997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Walmart Battery Ever Start Maxx 49

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 04:11 PM
1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all
Stay with what you have. It will not damage the car; what you HAVE is something with far more CCA than what you had- a BIG plus, IMHO. A very robust battery. It's not like it will fry your car or something.

Old 11-09-2010, 07:29 PM
norton has a spectacular aura aboutnorton has a spectacular aura aboutnorton has a spectacular aura about
Cool Also something to consider....

in addition to the CCA rating is the Reserve rating. The OEM battery has a pretty high reserve rating (minutes) due to the rather large drain on a Porsche's battery-- the alarm, the rear fan if the car is turned off hot (as frequently happens in Phoenix where I live), and all the computers and electrical devices in the car. I replaced mine with an Optimas because of the long life and the fact that I don't want to mess with replacing a battery period, etc. But I neglected to notice and consider that the reserve minutes are MUCH less on the Optimus red top (starting battery as opposed to a low and long discharge marine battery, etc) than the OEM battery and size. I haven't had any problems yet (over a year), but I did notice after over 2 weeks of non-use the car struggled to turn over. And then I compared battery stats and noticed the difference.

Food for thought....

Old 11-10-2010, 10:03 AM
djlod is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by norton
in addition to the CCA rating is the Reserve rating. The OEM battery has a pretty high reserve rating (minutes) due to the rather large drain on a Porsche's battery-- the alarm, the rear fan if the car is turned off hot (as frequently happens in Phoenix where I live), and all the computers and electrical devices in the car. I replaced mine with an Optimas because of the long life and the fact that I don't want to mess with replacing a battery period, etc. But I neglected to notice and consider that the reserve minutes are MUCH less on the Optimus red top (starting battery as opposed to a low and long discharge marine battery, etc) than the OEM battery and size. I haven't had any problems yet (over a year), but I did notice after over 2 weeks of non-use the car struggled to turn over. And then I compared battery stats and noticed the difference.

Food for thought....
Do you know what the reserve rating is for our OEM battery?

Old 11-10-2010, 10:30 AM
norton has a spectacular aura aboutnorton has a spectacular aura aboutnorton has a spectacular aura about
Talking OEM Battery Reserve Rating...

Not specifically-- and accurately. But I remember being suprised about how high it was in comparison to the Optima-- I THINK it was like 130 minutes. The OEM battery in my 997.1S was quite a large and heavy battery. I checked online the specs on the Optima -- it's 100 minutes. Not sure I would have installed the Optima had I known the reserve rating was so low in comparision before I bought it, but the Optima has so many other advantages that I still might have. I can drive the car all year long in Phoenix, so it really isn't much of an issue. And the Optima lasts so much longer than a conventional battery-- at least out here-- that I probably would have anyway. I hate changing batteries-- especially on this car!

Old 11-11-2010, 05:40 AM
dndodd is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by djlod
I bought a car battery at Walmart for my 2006 997 C2.
I had to replace the OEM Moll battery.
The model I bought was the Ever Start Maxx 49 (according to the battery computer and handbook at Walmart).
930 cranking amps / 850 cold cranking amps.
The new battery works great, and it fits well in the tray.
The price was $77.
I noticed that a few other users/members bought car batteries at Walmart, but the model they purchased was the Maxx 94R.
Did I buy the correct battery?
Thank you in advance.
I bought the Duralast 49DL from Autozone a couple of years ago. It is the same battery made by the same MFG as the Maxx 49 you bought from Wal-Mart. It has worked fine.

Next time I will buy it from Wal-mart. It was slightly longer than than the stock battery and I had to use an aircraft nut in the last hole of the battery tray.

Old 11-11-2010, 06:44 PM
djlod is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by dndodd
I bought the Duralast 49DL from Autozone a couple of years ago. It is the same battery made by the same MFG as the Maxx 49 you bought from Wal-Mart. It has worked fine.

Next time I will buy it from Wal-mart. It was slightly longer than than the stock battery and I had to use an aircraft nut in the last hole of the battery tray.
Thanks for the reply dndodd.
I'm planning on keeping the Maxx 49.
Next time, I'll go with the Maxx 94R.
I'll post something if anything odd comes up.