997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Um...bad service experience.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 06:18 PM
pvanosta is just really nicepvanosta is just really nicepvanosta is just really nicepvanosta is just really nicepvanosta is just really nice
You are probably right. I can only speak of what I have experienced.

Two large Porsche dealerships in Southern California (the two dealers within easy driving distance for me). Both with crap, uncaring, gauge-you-whenever-they-can service.

1 BMW mega dealership in Southern California. The best service I have ever experienced.

I love Porsches (I'm on my 4th 911), but it will be a cold day in hell before I visit a dealership, because of my experience so far.

Old 10-19-2010, 06:44 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
I have had great service from a local VW/Audi dealer, when the manager left the service turned to crap. All the other people remained the same....amazing how one person can make things work so well.

Old 10-19-2010, 06:58 PM
PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jabed92694
I would highly recommend a good Porsche Certified independant mechanic. These guys are Porsche factory trained (and most of the time used to previously work for Porsche delarships) and use all OEM parts and labour is a hell of alot cheaper. Also these guys take more time and probably would not forget the simple thing of putting a cap back on mostly becasue they are not pushing large volumes of cars throught their bays and take more time per car. These guys are usually more thorough in my experience than most dealers. I take mine to a Certified Porsche independant and the factory 24k and all minor service is just a quick visual inspection, fluid top off, oil change, air filter change and cabin filter change. Here's what I do.....go to Porsche parts department at your local dealer and buy the cabin and air filter and replace yourself in 5 mins (no joke) and save any dealer charging you an hour labour for this. Then take your car to a Certified independant and have them do your oil change...will cost like $150 for the oil change. So you just saved yourself $300 in labour and no one forgets to put the cap back on !!
I took my '09 to a local independent Porsche shop for an early oil and filter change. The place was clean, the guys very friendly and enthusiastic about Porsches, they had all the right tools, took their time, and, as I later discovered, knew nothing about the newer models or the DFI engines. They overfilled the oil, which for some reason took about a week to trip a trouble message. I immediately called a Porsche dealer about 70 miles away and got an appointment for the next morning. They took the car in, diagnosed the problem (bad sensor or overfill), fixed the problem (overfill), test drove the car, explained what they found to me, handed me the keys and didn't charge me a dime. All they asked was for me to consider them the next time I needed service. You bet I will.

Old 10-19-2010, 07:18 PM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
Hennessy Porsche here in ATL has been great - excellent. And United BMW, in the past, for my BMWs was excellent as well. Not all dealers are the same, apparently.

Old 10-19-2010, 07:45 PM
jakesdad is a jewel in the roughjakesdad is a jewel in the roughjakesdad is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by rossii
When you take your car to a professional you shouldnt have to worry about this. They are the professionals and should do professional work. You check your car after you take it to the dealer most dont and wouldnt even know what to look at. Situations like this really irk me......you are paid to do a job dont do it half ***.

AMEN!!!

My Porsche dealer couldn't be more friendly and spends a great deal of time apologizing for any thing that goes wrong with their service... Unfortunately they spend too much time apologizing.... I just had my first oil change done by them and it's the last... I had the first oil change included in the deal for the new car...They're just plain sloppy. I'm so tired of people doing a half ars job and taking my money. I'll be moving on to another dealership for warranty work and a local independent Porsche mechanic for anything in the future that I can't do myself...

Old 10-19-2010, 08:06 PM
jakesdad is a jewel in the roughjakesdad is a jewel in the roughjakesdad is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by NorthVan
I don't think that it is fair to paint all dealers with the same broad stroke, they are different businesses, all selling the same product. All manufactures try to push for the highest customer service out from there dealer network.
The dealer that I bought the car from couldn't be nicer or friendlier... They just do a crap job with a smile on their faces...It's one excuse after another.
I really don't care that the mechanics wife isn't feeling well.
Or I'll tell them not to wash the car after they fix it... only to have them apologize to me for washing the car after they fixed it.... . I just washed the car before I brought it in...and dried it!!!!!!!
I'm not complaining that they washed a car for me but that they did a crap job washing it....
Just do what I ask... no more .. no less

Old 10-19-2010, 08:25 PM
cfgtts is a splendid one to beholdcfgtts is a splendid one to beholdcfgtts is a splendid one to beholdcfgtts is a splendid one to beholdcfgtts is a splendid one to beholdcfgtts is a splendid one to beholdcfgtts is a splendid one to behold
When I had my 06, 997. It turned out to be the easiest car to change the oil, I have ever done! DIY for somethings!

