997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Um...bad service experience.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 10:24 AM
chance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to behold
Um...bad service experience.

So I take my 997 in for the typical 24k mile service, which is a minor maintenance. It rings up at about $480, which makes me want a BMW. But I can't, I love the 997. So anyway after I pay I walk out to the lot and take a look to make sure everything is ok, as I always do before I leave the lot.

So I pop the engine cover and lo and behold, the coolant expansion tank cap is off and laying near the engine, and there is coolant splashed to the left of the engine. So naturally I go and get the service mgr.

Apologies were given by the mechanic and they cleaned up the mess (which wasn't too bad), but what would you have done in this situation, after paying $480??

Old 10-19-2010, 10:55 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by chance6
...but what would you have done in this situation, after paying $480??
...learn to DIY.

But seriously. It's doubtful that you will recover the $480 or receive a discount. Stories like this have been posted many times. Unfortunately, your only recourse may be to find a more technically competent service department/dealership.

Last edited by bbywu; 10-19-2010 at 10:57 AM.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:04 AM
NC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by chance6
Apologies were given by the mechanic and they cleaned up the mess (which wasn't too bad), but what would you have done in this situation, after paying $480??
Bottom line: When you're working on a $90K vehicle, you shouldn't have to 'apologize' for anything. Something as simple as leaving a cap unsecured is understandable, unless you do it for a living. A simple double-check to ensure that all caps are where they're supposed to be, along with the oil pan drain bolt, 'oil' is in the pan (how many of us have heard stories where the quick change oil service place sent a car away without oil in the pan..), and a quick wipe-up of any fluids that may have spilled always goes a long way when it comes to 'quality service'.

Now you'll be hesitant to take it back.. and when you do.. will you 'wonder'..

Old 10-19-2010, 11:31 AM
jj123van is infamous around these parts
$480 for 24k maintenance doesn't seem too bad compare to here in Vancouver.

My first 12k service was around $650CDN. And I'm due for my 24k maintenance soon. So I called up the local dealer and see how much it would cost.... it's going to be $850 + 12%tax = $952Cdn.

Old 10-19-2010, 11:35 AM
mshanler has a spectacular aura aboutmshanler has a spectacular aura aboutmshanler has a spectacular aura about
In many P- service departments, the head mechanic works exclusively on the more complicated issues (engine, transmission...), while the other cast of characters perform the scheduled maintenance.

A loose cap is pretty minor, so I'd probably let this incident slide...but it could be a symptom of a rush job. I definitely would have put on an FDA quality auditor hat on...and asked some questions (e.g "Did you road test the car before or after checking the engine bay?" Is the person that did the fluids the same as the person that checked my brakes? Is the road test the very last thing performed before the hand wash?". WTH - Did the same guy do my brakes, too? ha ha...not etc.)

Good catch inspecting your engine bay before driving off!

Old 10-19-2010, 11:50 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jj123van
$480 for 24k maintenance doesn't seem too bad compare to here in Vancouver.

My first 12k service was around $650CDN. And I'm due for my 24k maintenance soon. So I called up the local dealer and see how much it would cost.... it's going to be $850 + 12%tax = $952Cdn.
That is insane, have you talked to some of the independents?

Old 10-19-2010, 01:04 PM
jabed92694 is infamous around these parts
Independant Service

I would highly recommend a good Porsche Certified independant mechanic. These guys are Porsche factory trained (and most of the time used to previously work for Porsche delarships) and use all OEM parts and labour is a hell of alot cheaper. Also these guys take more time and probably would not forget the simple thing of putting a cap back on mostly becasue they are not pushing large volumes of cars throught their bays and take more time per car. These guys are usually more thorough in my experience than most dealers. I take mine to a Certified Porsche independant and the factory 24k and all minor service is just a quick visual inspection, fluid top off, oil change, air filter change and cabin filter change. Here's what I do.....go to Porsche parts department at your local dealer and buy the cabin and air filter and replace yourself in 5 mins (no joke) and save any dealer charging you an hour labour for this. Then take your car to a Certified independant and have them do your oil change...will cost like $150 for the oil change. So you just saved yourself $300 in labour and no one forgets to put the cap back on !!

