997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

2009 Carerra 3.6L... how much more power can I get out of this?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 03:45 PM
NC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant future
I'll be interested to see what you come up with.

Last edited by NC 997; 10-28-2011 at 03:56 PM.
Old 10-28-2011, 03:47 PM
kouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant future
Person ally on my 997.2 3.6 I did two things. Bmc filters and AWE secondary muffler delete. IMO it will be quite expensive to get more power from this engine.

As others said just drive the car at DE events and autocross. It's lots of fun and you will be surprised how competitive this car is...

I came from a 600awhp +++ EVO IX with lots of drag racing action which is primarily a game of power. It's never enough, there is always someone faster than you, not necessarily a better driver, and it's a big money pit!

Just drive it and enjoy it the way it is. Save your money to get something better and more powerful down the road. At least that's what I am doing...

Old 10-28-2011, 05:07 PM
Onetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant future
Before you spend money, I think you have to recognize what kind of person you are. Will you be satisfied with the power that a flash/exhaust/filter will create on your current car or are you like some of us and will always have a need for more power? Will you still be satisfied with a SC when a modded turbo blows by you?

Since you mentioned you might buy a turbo in the future, that may be the way to go. With a turbo, the only limitation on horsepower will be your wallet.

Last edited by Onetime; 10-28-2011 at 05:09 PM. Reason: typos
Old 10-28-2011, 11:57 PM
Rodolfo is infamous around these parts
Here is my point of view

You just got the car

You want to make it your own, make it special

Buy the 19 wheels, make it look better (remember you dont need to save those 5 pounds for the 18 wheels) you are not racing. It is not even a racing car.

Buy the exhaust, it will sould great, it will put a smile on your face everytime you turn the car on.

Do the exterior mods that you like.

Now, if you are going to go to the drag strip, and what you want is to put some 11`down, then go for a TURBO KIT.

Or if you are one of those guys that just cares for resale, dont do anything at all, and just drive your stock car.

And dont pay atention to those guys that say, drive the stock car for 4 years and then buy the 991 TURBO. You only live once, if you like modding cars, driving a stock car for 4 years, feels like you are totaly dead.

So MOD IT drive it for 4 years, and trade it for a TURBO then.

Trust me, does 7K that you are planing to spend on mods, wont hurt you when you are going to buy a 120k car in 4 or 5 years.

Have fun

Old 10-29-2011, 01:24 PM
MarathonBob has a spectacular aura aboutMarathonBob has a spectacular aura aboutMarathonBob has a spectacular aura about
I've had my TPC turbo on my '06 C4 (3.6l) for 2+ years now and it's been nothing but smiles. The TPC package comes with a new exhaust which has a great sound to boot. Yes, I won't get the money back when I sell but I don't have any plans to sell and it's a MUCH more fun car. The cost is a fraction of a factory 911 turbo so I felt it was a pretty good deal. If I had lots of money sitting around looking for a home, I would have gone with the Turbo S, but for my situation it was the right move.

Old 10-29-2011, 02:02 PM
Jack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by GTRR
I am in the exact same position. I am currently pricing exhaust and tune....up to $3K to do it right. It doesn't seem worth it for 20 HP. I agree with the guys....$13K for the TPC Turbo and 150 HP sounds better everyday. I am still trying to decide whether I keep this C2 to track rather than selling it to get the 991 turbo. I am still on the fence. If this C2 is only worth $25K in 5 years, I might as well keep it and track the heck out of it! I will make that decision by year end.

I'm planning to track my 997 more in about 5 years, similar to what you're stating above. The car will be pretty well depreciated, and my kids will be 9, 12, and 14 so the backseat will be much less useful. I have a 944 for the track now, but I've already been tracking it for 8 years, so five more will be about all I can take.

So, I'm installing / planning my mods accordingly. I've got them listed in the sig line, but it's a combination of track-oriented suspension along with some cosmetic mods. I think the next things are as follows:
- RSS front and rear control arms (I'm pretty psyched for these - saving up)
- Engine mounts (Rennline?)
- LWFW (when clutch goes)
- I'll need track wheels (18" Allegerita unless something better comes along)
- All the safety stuff including roll bar, seats (I'm scared to think about this one), harnesses at a minimum.
Then for performance, maybe turbo is the way to go. If not, I would do:
- hi-flow cats, maybe headers
- IPD Plenum with GT3 TB (in development?)
- tune
- maybe RSS underdrive pulley

I think the car would be plenty fast as it is, actually, and the above performance stuff would have to be done with silly money, as would a turbo kit if I went that route. We'll see. It's a shame that the mods I'll do to the 997 for track duty would cost much more than the market value of my 944!

Old 10-29-2011, 03:53 PM
Onetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant future
Ok, we've made your mind up for you, what cha gonna do? lol

Old 10-29-2011, 08:15 PM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
IMO the bolt-on turbo kits are more expensive than they first appear when you consider the value they destroy: the remaining warranty on (at least) the engine and transmission. Besides still being on warranty, 09 has good resale being a .2. You destroy much of that premium. Bottom line I say trade in for turbo or do some modest mods that bolt on and off. To me in many cases modding a 997 achieves improved sound more cosistently than significant power.

