997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

A sports Mode question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 08:26 AM
wmclarenf1 is infamous around these parts
A sports Mode question

Mine is a 07 997S.1 with TIP gearbox and does NOT come with sport chrono package and the sport mode button.

Would driving in Manual mode be equivalent to the sports mode? Not sure if I'm calling things right so benefit of doubt requested.

Last edited by wmclarenf1; 10-15-2010 at 08:30 AM.
Old 10-15-2010, 02:51 PM
carrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant future
I think the sport mode just makes the pedal more sensitive rather then it being heavy. Imo i guess

Old 10-15-2010, 03:43 PM
alex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond repute
i'm pretty sure it's throttle response and shifting pattern is different.

Old 10-15-2010, 07:18 PM
Originally Posted by alex911s
i'm pretty sure it's throttle response and shifting pattern is different.
Thanks for the answers.

I think so too... so if sports mode does what you say... does a TIP car with NO sport chrono package and NO sport button mode button driving in MANUAL have a similar change in throttle response and shifting pattern?

Old 10-16-2010, 03:36 AM
tejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud of
Are you sure that there is no Sport mode Button?

Anyway, sport mode lowers the car about 1/2" and stiffens the suspension; throttle response is mostly a function of your foot and shift points change in response to how you are driving at that time. Putting the Tip in manual mode does nothing but allow you to keep it in a specific gear up to about 7000RPM.

Old 10-16-2010, 05:01 AM
Originally Posted by tejoe
Are you sure that there is no Sport mode Button?

Anyway, sport mode lowers the car about 1/2" and stiffens the suspension; throttle response is mostly a function of your foot and shift points change in response to how you are driving at that time. Putting the Tip in manual mode does nothing but allow you to keep it in a specific gear up to about 7000RPM.
I only have a PASM, PSE and rear spoiler buttons. No sport mode button and no sport chrono.

Old 10-16-2010, 10:30 AM
tejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud of
sport button

Not being argumentative and my memory is not the best, but if I recall the PASM button next to the manual spoiler one is the "spert" button on a non-sports chrono 997.1S Tip.

I'm not familiar with a 'PSE' button other than as an aftermarket add on.; there should be a 'PSM' button to the far right.

Old 10-19-2010, 11:59 PM
csm356 is infamous around these parts
Left to right: Spoiler button, PASM button (picture of a shock). Sport button, a few blanks, [the PSE button (aftermarket?) would go in here?], PSM button.

Whether in the manual mode or the automatic (D) mode, if you have the Sport button turned on (light on) the throttle response is faster (better tip-in and easier to rev to the limiter). Your tiptronic will shift faster (and smoother, IMHO). PSM engagement is...relaxed.

The 997.1 manual part no WKD 997 221 05 describes this on p 64.

The OP's question was about driving in M with the tip being equivalent to "Sport" mode. What I'm first going to presume is he means is "Is it the same as with PASM (the shock picture button)", which he doesn't have.

The answer to that is no, as said above having PASM lowers the car 10mm (doesn't actively change the ride height), and on the 997.1 the shock setting is waaay stiffer. IMHO really only tolerable if you're on newly paved surfaces, a track, or driving aggressively enough that you don't notice...every. little. ripple. I love the PASM active mode, but I am sooo happy to have Dr. Jekyll as well as Mr. Hyde.

PASM also does some work when the button (light) is off. Chassis dynamics are constantly measured and "aggressive driving" which causes rapid direction changes will cause the suspension to get tighter. I don't know if it "learns" a pattern for your repetitive driving style.

The other interpretation of the OP's question is, "Does 'M' mode in the tip engage the Sport mode?" and the answer to that is, no, you can just as well drive in Sport mode in "D" where it does hold the gear a little longer before upshift and appears to be more aggressive on downshift under braking. As I drive almost all the time in "M", and with the "Sport" button on, I can't say that I recall that point accurately. I've only got about 8k miles in the car.

I also like the "OG PDK", which is my Tip, light years ahead of the Tip in my 6-year-older Audi. Best of both worlds. Would I like a PDK? Sure, probably. But do I like the Tip? Absolutely.

Old 10-20-2010, 03:42 AM
Originally Posted by csm356
Left to right: Spoiler button, PASM button (picture of a shock). Sport button, a few blanks, [the PSE button (aftermarket?) would go in here?], PSM button.

Whether in the manual mode or the automatic (D) mode, if you have the Sport button turned on (light on) the throttle response is faster (better tip-in and easier to rev to the limiter). Your tiptronic will shift faster (and smoother, IMHO). PSM engagement is...relaxed.

The 997.1 manual part no WKD 997 221 05 describes this on p 64.

The OP's question was about driving in M with the tip being equivalent to "Sport" mode. What I'm first going to presume is he means is "Is it the same as with PASM (the shock picture button)", which he doesn't have.

The answer to that is no, as said above having PASM lowers the car 10mm (doesn't actively change the ride height), and on the 997.1 the shock setting is waaay stiffer. IMHO really only tolerable if you're on newly paved surfaces, a track, or driving aggressively enough that you don't notice...every. little. ripple. I love the PASM active mode, but I am sooo happy to have Dr. Jekyll as well as Mr. Hyde.

PASM also does some work when the button (light) is off. Chassis dynamics are constantly measured and "aggressive driving" which causes rapid direction changes will cause the suspension to get tighter. I don't know if it "learns" a pattern for your repetitive driving style.

The other interpretation of the OP's question is, "Does 'M' mode in the tip engage the Sport mode?" and the answer to that is, no, you can just as well drive in Sport mode in "D" where it does hold the gear a little longer before upshift and appears to be more aggressive on downshift under braking. As I drive almost all the time in "M", and with the "Sport" button on, I can't say that I recall that point accurately. I've only got about 8k miles in the car.

I also like the "OG PDK", which is my Tip, light years ahead of the Tip in my 6-year-older Audi. Best of both worlds. Would I like a PDK? Sure, probably. But do I like the Tip? Absolutely.
Thanks Chris for the taking and extensive effort to explain.

ok.. my buttons look like this :

From Left to right : Spoiler - Shocks - Exhaust -------------- PSM

Where I am asking for my 997.1S with TIP is.... when I drive in "M" mode, each gear drags till 7000+ rpm before shifting automatically or I can shift with the steering buttons before 7000+ rpms if I choose...

.... so in essence, driving in "M" mode in my car withOUT sport chrono and/or sport button will STILL NOT have an more agressive shifting and faster throttle response as if I was driving in "M" mode with the sport function?

I realize my car suspension won't automatically stiffen and I need to activate that separately.

I'm tripping over myself asking this..