Old 10-19-2010, 01:14 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jabed92694
I would highly recommend a good Porsche Certified independant mechanic. These guys are Porsche factory trained (and most of the time used to previously work for Porsche delarships) and use all OEM parts and labour is a hell of alot cheaper. Also these guys take more time and probably would not forget the simple thing of putting a cap back on mostly becasue they are not pushing large volumes of cars throught their bays and take more time per car. These guys are usually more thorough in my experience than most dealers. I take mine to a Certified Porsche independant and the factory 24k and all minor service is just a quick visual inspection, fluid top off, oil change, air filter change and cabin filter change. Here's what I do.....go to Porsche parts department at your local dealer and buy the cabin and air filter and replace yourself in 5 mins (no joke) and save any dealer charging you an hour labour for this. Then take your car to a Certified independant and have them do your oil change...will cost like $150 for the oil change. So you just saved yourself $300 in labour and no one forgets to put the cap back on !!
I've not heard the term "Porsche Certified" independant mechanic - do they go through a special training program and get something from Porsche with this designation?

Old 10-19-2010, 02:32 PM
pvanosta is just really nicepvanosta is just really nicepvanosta is just really nicepvanosta is just really nicepvanosta is just really nice
He probably means they are Porsche trained and used to work at a dealership at some point before going into business for themselves.

I have one right next door to my office. He is a "Factory Trained Porsche Master Technician".

Used to work at Porsche Beverly Hills for years. Now has his own shop and does great work at half the dealership price.

And he is friendly and helpful, both qualities I have also found lacking at my local dealership.

Old 10-19-2010, 03:05 PM
rossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud of
When you take your car to a professional you shouldnt have to worry about this. They are the professionals and should do professional work. You check your car after you take it to the dealer most dont and wouldnt even know what to look at. Situations like this really irk me......you are paid to do a job dont do it half ***.

Old 10-19-2010, 03:26 PM
Mark Ducati is infamous around these partsMark Ducati is infamous around these parts
Just curious... sorry to hear about the mishap, but what IF you had driven down the road and blown your motor? Think the dealership would own up seeing all the coolant sprayed in the engine?

Old 10-19-2010, 03:27 PM
Mark Ducati is infamous around these partsMark Ducati is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
I've not heard the term "Porsche Certified" independant mechanic - do they go through a special training program and get something from Porsche with this designation?
I made a new contact in North Georgia... this guy is an independent, used to build 650-850hp motors for Porsche Racing... he is certified, but only for extended warranties now. He's a master Porsche technician, I'll let ya know what his fees will be for lowering my car... that's next on the list for me

Old 10-19-2010, 04:54 PM
carrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant future
Its amazing how they treat you at the dealership considering you dropped 90k+ on a car. I tried 3 dealers in ny all bigger ****** then another i ask a simple question and i get a attitude back. Isnt the dealer suppose to kiss our asses hence were not driving toyotas. There should be no reason for you to check your car before leaving the dealership i could imagine if you drove off with the cap off. Bottom line there should be no room for errors on a car like ours..

Old 10-19-2010, 06:05 PM
pvanosta is just really nicepvanosta is just really nicepvanosta is just really nicepvanosta is just really nicepvanosta is just really nice
I couldn't agree more. Porsche has a LOT to learn about customer service.

My other car for a while was a Mini Cooper S, serviced by Crevier BMW in Santa Ana, CA.

Never in my 30 years of owning cars on 3 continents have I been treated more nicely and more efficiently than at that dealership, even though I was 'just' driving a Mini, which I didn't even buy from that dealership.
They treated me like a king. And if I needed a loaner, it was always a higher end BMW 3 series (335i, 335 coupe, etc.)

I have tried Porsche Newport Beach and Circle Porsche in Long Beach. They are all the same. You're made to feel like you're a burden to them. They show ZERO desire to help you or service your car.

These people are living on a false sense of entitlement and it would behove Porsche to take a leaf out of BMW's book...

Old 10-19-2010, 06:12 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by pvanosta
I couldn't agree more. Porsche has a LOT to learn about customer service.

My other car for a while was a Mini Cooper S, serviced by Crevier BMW in Santa Ana, CA.

Never in my 30 years of owning cars on 3 continents have I been treated more nicely and more efficiently than at that dealership, even though I was 'just' driving a Mini, which I didn't even buy from that dealership.
They treated me like a king. And if I needed a loaner, it was always a higher end BMW 3 series (335i, 335 coupe, etc.)

I have tried Porsche Newport Beach and Circle Porsche in Long Beach. They are all the same. You're made to feel like you're a burden to them. They show ZERO desire to help you or service your car.

These people are living on a false sense of entitlement and it would behove Porsche to take a leaf out of BMW's book...
I don't think that it is fair to paint all dealers with the same broad stroke, they are different businesses, all selling the same product. All manufactures try to push for the highest customer service out from there dealer network.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Um...bad service experience.