997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

TPM - Wheel Dynamics, having trouble with the new wheels

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 06:32 PM
Mark Ducati is infamous around these partsMark Ducati is infamous around these parts
TPM - Wheel Dynamics, having trouble with the new wheels

I got the new Wheel Dynamic 808's installed... when I go through the set up procedure for the new rims, I select Summer Tires, 19" Rims, Partial Load... then I get a message that TPM Learning, monitoring not active... according to the manual which is correct. And, you have to be moving 16 kph for the new TPM's to be recognized...

Problem is I either get 4 readings, one for each tire, but its like a 0, -1 , -1, and -4... then when I tired it again, I get a 33psi for front right and 39 for rear right, but nothing for the lefts????

Could my TPM's on the left side be damaged?

Eli?

Any help on getting these buggers dialed in would be helpful.

Thanks, Mark

Old 10-13-2010, 06:52 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
THey should come up. Did you give them enough time to register? Sometimes takes a while to "learn".

Old 10-14-2010, 06:00 AM
Mark Ducati is infamous around these partsMark Ducati is infamous around these parts
Okay, I did the "set" procedure for the tires before I left my house, took the kids to school, drove to work and park... checked the TPM before getting out:

0 +1

-4 -5

The tires don't look low? I haven't checked with a manual gauge yet... but they should all read like +30.... I have the psi setting, not the BAR...

I don't understand what's wrong?

Old 10-14-2010, 10:48 AM
Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !
This is normal. You need to reset the tpms. The "-1" status is saying that the psi of that tire is low by 1lb. compared to what it was set at with the old wheels.

Just follow the instructions again, and reset the system. It takes a while of driving to get it to reset.

Old 10-14-2010, 11:09 AM
Former Vendor
Wheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Axxlrod
This is normal. You need to reset the tpms. The "-1" status is saying that the psi of that tire is low by 1lb. compared to what it was set at with the old wheels.

Just follow the instructions again, and reset the system. It takes a while of driving to get it to reset.
+1 Thanks Axxlrod,

Remember the correct readings are found on the door sill area for both front and rear, they have two different settings, we usually inflate using the Corghi gauge which isn't 100% accurate so I would double check the settings in order to adjust to your vehicle specifics.

Please feel free to call me directly if you have any questions regarding,

-Eli (626) 248-8881

The TPMS equipment installed are all 100% new and we do take extra efforts to ensure there is no damage to the sensors while being installed. If the sensors were damaged you wouldn't get readings.

Once again call me if you have any further questions,

Old 10-14-2010, 04:26 PM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
The TPMS is a half @$$ed system at best so I believe the Wheel Dynamics folks when they say the sensors are OK. Have had similar problems with my OEM sensors just trying to get them to read the correct pressures. It took several attempts. The system recovered after the 4th attempt but can't say as I can tell you why or what I did to get it to work.

Old 10-14-2010, 04:48 PM
FWIW, I sincerely wasn't complaining about Wheel Dynamics at all... Eli and his customer service and products have been first class

I just cant get the sensors dialed in right and don't know what I'm doing wrong...

I go to the TPM function, then select set, then I choose Summer Tyres, then 19" tires... after that it says the set up is complete, but right away it goes into the TPM learning and monitoring not available mode... so I drive a little bit, then I get a "set up complete" note... when I stop to check the tires, I'm still getting minus this or minus that as its comparing the new sensors I guess to the old ones...

when it gets cold and I get a -7 or -8 on the pressure, it gives me a "flat tire" notice... I've tried at least a dozen times going through the set up where I start from scratch at where I choose summer tires and 19" wheels...

Am I still doing something wrong?

Old 10-14-2010, 04:52 PM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Dadio
The TPMS is a half @$$ed system at best....
Mark's car is a ".2" and the TPMS should be reasonably accurate - mine works very well.

Old 10-14-2010, 05:02 PM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Mark Ducati
FWIW, I sincerely wasn't complaining about Wheel Dynamics at all... Eli and his customer service and products have been first class

I just cant get the sensors dialed in right and don't know what I'm doing wrong...

I go to the TPM function, then select set, then I choose Summer Tyres, then 19" tires... after that it says the set up is complete, but right away it goes into the TPM learning and monitoring not available mode... so I drive a little bit, then I get a "set up complete" note... when I stop to check the tires, I'm still getting minus this or minus that as its comparing the new sensors I guess to the old ones...

when it gets cold and I get a -7 or -8 on the pressure, it gives me a "flat tire" notice... I've tried at least a dozen times going through the set up where I start from scratch at where I choose summer tires and 19" wheels...

Am I still doing something wrong?

There are two different TPMS displays:

- one you can use while driving that shows the approximate pressures - activate it by moving the function lever up or down,

- the other one can only be used with the car is stationary and it shows the deltas from nominal pressure (+1, 0, -1, -2) - activate it by pushing the function lever forward, then up/down through the menu. This stationary display is what you can use to determine needed tire pressure adjustments.

It is probably best to use an accurate pressure guage and set the tires by that, then see how close the TPMS system is to that - mine is within 1lb or less.

Old 10-14-2010, 07:33 PM
Thanks guys... you were right all along...

I was getting confused between the +/- 1-2 pts... vs. the actual reading of say 31psi on my rear tire...

That's where the problem was...

On my Z06 I was running 30lbs on the front and 32 on the rears...

Looking at the sticker on Porsche, it says to runner something like 44 on the rear and high 30 something on the fronts! That was for 265's...

I'm running 295's on the rear and 235's on the fronts... can you please advise me what pressures I should be running?

I just wasn't used to running pressures that high....

Old 10-14-2010, 07:47 PM
44 is for fully loaded @ 68F; you should probably be running 40 for partially loaded.

The PSI settings are for the load of the car @ 68F, not the load you plan to have later - in other words, if the car is not actually fully loaded, even if you plan to load it up later, don't pump the tires to 44. The load will increase the pressure of the tires when present.

Old 10-14-2010, 07:50 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Your PSI cold should be 34 front and 40 rear.

Old 10-14-2010, 07:54 PM
Former Vendor
Wheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Mark Ducati
Thank you sir,

We have place on order a new wheel balance Hunter Road Force Balance with EVERY SINGLE option available. This machine even has the ability to print out instructions with every TPMS system offered to date for set-up.

Our scheduled delivery should be in three weeks, if you are still experiencing issues after that point please send me your vin number and I'll see what I can do to get you a copy of those detailed instructions.

-Eli