997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Daily Driver... PDK or Manual?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 09:11 PM
Johnson184 is infamous around these parts
Daily Driver... PDK or Manual?

Within the next year, I plan on picking up an 09 Carrera S. I'm now trying to figure out if I should get a stickshift or a paddleshifter. I've previously only driven automatics, but I've recently started learning how to stick shift. I understand for racing enthusiasts, the dual clutch should be faster around a track. I keep hearing about how awful stickshifts are compared to automatics for driving around the city. Is it really that bad? The only thing that worries me is having to shift the car into 1st at an uphill stoplight... with an oblivious car right next to your rear bumper.
Any of you guys want to give your 2 cents on which I should go with?

Oh... and I've started to fall in love with the Sand Beige interior. Is the dash all leather or does it have some plastic unless you get the leather interior upgrade?

P.S. Is it really true some carmakers are abandoning stickshifts completely? A buddy told me Ferrari and Lamborghini are all paddle shifters from here on out... was he joking? I'm not sure I believe him... since he's trying to get me to consider a GTR lol.

Last edited by Johnson184; 10-12-2010 at 09:26 PM.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:07 PM
TooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant future
Dash is all plastic unless you go with full leather.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:10 PM
997sRider is just really nice997sRider is just really nice997sRider is just really nice997sRider is just really nice997sRider is just really nice
I have 6 speed daily driver. It can be annoying in traffic but not bad. It's great 90% of the time. I enjoy it way more than my previous tiptronic 997. I know PDK is different animal but decided against it. Drive both and see which one you like better.

'09 and later manual cars have hill assist. It keeps your car in place when taking off on incline. I kinda don't like it but it may be useful if you live in very hilly areas like SF. I had the car for a year and still get annoyed.

Yes, it's true some carmakers are abandoning manual but not Porsche. You can only get GT3 in manual.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:25 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I have both . I love both --for different reasons .

I have mixed feelings over which to choose. The PDK will be easier in gridlock traffic but a Porsche manual is one of the best built gearboxes that i have ever driven. I feel that PDK is poised to evolve in future cars and the manual is very traditional .

If it was my first porsche and I expected to keep the car long term --I'd opt for a manual.
If it's a two or three year car for daily use -- PDK gets my vote.

So it really depends on your sentiment, driving needs and anticipated timeline of ownership.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:36 PM
vrnkc is infamous around these parts
Get the 6 sp manual. It will give you the real sports car experience.

Old 10-12-2010, 11:20 PM
syosh is infamous around these parts
I learned how to drive a stick specifically for my daily driven 997. Now, I couldn't imagine having a 997 without one.

Old 10-12-2010, 11:59 PM
robfxlr is a glorious beacon of lightrobfxlr is a glorious beacon of lightrobfxlr is a glorious beacon of lightrobfxlr is a glorious beacon of lightrobfxlr is a glorious beacon of light
I say go PDK, best of both worlds and no worries about clutch replacement. PDK is faster gear switching than manual anyway, only drawback is the high cost for the option, but, to me, otherwise, a no brainer..................................

Old 10-13-2010, 04:42 AM
Alan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond repute
just survived 50 miles of stop and go traffic

I95 through Connecticut SUCKS!!. I have a '09 manual C2S - my 2 hour ride from NJ to Groton CT took 5 hours from Groton to NJ. The comfort of the drive with the 6 speed was no problem at all since the manual clutch is assisted. Wouldn't have wanted to do this drive in with the GT3 clutch, though.

I guess someday when I get old (be 62 next week) I'll worry about the manumatics, but as far as I'm concerned there's nothing sweeter than a Porsche 6 speed manual transmission on a C2S.

Old 10-13-2010, 05:49 AM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Pdk is great and it will surely shift faster. May save a few seconds on your DD trips. On the track it is great but then if your on the track I would think you would want to test your skill and not the cars gizmos.

Unless you have a physical reason to avoid a 6 speed it think it's the way to go.

Old 10-13-2010, 06:40 AM
P997S is infamous around these partsP997S is infamous around these parts
I absolutely love my PDK. I wish i had a manual for maybe 1 or 2 days a month..but I would NOT give up my PDK for it

Old 10-13-2010, 06:45 AM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by P997S
I absolutely love my PDK. I wish i had a manual for maybe 1 or 2 days a month..but I would NOT give up my PDK for it

Can't disagree.

Simply boils down to different strokes. Get what you like and forget everyone else's take on it.

Old 10-13-2010, 07:08 AM
exponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to behold
Go PDK unless you want to drive on track

Old 10-13-2010, 07:22 AM
tourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud of
I vote PDK

As many have already said it just comes down to preference. I grew up driving manual cars and now I dont have 1 in the garage and I almost never miss it. The PDK is awesome because you can treat it like a manual if you want or you can let it do its own thing. I can honestly say the PDK basically reads your mind in hard driving situations. Which ever way you go you have made the right choice because they are both great transimissions.

BTW your friend was right Ferrari is going away from manuals, you can still get one in the lambo.

Old 10-13-2010, 07:42 AM
major c2s has a spectacular aura aboutmajor c2s has a spectacular aura about
Prior to my current PDK C4S I've had 5 Porsches, all were manual. I really like my PDK but must say that it changes the car completely. In my opinion, it gets 911 firmly into GT category and removes the driver from the action quite a bit. I am glad I had my share of the manual P-cars and hope to get another manual Porsche in the future. I wouldn't recommend starting with a PDK equipped car though since I believe that in addition to providing great convenience, PDK definitely takes away from true Porsche driving experience.

Old 10-13-2010, 07:59 AM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Johnson184
The only thing that worries me is having to shift the car into 1st at an uphill stoplight... with an oblivious car right next to your rear bumper.

May as well get used to that idea - it will happen while you are learning. Although '09s, at least, have "drive-off assist":

While keeping the clutch pedal depressed,
release the brake pedal.
The vehicle is held on the slope for a short time
in order to allow driving off directly after the
brake is released.

That should help considerably.

Sticks are probably going to continue to decline - they don't provide performance or economic benefits, but if you have never had a car like that, it could be a fun thing to do - who cares if other cars are moving away from them anyway.

PDK is expensive new, but I bet CPO'd will hardly matter.

The dash is vinyl (on any color) on "standard leather" - leather dash is with "full leather", which is also a misnomer. But it seems fine to me - easy enough to go look at some cars to see if you really care about that.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Daily Driver... PDK or Manual?