997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

LED DRL's

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 12:17 AM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
money better spent on suspension / alignment or go fast mods

Old 10-11-2010, 07:57 AM
endo911 is infamous around these parts
Talking

Originally Posted by gmoney
money better spent on suspension / alignment or go fast mods
I agree, but cosmetic changes that are tasteful in the eye of the owner (and should always have buddy approval ) can be worth blowing a "little" dough. I just can't justify 1K for $15 in parts. The SpeedArts do look very nice though.

Old 10-11-2010, 08:57 AM
PHOENIX RISING is infamous around these parts
I agree that $1500 is steep . . . and the toughest part to reconcile in my mind is why the exorbitant cost?? I'm sure they would sell more than 2 for 1 if they lowered the price to $750.

Has anyone found out anything more about the EPP LEDs?

Old 10-11-2010, 10:23 AM
Originally Posted by PHOENIX RISING
I agree that $1500 is steep . . . and the toughest part to reconcile in my mind is why the exorbitant cost?? I'm sure they would sell more than 2 for 1 if they lowered the price to $750.

Has anyone found out anything more about the EPP LEDs?
I am pursing trying to DIY this myself for the time being. Looks like its about $50 in parts if using my existing housing. The only thing I'm having trouble sourcing is the wiring harness that will allow the LED's to turn off when the turn signal is active. But for $750.....I would buy them and not think twice about the DIY.

Old 10-11-2010, 11:04 AM
PHOENIX RISING is infamous around these parts
^EXACTLY. You and I would both buy them for $750. That is more than 2 for 1 since neither of us are buying them now. And at $750 there is still a ton of profit in it for them.

I just don't understand the marketing.

Old 10-11-2010, 11:23 AM
Originally Posted by PHOENIX RISING
^EXACTLY. You and I would both buy them for $750. That is more than 2 for 1 since neither of us are buying them now. And at $750 there is still a ton of profit in it for them.

I just don't understand the marketing.
It must be the "newness" of all the LED lights. In a year they will be selling them for $750 or less. Why not now when the market is "hot" for them? It would be nice for someone to set up a group buy.

Old 02-01-2011, 03:23 PM
Site Sponsor
GMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond repute
Hey guys, aircooled0801 had sent me this link before so that I could chime in and I apologize for the delay on just now getting back to you guys.

There is certainly a premium on the knowledge of being the first to do it. Ultimately, tuners are enthusiasts that have established themselves as a business. The Tuners aka businesses factor in the cost of the vehicle, plus the brains on payroll to develop the products. In addition, the German tuners have to abide by TUV standards and having products certified is an expense all in itself. Then you can go into distribution discussions, marketing, etc, etc.

So, they put a premium on it when its unveiled for those that want it first, without hassle and then as the market softens, so does the price (as with the cars themselves for the most part). speedART, and similar established tuners, typically present their ideas and then its copied. Once people have seen the product up close, they study it and can figure out ways to "copy" it for themselves. Its just reverse engineering and its no secret practice and its done in many aspects of the automotive industries, by big companies and enthusiasts alike.

Now that the lights have been on the market for some time, there have been a number of attempts at the DIY version. As pointed out, all said and done, its a simple concept and has a great effect when completed properly. The speedART versions are OEM Porsche lights purchased from their local Porsche dealership. Theirs happens to be in Stuttgart right next to the factory They do all the conversion and send you a finished product, with the wiring completed, ready to be installed with minimal effort.

That being said, I have sets on the shelf for anyone interested that hasn't tackled this yet on their own. They are on our site or I can PM you some special pricing if interested.

Direct link to the lights

Stephen

Old 02-03-2011, 02:44 PM
997swave is a splendid one to behold997swave is a splendid one to behold997swave is a splendid one to behold997swave is a splendid one to behold997swave is a splendid one to behold997swave is a splendid one to behold
Looks like an expensive upgraded

Old 10-13-2011, 08:22 PM
boochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond repute
It's been a year and per the link GMP provided the lights are now $2580....

Originally Posted by endo911
It must be the "newness" of all the LED lights. In a year they will be selling them for $750 or less. Why not now when the market is "hot" for them? It would be nice for someone to set up a group buy.

Old 10-14-2011, 03:12 PM
Site Sponsor
GMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by boochook
It's been a year and per the link GMP provided the lights are now $2580....
Yeah, those just went up about 30 days ago. Trust me, we were not happy about the price increase but it was explained to us that the process is so time-consuming that they had to increase the cost to make them worth doing at all.

Old 10-14-2011, 05:37 PM
ksdprasad is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ROADRAGE
too much $ for DRL's...don't really see what the big deal is...just sayin...
same feeling here, + 1

Old 10-15-2011, 05:36 PM
scrappyca is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ksdprasad
same feeling here, + 1
Make it another, +1

I simply cannot understand how that is justified (not that prices for anything ever are)....but that is bordering on ludicrous.

Old 10-16-2011, 10:58 AM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
You guys really haven't seen the Rotec solution?

Old 10-16-2011, 01:55 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Personally, I'm already finding myself tiring of the LED look. I loved it when it first came out, especially the Audi designs. But it seem like so many cars have them now, they are no longer unique, and in some cases almost appear over-done. I love my LED tail lights, both for their look in the dark as well as how they look in daylight. But I'm finding I'm in no hurry to replace the front parking/fog lights.