Old 10-20-2010, 10:24 AM
sullivas is infamous around these parts
I called a dealer to ask some questions re: the IMS issue. Instant snotty attitude, extremely condescending. Very little info given, no help whatsoever. It felt like I was trying to get a table at a newly-opened, overbooked exclusive restaurant.
And these guys aren't that busy.

Old 10-20-2010, 04:39 PM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by NC 997
Bottom line: When you're working on a $90K vehicle, you shouldn't have to 'apologize' for anything. Something as simple as leaving a cap unsecured is understandable, unless you do it for a living. A simple double-check to ensure that all caps are where they're supposed to be, along with the oil pan drain bolt, 'oil' is in the pan (how many of us have heard stories where the quick change oil service place sent a car away without oil in the pan..), and a quick wipe-up of any fluids that may have spilled always goes a long way when it comes to 'quality service'.

Now you'll be hesitant to take it back.. and when you do.. will you 'wonder'..
I agree but the reality today is that many of the auto techs are not that competent and sometimes the more complex the vehicle the less competent the tech. Your experience doesn't surprise me at all. I once got my Mercedes back from the dealer after a steering hose replacement with no power steering fluid in it, turning a minor repair into a major one for the dealer. As a result, I make a point of checking my car thoroughly after it is returned to me so should I find something amiss I point it out immediately so there isn't any question as to who is at fault. I never leave the dealer until I am satisfied they haven't messed up more that they have fixed. To be fair to Porsche, I do this at every dealer I take a car to. Skilled techs are very hard to find and difficult for a dealer to keep as they can make more money working for someone else or by opening their own shop.

Old 10-21-2010, 07:29 PM
jj123van is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by cfgtts
When I had my 06, 997. It turned out to be the easiest car to change the oil, I have ever done! DIY for somethings!
I would try to DIY for the oil change.

Does anyone know what does the 24k miles/ 30k km "minor maintenance" consist of?

Also, what is the easiest/least costly way to get rid of the "service now" message for a '09 997?

Thanks!

Thanks!

Old 10-21-2010, 07:32 PM
0luke1 is infamous around these parts
I have to say that if it weren't for Princeton Porsche, I wouldn't be such an enthusiast. I actually enjoy going to get service (especially when its covered by warranty).

They're not perfect - but pretty close - and always professional. I get the definite impression that they're happy when I'm happy. I also get the right advice, even if it has to be on the "down low".

Two cars ago, I had an STS-V - decent car - but getting service was a HORRIBLE experience.

Old 10-22-2010, 03:13 PM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
People make mistakes - it is how they take care of them that counts.

Just had an unintended service experience at Jack Ingram in Montgomery AL - really nice people there. Although a wheel newbie put my center cap on facing some odd direction and not toward the valve stem - no big deal though - I'd go there any day. Excellent customer service.

Old 10-22-2010, 08:25 PM
BoxsterG is infamous around these parts
Why do people associate the amount of money you paid for a car with the type of service you receive? I always verify whether the dealer can offer me quality service or whether to take my vehicle to a location that I beleive is qualified. I have purchased from all 3 of the dealers in town but only choose to use one specific dealer in town.
The amount of money a car cost does not determine what kind of service I will receive. In fact, this is why my wife has decided she will not own another BMW as a result of the service quality.
Take the time to determine whether the dealer has a good reputation on repairs from someone in your area that has purchased a few cars in the past. If that is not possible then speak with a few individuals who have had service at that dealer. It is also good to contact a few independant shops if possible.

Last edited by BoxsterG; 10-23-2010 at 01:25 PM.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:39 PM
larrytrk is infamous around these parts
I agree with Olkue1, Princeton Porsche is excellent in both Sales and esp. Service.
They have worked on my cars since 97, and go nowhere else for sales or service.