Old 10-30-2011, 03:11 PM
Doc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by KonaKai
IMO the bolt-on turbo kits are more expensive than they first appear when you consider the value they destroy: the remaining warranty on (at least) the engine and transmission. Besides still being on warranty, 09 has good resale being a .2. You destroy much of that premium. Bottom line I say trade in for turbo or do some modest mods that bolt on and off. To me in many cases modding a 997 achieves improved sound more cosistently than significant power.

The good thing about bolt-on turbos or superchargers is that they bolt off when it is time to sell or trade so don't sweat the "value lost" crap. You mod to enjoy the car, not worry about the person who buys it after you . . .

Old 11-01-2011, 05:18 AM
mikegr is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Mark Ducati
Here's where I'm at...

2009 Carrera 3.6L, I'd really like a Turbo S one day, but that's probably going to be a 5 year plan for me.... so in the meantime here are some mods I've got going on right now:

Fab Speed primary bypass pipe
19" Wheel Dynamics 808 wheels

-----------------------

I know I can dyno/retune the car for about $1500 bucks...
Headers... what would I expect to pay for a set? $1000-1500?
FabSpeed secondary bypass pipes $495
GT3 Aero wing $2500

-----------------------

I'm down with spending another $6500-7000 for my Carrera... I think a little extra power and style will go a long way with what I'm looking for...

Is there anything else you might recommend? BMC filters (I didn't include those as that's about the least expensive thing to do on my "to do list".

Last question.... with these mods, do you think it would help the resale of my car later? Or is this like a swimming pool in your back yard, only helps the home sale if the buyer is specifically looking for a pool?
You should have bought a 385hp S model.Now you will spend more and 'll get 30% maximum of what you have spended at the end...

Old 11-01-2011, 07:04 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
I recommend to keep most of drivetrain stock to the limit where it does not affect warranty directly if you intend to drive car on a track a lot. if any problem happens that will require warranty work to be performed you do not want to feel 'stuck' and have to take off and then put on your 'mods'.

plus, longer you keep your drivetrain stock - it probably will be longer for it to remain alive and kicking. so i would do usual stuff - 200 cell cats, center muffler bypass and softronic flash, probably, but not sure if ecu flash on dfi cars gives much of a power increase. decide for yourself.

check with tuners - from what i heard those dfi engines are quite tunable.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:13 AM
Jack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by mikegr
You should have bought a 385hp S model.Now you will spend more and 'll get 30% maximum of what you have spended at the end...
Word to the wise:
Pay attention to whom you are giving advice. This thread is over one year old. It was re-opened and I responded to One of the guys who resurrected the thread. Reaponding to the OP is probably futile, as he sold his car long ago:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...9-carerra.html

Last edited by Jack667; 11-01-2011 at 07:16 AM.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:56 AM
Former Vendor
Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !
Hey Mark, Without affecting the factory warranty, I would say it keep simple and easy. Stick with the bolt on upgrades and an ECU Tune and that will really wake the car up. Our 997.2 put down 364.63 HP and 306.84 Torque to the wheels with our Full Performance package and EVO ECU tune. The package consisted of our Headers with 200 cell Sport Cats, Primary Bypass X Pipe, 2ndary Maxflo Sport Mufflers with Tips, Air Intake and software. The headers don't make a big increase unless you do them without cats for increase power in mid range and up. If you don't do the headers, its about 5+ HP less. This package is direct bolt on replacement and will improve response all across the board. PM me if you have any questions.
thanks,

Old 11-03-2011, 11:34 AM
ttpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond repute
Modding a NA Porsche with bolt ons is dumb. MAYBE (with top of the line stuff) you get another 25-30hp for $12k. Most kits get you 0-5hp, but more sound!!Either you turbo/supercharge or sell the car and get a turbo.

Old 11-03-2011, 01:50 PM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by ttpopo
Modding a NA Porsche with bolt ons is dumb. MAYBE (with top of the line stuff) you get another 25-30hp for $12k. Most kits get you 0-5hp, but more sound!!Either you turbo/supercharge or sell the car and get a turbo.
Don't know how you get to $12k. Intake $500 + plenum $1k (optional) + headers $700 + cats $1600 + mufflers $800 (though I recommend Gundo for $300 or less) + flash $1000 = $4-6k.

Yes, no doubt power-wise the turbochargers are more bang for the buck. The above though is easy to install and remove, doesn't compromise the engine or transmission in any way, and sounds absolutely divine IMHO.

Honestly, I think it's worth doing for the sound alone. If you are on a budget, you can skip the plenum, headers and flash and get most of the same sound for around the same price as a PSE, plus pick up a few ponies from the cats and intake.

Tons of threads on how much (or little) power bolt-ons produce. I have yet to see a real, controlled, independent test, so my guess is nothing more than that, BUT...

The tuners like AWE are claiming 28-39hp on an S for headers/cats/mufflers. I'm very skeptical of that. But let's say you add also a flash, plenum and intake... 20-30hp should be a unrealistic estimate IMO. Considering what an X51 Kit costs for +23hp, it's a bargain.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2009 Carerra 3.6L... how much more power can I get out of this?