997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

2009 Carerra 3.6L... how much more power can I get out of this?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 12:32 PM
sigfla is infamous around these parts
Was that a 997.1 or .2 3.6L? You guys were supposed to dig up a dyno for me a while ago for a 997.2 3.6L NA car with bolt on mods. I forgot to follow up with you. I would be very curious to see what a custom GIAC tune will do afterwards.

Would really like to see the dyno pulls and then a drag strip run slip but then again I think everyone would love to see that after any bolt on mods. Would be great if a dyno was at your track day. I will be there getting spacers from you hopefully if all works out.

Old 10-11-2010, 12:35 PM
sigfla is infamous around these parts
What do you think a bone stock 997.2 3.6L would put down? Assuming 345hp at the crank stock, is 300 unreasonable at the wheel? or is that too much driveline loss?

At 329 what do you think your crank HP was in comparison to stock?

Old 10-11-2010, 12:45 PM
Former Vendor
Sales@Champion is a splendid one to beholdSales@Champion is a splendid one to beholdSales@Champion is a splendid one to beholdSales@Champion is a splendid one to beholdSales@Champion is a splendid one to beholdSales@Champion is a splendid one to beholdSales@Champion is a splendid one to behold
We are going to do some dyno testing later on in the week or early next week. I will keep you posted.

Old 10-11-2010, 12:57 PM
v35
v35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Casey@TPCRacing
A new Cayman S/Boxster Spyder puts down 300whp on our dyno jet so a 3.6 would be more than 300.
At 320 crank, that's only a 6% drivetrain loss. That's a pretty low loss compared to the standard ~15% drivetrain loss.

Old 10-11-2010, 02:17 PM
gravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Sales@Champion
My personal car put down 329 WHP with bolt-ons. We are going to get the car back on the dyno and have GIAC help us with a custom tune.
What's your personal car? My stock 997.1 S put down 319 WHP.

Old 10-11-2010, 02:22 PM
Former Vendor
Sales@Champion is a splendid one to beholdSales@Champion is a splendid one to beholdSales@Champion is a splendid one to beholdSales@Champion is a splendid one to beholdSales@Champion is a splendid one to beholdSales@Champion is a splendid one to beholdSales@Champion is a splendid one to behold
997.2 non s

Old 10-11-2010, 03:15 PM
nyseal has a spectacular aura aboutnyseal has a spectacular aura aboutnyseal has a spectacular aura about
supercharge it.......about 10k plus install........u will love it!

Old 10-26-2010, 06:32 PM
gravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond repute
Mark, I saw this info below today and thought of you (and other folks looking for "bolt on" power).

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...62-post20.html

Originally Posted by robbonds
i did before and after dyno and then i dynoed again 2 weeks later
pse + giac + suncoast headers + evo intake

I GOT ZERO GAINS...If i can find the old sheets i will post them

Old 10-26-2010, 06:37 PM
ttpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond repute
prolly sounds faster tho!!

Old 10-27-2010, 07:32 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Mark Ducati
Last question.... with these mods, do you think it would help the resale of my car later? Or is this like a swimming pool in your back yard, only helps the home sale if the buyer is specifically looking for a pool?
mods will not help resale, especially if you do a lot of exterior alterations.

do not be so concerned about power aspect in the beginning. sign on with your local pca to do several DE sessions, do some auto-x, learn to use available powerband on your car and you will see that power wise you are all set really.

i would personally do not do any drastic mods like FI supercharger, etc - replace cats to 200 cell ones, do softronic ECU tune if you like but other than that (means easy reversable mods) - keep car`s engine bay intact.

if you will feel need for more power - consider GT3 car. but as you just got your car - give it some time, learn to drive it and then decide what is going to be next. you will see that in 4K-6K rpm area your car has tons of power. just learn how to use efficiently what you already have before starting improving it.

Old 10-27-2010, 07:47 AM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Mark, I did not get to read through all the pages of this post but please understand that any so called mods you put on your car will not gain you any resale value. As a matter of fact most all of them will hurt reseale value.

The best performance mod you can get is to mod the driver by going to either PSDS and then following up with DE's with your local track clubs.

You would have to spend a fortuane to make your car faster. You will not win many drag races in a 3.6 against cars like modern day Vette's and so forth but with some driver mods and small suspension mods you can keep up with them or out run them on the track with a Carrera.

If you are just looking for a street car to run stop light to stop light you need something like a Vette. They are cheaper to mod and easier to make go faster.

Originally Posted by Mark Ducati
Here's where I'm at...

2009 Carrera 3.6L, I'd really like a Turbo S one day, but that's probably going to be a 5 year plan for me.... so in the meantime here are some mods I've got going on right now:

Fab Speed primary bypass pipe
19" Wheel Dynamics 808 wheels

-----------------------

I know I can dyno/retune the car for about $1500 bucks...
Headers... what would I expect to pay for a set? $1000-1500?
FabSpeed secondary bypass pipes $495
GT3 Aero wing $2500

-----------------------

I'm down with spending another $6500-7000 for my Carrera... I think a little extra power and style will go a long way with what I'm looking for...

Is there anything else you might recommend? BMC filters (I didn't include those as that's about the least expensive thing to do on my "to do list".

Last question.... with these mods, do you think it would help the resale of my car later? Or is this like a swimming pool in your back yard, only helps the home sale if the buyer is specifically looking for a pool?

Old 10-27-2010, 08:36 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by mdrums
You would have to spend a fortuane to make your car faster.
not a fortune. I would say moderately - about of $20K should be enough for a stock street car - that is for suspension rebuilt mostly, then improved exhaust, ecu tune, roll bar, etc.

but the problem here is with a definition of 'faster', specifically of what people understand that 'faster' is.

Old 10-27-2011, 05:21 PM
Djork is infamous around these partsDjork is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Sales@Champion
997.2 non s
Can you list what your mods are?

Thanks

Old 10-28-2011, 03:03 PM
FlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of light
Weight reduction is a good thing.

I heavily modified a 1997 993 and when it came to resale I had to wait for someone that wanted, or could live with, the mods I had made. Granted this was in the "hay day" of the 993, but by far it was the modifications that added the delay in selling the car.

Old 10-28-2011, 03:32 PM
GTRR is just really niceGTRR is just really niceGTRR is just really niceGTRR is just really niceGTRR is just really nice
I am in the exact same position. I am currently pricing exhaust and tune....up to $3K to do it right. It doesn't seem worth it for 20 HP. I agree with the guys....$13K for the TPC Turbo and 150 HP sounds better everyday. I am still trying to decide whether I keep this C2 to track rather than selling it to get the 991 turbo. I am still on the fence. If this C2 is only worth $25K in 5 years, I might as well keep it and track the heck out of it! I will make that decision by year end.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2009 Carerra 3.6L... how much more power can I get out of this?