997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Hated on, yet again :(

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 04:13 PM
renesis is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Weasel
I've seen it, Sleepy996 -- good movie, I agree -- can't say I remember that quote or that I'm any less perturbed by your selection of it -- to each his own, I suppose. Thanks for responding.
what offends you about that? the whiteboy thing or the slangin crack reference? or are you a broker? just wondering, not trying to get you fired up. i thought the quote from the movie was comical. everyone takes things differently i guess.

Old 10-12-2010, 04:17 PM
EvoX to 997 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by renesis
what offends you about that? the whiteboy thing or the slangin crack reference? or are you a broker? just wondering, not trying to get you fired up. i thought the quote from the movie was comical. everyone takes things differently i guess.
haha, not sure how that guy is taking this line but take into consideration the movie where it came from. they were selling BS stocks to people who were hurt by what they bought... like slangin rocks, but for the suburbs.

Old 10-12-2010, 04:27 PM
renesis is infamous around these parts
thats what i was thinkin. just a reference.

Old 10-12-2010, 07:40 PM
Sven has a spectacular aura aboutSven has a spectacular aura about
OP: MUVI makes an inexpensive ($65 on Amazon) micro video recorder that can capture a couple hours on a mini SD card. Although a hassle, you could tape a pair of them together and, when parking someplace iffy, dangle it from the rear view mirror and activate the recorders. Better, of course, if someone would come up with a hardwired solution with 360 degree coverage.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:39 PM
Hella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Sven
OP: MUVI makes an inexpensive ($65 on Amazon) micro video recorder that can capture a couple hours on a mini SD card. Although a hassle, you could tape a pair of them together and, when parking someplace iffy, dangle it from the rear view mirror and activate the recorders. Better, of course, if someone would come up with a hardwired solution with 360 degree coverage.
Id' be willing to bet that that would only prompt some lowlife to smash the window to steal them.

Old 10-13-2010, 11:37 AM
WaKAo.Diao is infamous around these parts
sucks... gotta be careful in this economy now.

Old 10-13-2010, 05:49 PM
Weasel is just really niceWeasel is just really niceWeasel is just really niceWeasel is just really niceWeasel is just really nice
Originally Posted by renesis
I find both offensive, Renesis -- "the whiteboy thing" and the "slingin crack rock reference". And "no" -- I'm not a broker -- rather, a lawyer -- the next worst lot in life some might say -- and I'm trying hard not to get "fired up" as I enjoy this site and get great benefit from the info, tips, GBs and comraderie shared here. Over the years, I have come to recognize and appreciate that those who post here come from all walks of life and are entitled to express their opinions and thoughts in whatever way, fashion or form they wish. I certainly don't want to discourage that -- it's one of the things I like most. That said, I think we can all agree that certain opinions and thoughts may be inappropirate on this site and not welcomed by all here. While I don't know our demographics, I'd be willing to bet that a significant number of our fold are persons of color. The quote -- "So in the whiteboy way of slingin crack rock, I became a broker..." -- is offensive. To me, the quote implies that white men sell stock and men of color sell crack rock. Maybe in the context of the movie it adds something by shedding light on the "character" of the character -- indeed, I'm sure it does -- but taken out of that context, I just don't think it has a place here. I'll give Sleepy the benfit of doubt and trust that he did not intend to offend. I thought maybe the quote has some special meaning to him, or somehow his use of it was intended to say something about him that's benign and innocuous -- however, from my initial reading of it, I suspected otherwise -- that's why I asked about it. He didn't explain, so I can only hope.... I'm not trying to bring sensitivity training to 6speed by any means, but rather than conclude the worst from Sleepy's quote selection, I thought I'd inquire. Looking back, maybe I should have inquired of it in a PM.

Hope by posting this I haven't hijacked this thread....not my intention at all.

Old 10-14-2010, 01:08 AM
akim47 is infamous around these partsakim47 is infamous around these parts
my wife's a lawyer... and I work with many lawyers... so I'll say this...

It's just like a lawyer to create something out of nothing... really? offended at what?

The line is from a movie. The movie was an over-dramatized version of wall street... and it's a f'in classic... how can you forget that opening line... however, nothing is better than ben affleck's monologue...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8JkSEvyFhM

"People who say money is the root of all evil, don't have none..." is some poor soul going to be offended by that comment? Oh well... all I can say is $3 rips... and RECO!!!

I'm not a broker, but work in investment management. The movie is nothing like real life, but is entertaining nonetheless...

