997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

2009 Carerra 3.6L... how much more power can I get out of this?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 03:17 PM
Mark Ducati is infamous around these partsMark Ducati is infamous around these parts
2009 Carerra 3.6L... how much more power can I get out of this?

Here's where I'm at...

2009 Carrera 3.6L, I'd really like a Turbo S one day, but that's probably going to be a 5 year plan for me.... so in the meantime here are some mods I've got going on right now:

Fab Speed primary bypass pipe
19" Wheel Dynamics 808 wheels

-----------------------

I know I can dyno/retune the car for about $1500 bucks...
Headers... what would I expect to pay for a set? $1000-1500?
FabSpeed secondary bypass pipes $495
GT3 Aero wing $2500

-----------------------

I'm down with spending another $6500-7000 for my Carrera... I think a little extra power and style will go a long way with what I'm looking for...

Is there anything else you might recommend? BMC filters (I didn't include those as that's about the least expensive thing to do on my "to do list".

Last question.... with these mods, do you think it would help the resale of my car later? Or is this like a swimming pool in your back yard, only helps the home sale if the buyer is specifically looking for a pool?

Last edited by Mark Ducati; 10-08-2010 at 03:21 PM.
Old 10-08-2010, 03:34 PM
sizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond repute
I think the 3.6 is the wrong car for power mods but if you insist, do a turbo or s/c kit. Also, I don't thing mods add to the retail value, in fact any engine mods is a red flag to many.

Last edited by sizquik; 10-08-2010 at 04:23 PM.
Old 10-08-2010, 04:00 PM
axhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud of
Another side to explore is try to reduce the weight (overall and unsprung.)

Like the old saying, "Adding power makes you faster on the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere."

Regards,

Old 10-08-2010, 04:25 PM
NeunElf is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by axhoaxho
Another side to explore is try to reduce the weight (overall and unsprung.)

Like the old saying, "Adding power makes you faster on the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere."

Regards,
I love that old Colin Chapman quote! It is sooo true!

Old 10-08-2010, 05:52 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Mods are for you not the next owner - don't expect to recover you expenditures when you sell.

Old 10-08-2010, 06:19 PM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Start DE'ing your car or go to PSDS and learn how to drive the car somewhere near its potential. Thats the best mod and it transfers to every car you ever own and drive.

Mod it for your taste, not the next buyer.

You will recover practically nothing from the mods unless you remove them and sell them separately.

Old 10-08-2010, 06:21 PM
ttpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond repute
trade it in and get a turbo...sorry

you can spend $10k and get 30HP.

also, 19"wheels are usually heavier than 18" ones.

increasing unsprung weight is never good for performance

Old 10-08-2010, 06:41 PM
MichaelL is infamous around these partsMichaelL is infamous around these parts
If you are planning on selling the car and moving up in 5 years, don't do any modifications. The funds you are considering blowing on cosmetic fripperies and small power gains is probably a significant portion of a year's loan payments. Save the money & upgrade in 4 years.

Old 10-08-2010, 06:53 PM
stockid is infamous around these partsstockid is infamous around these parts
Smile

Well, I have a 2009 Carrera. I did a few mods but this is it for me. I'm keeping this car. Don't really understand why people buy a car but really want something else. Sell that one and get like 04-06 turbo and be happy. You can mod the hell out of it and it will be fast as heck. I think many of us forget that the P-car stock is faster than like 98% of the cars on the road. Plus, if your just doing daily driving you can't go wrong with the 09 and the gas milage. Then shift if over if ya got PDK and haul ***. I was going to get like an 04 turbo but got my car instead. Just, feel that modded out turbos are for the track. When I check out my car in the garage before getting in still can't believe it. I love my car!

Old 10-09-2010, 12:10 AM
robfxlr is a glorious beacon of lightrobfxlr is a glorious beacon of lightrobfxlr is a glorious beacon of lightrobfxlr is a glorious beacon of lightrobfxlr is a glorious beacon of light
I agree with the previous post, enjoy your P car, its faster than 98 % of other cars on the road. If you want a Turbo, get one some day but don't waste money adding mods for the attempt at "speed" improvement. I went for fairly big bucks for the SS Tubi exhaust which I love! It is noticable upon startup, low driving and aceleration and mid qand upper range acceleration. Just all around, makes the car sound meaner.........
Enjoy the car and get the Turbo if and when you are ready..Just my 2 cents......

Old 10-09-2010, 12:46 AM
wa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of light
skip all your mods and either add a turbo kit, or wait for turbo S... turbo kit is 10k+install...

headers and such are minimal gains.

Old 10-09-2010, 02:41 AM
tourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud of
its obviously to late now

but if you planned on spending 6500 on pretty simple mods like a retune and some wheels I think the S would have made a lot of sense. As for power gains FI is the only real way to get very noticeable gains from the butt dyno.

Old 10-09-2010, 09:27 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
Mark,
Please allow me to politely recommend using this site's search function.
CATTMAN

Old 10-11-2010, 11:53 AM
sigfla is infamous around these parts
Don't listen to the naysayers Mark. Thinking outside the box and wanting more is what gave us all the toys we have today. Go for whatever and let me know how it turns out.

In fact go ahead and send your car to TPC so they can guinea pig it for the new 997.2 3.6L turbo. When they are done with yours I will send mine in. If you find more and it is reliable everyone on the board with a 3.6L will thank you for it.

The biggest issue I see with cars in this class is it takes alot to get a little. The HP difference between 3.6L and 3.8L NA cars only shaves a little bit off a 1/4 mile run. That little bit makes a whole lotta difference to someone who cares but for most it doesn't. If I could get Turbo performance out of mine for 90K less than a new car well that about does it for me. If I could get same model year S car performance for 6-7K I might as well order an S instead, or just take a small bath and trade up. FI seems to be the only way to go to get real power gains and make it justifiable money wise.

If you decide to do it I wanna hear all about it and I hope TPC gets moving on it as soon as they are done with that 05 car that is causing them fits. A quick weekend train ride up to TPC from Sanford and 10K later will be fun in about 3 years or 40K miles.

Old 10-11-2010, 12:06 PM
Former Vendor
Sales@Champion is a splendid one to beholdSales@Champion is a splendid one to beholdSales@Champion is a splendid one to beholdSales@Champion is a splendid one to beholdSales@Champion is a splendid one to beholdSales@Champion is a splendid one to beholdSales@Champion is a splendid one to behold
My personal car put down 329 WHP with bolt-ons. We are going to get the car back on the dyno and have GIAC help us with a custom tune.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2009 Carerra 3.6L... how much more power can I get out of this?