads me to gulp . The M3 is actually one of the better BMW's of this time . For the price --it's actually a bargain . In fact with 32K miles on my car I have yet to face any service issue other than oil changes (free) and one set of tires (at 30K miles). It is extremely reliable but it's just not a Porsche.
That says it all - damn shame too - I had some really great BMWs in the past. The current M3, as said, is probably their last hurrah for a "driving machine". Their other cars are nice, but just cars more or less.

Glad I did not graduate early - I loved winding up those in-line 6s - such a cool sound.

Old 10-09-2010, 11:30 AM
w00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond repute
Long live E39, one of the best
Looking/perfoming sedans ever. Too bad these bloated modern bimmers are not the same.

Old 10-09-2010, 08:03 PM
like7272 is infamous around these parts
I like E30 M3 the best.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: For M3 to C2s 997.2