997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

is tire sealant worth it?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 01:52 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
is tire sealant worth it?

my rear left PA2 tire started to misbehave - it looses 2-4psi within a week when car sits in the garage. local morons cannot find out anything wrong with it.
what to do other than to replace it? will tire sealant going to help with such slow small leak?

Old 11-03-2010, 02:39 PM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
that's a pretty decent leak

check the valve stem if not the tire - find more competent tire dudes.

Old 11-03-2010, 02:46 PM
PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !
A tire sealant would probably work on your small leak but I strongly suspect that the sealant will screw up your tire's air pressure sensor. Have you had the tire broken down to inspect the tire's bead and/or the wheel/tire mounting surface for any defects? If you do decide to replace the tire remember that tires should always be replaced in pairs (two fronts or two rears). If you don't you'll probably end up with a handling issue.

Old 11-03-2010, 02:49 PM
maxzboy is infamous around these parts
I'm having the same problem. Car only gets driven on the weekend, and I almost have to fill it up once a month.

Old 11-03-2010, 03:26 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
I would suspect that it is the valve as well, and wouldn't use the sealant unless I needed to re inflate to get home or to the shop to get it fixed. I have heard that using the sealant will ruin the tire as it won't likely balance properly after it is used.

Old 11-03-2010, 03:28 PM
Steamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond repute
Is it possible that the pressure loss is simply due to lower ambient temperatures this time of year? Is your garage heated? Do you take the pressure early in the morning before things warm up? Just askin'.....

Old 11-03-2010, 04:51 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
it's not that hard to detect the leak. put the wheel in a large bucket and see where the bubble comes from. a tire shop often sprays soap to find leak too.

it's either you have a nail, bent rim, failed patch/plug, weak sidewall or bad stem.

have it fixed properly. the sealant is used only as a last resort for getting into a shop. it's a temporary fix.

Old 11-03-2010, 05:38 PM
MarathonBob has a spectacular aura aboutMarathonBob has a spectacular aura aboutMarathonBob has a spectacular aura about
I've had this problem in the past with a non Porsche. Took the wheel/tire off, put it in a small children's plastic pool and let it sit. It was a slow leak as well, but sure enough, after a few hours, you could see where the air was escaping.

Old 11-03-2010, 05:48 PM
996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold
Arrow IMHO, no...

...tire sealant is not worth it... It has the capacity to ruin wheels.

Old 11-03-2010, 07:18 PM
tejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud of
same problem as OP. Had P-dealer look ( $25 ) at it when it was in for other thing and was told nothing wrong, "normal to lose a little air". Ridiculous answer of course. Took the car to my normal tire guy and he found a small nail with the head worn off in about 30 seconds.

Old 11-04-2010, 09:41 AM
jakesdad is a jewel in the roughjakesdad is a jewel in the roughjakesdad is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by djantlive
it's not that hard to detect the leak. put the wheel in a large bucket and see where the bubble comes from. a tire shop often sprays soap to find leak too.

it's either you have a nail, bent rim, failed patch/plug, weak sidewall or bad stem.

have it fixed properly. the sealant is used only as a last resort for getting into a shop. it's a temporary fix.
I use the soap method... I had a super slow leak and it turned out to be a paper staple... very, very small bubbles after an hour or so... leak can't hide from soap....

Old 11-04-2010, 12:03 PM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
tire sealant will cause problems with ur TPMS.. best to avoid it.

most of time, it the loose/or over-tightened valve stem like others suggested.

otherwise, u would have to find the leak using the water/soap.

if the leak is found on the tire, u can prob get it fixed, unless its near the sidewall, in which case, tire replacement would be recommended.

BOL

Old 11-04-2010, 08:42 PM
cbzzoom is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by djantlive
it's not that hard to detect the leak. put the wheel in a large bucket and see where the bubble comes from.
you must have a really really big bucket