997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

cab with a ski rack?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 09:50 AM
amylynn is infamous around these parts
cab with a ski rack?

Planning a winter vacation (is it that time of year, already???)....

This might be super silly....but does anyone know if there is a workable ski /snow or roof rack option for a 997 cabriolet?

I've seen a few things on google, but very little info on customer feedback.

Old 10-06-2010, 01:32 PM
jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !
try this.....LOL

Attached Images  
Old 10-06-2010, 02:09 PM
mshanler has a spectacular aura aboutmshanler has a spectacular aura aboutmshanler has a spectacular aura about
The new parabolics are pretty short. Perhaps they fit diagonally in the back seat???

If not, get some side rails and buy one of these....

Old 10-06-2010, 02:15 PM
mshanler has a spectacular aura aboutmshanler has a spectacular aura aboutmshanler has a spectacular aura about
Someone last week mentioned they put the 996 hard top on the 997 cab with only 1 minor modification to the mounting hardware. Seems costly... just have your ski's shipped...

I'd like to see someone put this on the rear spoiler deck and see what happens over 70. Will the car take off?

Old 10-06-2010, 02:20 PM
axhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud of
If you are a serious & a frequent skier, install a tow hitch on your car (for a hitch-mount ski rack.) If you are not that serious, it'd be easier to just get a rental car for the few times of the year you hit the slopes.

Regards,

Old 10-06-2010, 02:42 PM
I think this guy used a willywood hitch. If you do it, pls post a pic.

http://www.willwoodsystem.com/

Old 10-06-2010, 03:26 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Acquiring and mounting a hardtop is not a solution, as there are no provisions for racks on the cab hardtops.

I believe the only option for carrying items on a cab is the trailer hitch with an appropriate carrying device attached to it. I think I would prefer to rent skis if I were wanting to drive my Cab to the slopes.

Good luck.

Old 10-06-2010, 03:42 PM
jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !
Ken,

Was something wrong with my suggestion???????

Jim

Old 10-06-2010, 04:20 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jjc4scab
Ken,

Was something wrong with my suggestion???????

Jim
I guess as long as you can leave the roof down, it would work. But don't quit your day job LOL.

BTW, I love that TT cab with the Terracotta/black interior (my favorite).

Old 10-06-2010, 06:44 PM
KK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud of
I defend roof racks on this site every time it gets brought up. However I cannot think of a realistic, viable option short of zip-ties, duct tape, and a knife. Agree: Ship Them.....

Old 10-07-2010, 02:26 PM
amylynn is infamous around these parts
Last night, I tried fitting our skiis (they are parabolics) into the back a few different ways, but they are just a little too long and the bindings too bulky to get them inside without opening a window. This was the case, even with the passenger seat pulled all the way up and the skiis in diagonally.

I'm intrigued about the trailer hitch/ski rack idea.....it looks like it goes in behind the license plate. If someone else has done a hitch with a ski rack....I'd love to see the complete picture. I will shamelessly immitate.

Has anyone looked at these? - Inno Magnetic ski rack (would two of these fasten very well on the rounded hump of the Porsche's rear.) We also discussed the ProLine Barrecrafter side-window mounted options...but we think the Carrera's window might be too flimsy and small for that to be safe......and plus, every time the door opens on our cab-, the window drops down a bit.

Help is appreciated.