Back to the OP... it sucks what happened. I'm a paranoid freakazoid as to where I take and park my car. We go to Hacienda (or that area) all the time (Los Angeles county for those who don't know). It's kinda weird there... you have rich Chinese (or other Asian) rollin sweet rides (occasioanal Lambos) and you have the ghetto crowd... that pretty much extends from there all the way to eastside... nothing you can do...

Old 10-14-2010, 07:19 AM
Sleepy996 is a jewel in the roughSleepy996 is a jewel in the roughSleepy996 is a jewel in the roughSleepy996 is a jewel in the rough
Weasel I trade commodities. I like the movie and found the quote to fit me perfectly. If you find it offensive and will keep you from posting on 6speed I will remove it since that was never my intentions.

Old 10-14-2010, 07:36 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
I find both offensive, Renesis -- "the whiteboy thing" and the "slingin crack rock reference". And "no" -- I'm not a broker -- rather, a lawyer -- the next worst lot in life some might say -- and I'm trying hard not to get "fired up" as I enjoy this site and get great benefit from the info, tips, GBs and comraderie shared here. Over the years, I have come to recognize and appreciate that those who post here come from all walks of life and are entitled to express their opinions and thoughts in whatever way, fashion or form they wish. I certainly don't want to discourage that -- it's one of the things I like most. That said, I think we can all agree that certain opinions and thoughts may be inappropirate on this site and not welcomed by all here. While I don't know our demographics, I'd be willing to bet that a significant number of our fold are persons of color. The quote -- "So in the whiteboy way of slingin crack rock, I became a broker..." -- is offensive. To me, the quote implies that white men sell stock and men of color sell crack rock. Maybe in the context of the movie it adds something by shedding light on the "character" of the character -- indeed, I'm sure it does -- but taken out of that context, I just don't think it has a place here. I'll give Sleepy the benfit of doubt and trust that he did not intend to offend. I thought maybe the quote has some special meaning to him, or somehow his use of it was intended to say something about him that's benign and innocuous -- however, from my initial reading of it, I suspected otherwise -- that's why I asked about it. He didn't explain, so I can only hope.... I'm not trying to bring sensitivity training to 6speed by any means, but rather than conclude the worst from Sleepy's quote selection, I thought I'd inquire. Looking back, maybe I should have inquired of it in a PM.

You're a lawyer. That offends me.

Old 10-14-2010, 08:33 AM
20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by akim47
my wife's a lawyer... and I work with many lawyers... so I'll say this...

It's just like a lawyer to create something out of nothing... really? offended at what?

The line is from a movie. The movie was an over-dramatized version of wall street... and it's a f'in classic... how can you forget that opening line... however, nothing is better than ben affleck's monologue...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8JkSEvyFhM

"People who say money is the root of all evil, don't have none..." is some poor soul going to be offended by that comment? Oh well... all I can say is $3 rips... and RECO!!!

I'm not a broker, but work in investment management. The movie is nothing like real life, but is entertaining nonetheless...

Back to the OP... it sucks what happened. I'm a paranoid freakazoid as to where I take and park my car. We go to Hacienda (or that area) all the time (Los Angeles county for those who don't know). It's kinda weird there... you have rich Chinese (or other Asian) rollin sweet rides (occasioanal Lambos) and you have the ghetto crowd... that pretty much extends from there all the way to eastside... nothing you can do...
AKIM,

That is exactly how it is, thats why i wasn't worried about parking my little porsche whereever I want when there are F430's/LP640's cruising the surrounding areas.

Whatever, I've learned my lesson, its either OC or nice areas of LA. Otherwise F it, its not worth my risk if its at night.

Old 10-14-2010, 08:40 AM
ericyingling is infamous around these parts
Weasel-

Hijacked thread, check.
Should have been handled entirely through PM, check.

Old 10-14-2010, 09:47 AM
20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future
Red face

Weasel,

No worries for highjacking the thread, I don't think Sleepy meant any harm, just my speculation. At any rate, this is more higher level and don't mind being highjacked for good reason or Higher Learning (like the movie) should we say?

Old 10-14-2010, 04:51 PM
Gpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud of
Reality check: a lawyer who calls himself weasel? I find that offensive. No, funny. Or maybe ironic. What was this post about?

Old 10-14-2010, 06:44 PM
jakesdad is a jewel in the roughjakesdad is a jewel in the roughjakesdad is a jewel in the rough
I wasn't offended... and I'm a person of color... I'm white...

talk about mountains and molehills...

WAD

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Hated on, yet again :(