997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Holy Molly! How much do you pay for an oil change?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 09:26 AM
jakesdad is a jewel in the roughjakesdad is a jewel in the roughjakesdad is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by og risker
I pay Toyota $35 four times a year = $140/yr for oil changes on my truck

& I only avg one oil change a year for the P-car @ $150-180, so I dont think its that bad...

IMO
Not sure I understand the logic on that but OK...

I negociated(sp) my first oil change into the original price of the car. I didn't know the price prior to taking it in for the change...They quoted $250. for an oil change... I'll be taking it to an independent or doing it myself from now on. I knew in advance that service was expensive but I didn't think it was ridiculous.. I can't imagine what kind of a feeling it would have been if I was quoted $400+ for the service.
Fortunately I enjoy working on my cars and it will be fun doing it myself.
Doing it myself will allow me to save money to spend on the really serious problems with the car.. Hopefully there won't be anything "serious".

Old 11-04-2010, 10:23 AM
jimny is infamous around these parts
What do you guys do with your used oil? I used to take it back to the dealer where I buy the oil from. If I get it online or walmart where is the best place to drop them off?

Old 11-04-2010, 10:26 AM
Originally Posted by jakesdad
Not sure I understand the logic on that but OK...

I negociated(sp) my first oil change into the original price of the car. I didn't know the price prior to taking it in for the change...They quoted $250. for an oil change... I'll be taking it to an independent or doing it myself from now on. I knew in advance that service was expensive but I didn't think it was ridiculous.. I can't imagine what kind of a feeling it would have been if I was quoted $400+ for the service.
Fortunately I enjoy working on my cars and it will be fun doing it myself.
Doing it myself will allow me to save money to spend on the really serious problems with the car.. Hopefully there won't be anything "serious".
That is what the warranty is for. Get them done as soon as you see problems since sometimes it take a couple of tries for dealers to get the repairs done correctly. That is why I did the oil change at the dealer, same opportunity to get warranty work done. But at $400, I guess I will have to make separate trips...

Old 11-04-2010, 10:39 AM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by jimny
I have DIY oil changes on my cars in the past but recent ownership of BMW's have spoiled me that I got lazy and decided to have the Porsche dealer do the change. 09 C2 with 5800 miles but it is a year old so the service light came on. I also had some warranty work to be done so figure kill two birds with one stone. I paid $405... Is this excessive or is this normal for a Porsche?

What do you guys pay for an oil change?

Service due to the service light and oil change are not the same thing - or they shouldn't be.

$405 for 1st yr service doesn't seem too bad (relatively speaking )

Old 11-04-2010, 10:43 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
What do you guys do with your used oil? I used to take it back to the dealer where I buy the oil from. If I get it online or walmart where is the best place to drop them off?
jiffy lube or valvoline or I think any instant oil change station takes back used oil for free. i bring it to local valvoline station we have in natick.

i use this pan:
http://www.amazon.com/Wedco-12-1-Qua...=pd_sbs_auto_1

it is crazy convinient - no spills, it lies flat under car and fits fine with no lift needed. 45 min deal if you like to wait for all oil to drip back.

now with ln engineering filter adapter it will be even faster.

oil gets from here:
http://store.avlube.com/mobil15w50.html

and add STP oil treatment, 1 blue bottle, simplest to get it from local autozone.

Last edited by utkinpol; 11-04-2010 at 10:53 AM.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:52 AM
Originally Posted by stevepow
Service due to the service light and oil change are not the same thing - or they shouldn't be.

$405 for 1st yr service doesn't seem too bad (relatively speaking )

Unfortunately it is not the service light. My error, it was the oil service indication with the days and miles left. I study the invoice closely yesterday and it was only for the oil and filter change hence I quoted the labor on a previous post with the straight labor charge for the oil change...

Trust me, I liked the dealer, I wanted to make all kinds of excuses for them but it seems rather conclusive that they are over priced.

Old 11-04-2010, 10:55 AM
Originally Posted by utkinpol
jiffy lube or valvoline or I think any instant oil change station takes back used oil for free. i bring it to local valvoline station we have in natick.

i use this pan:
http://www.amazon.com/Plastics-Group-W78-Drain-Container/dp/B000HEBYYU/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1288888585&sr=8-7

it is crazy convinient - no spills, it lies flat under car and fits fine with no lift needed. 45 min deal if you like to wait for all oil to drip back.

now with ln engineering filter adapter it will be even faster.

oil gets from here:
http://store.avlube.com/mobil15w50.html

and add STP oil treatment, 1 blue bottle, simplest to get it from local autozone.
Thanks for all the links.

So the pan is big enough for the 10 liters without having to stop?
Do you just bring the pan and empty it out at the lube station?

Please enlighten me on the difference between the LN Filter mod vs the standard filter. I have a 09, from some of the quick reading, the filter has been relocated to an easier location already?

Old 11-04-2010, 11:10 AM
endo911 is infamous around these parts
Thanks for all the links.

So the pan is big enough for the 10 liters without having to stop?
Do you just bring the pan and empty it out at the lube station?

Please enlighten me on the difference between the LN Filter mod vs the standard filter. I have a 09, from some of the quick reading, the filter has been relocated to an easier location already?
The LN allows you to use a standard filter found at any auto parts house. Its a very simple thread on filter rather than the porsche filter. Go to
http://www.lnengineering.com/spinonfilteradapter.html

There is a pretty good description of the product. The magnetic drain plug is a good idea as well. I recently bought the whole kit to make DIY changes easier. I don't have a dealer in the area and can't see paying $150 for an oil change, much less than $400.

Im wondering if they did the 1 yr service and just didn't note in in the statement. That could be where all the labor charges came in as its just a mechanic giving the car a thorough check, i.e. time.

Old 11-04-2010, 11:39 AM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
holy cow ! for changing a filter and draining some oil ??

i also got the LN kit and plan on doing my own oil change from now on.

Last time, i took it to a sponsored vendor here, RSS/Stuttgard Performance, for an oil change and Bryan just comped it ! I feel even luckier now.. $400+ is excessive !!

Old 11-04-2010, 11:40 AM
doug2255 has a spectacular aura aboutdoug2255 has a spectacular aura about
I too decided to let the dealer do my 1st oil change. I knew it would be expensive, but since this was brand new P-car dealer, I decided to see what their "service" was like.

Well - $315.95! (1.5 hrs - $187.50); Oil - $69.03; Alum Seal Ring - $1.61; Oil-filter insert - $30.10; O-ring - $10.39 + tax $17.92.

I also had some other MOD stuff installed (Sport Mode Software Control Kit and the Multi Function Steering Wheel). They also overcharged me about 1.5 - 2.0 hours labor for this also!

Last time I have this dealer, or probably any dealer do my oil changes. From now on - DYI.

Old 11-04-2010, 02:59 PM
Originally Posted by doug2255
I too decided to let the dealer do my 1st oil change. I knew it would be expensive, but since this was brand new P-car dealer, I decided to see what their "service" was like.

Well - $315.95! (1.5 hrs - $187.50); Oil - $69.03; Alum Seal Ring - $1.61; Oil-filter insert - $30.10; O-ring - $10.39 + tax $17.92.

I also had some other MOD stuff installed (Sport Mode Software Control Kit and the Multi Function Steering Wheel). They also overcharged me about 1.5 - 2.0 hours labor for this also!

Last time I have this dealer, or probably any dealer do my oil changes. From now on - DYI.

That's how I felt! I wanted to baby my car for its first oil change.

Old 11-04-2010, 04:17 PM
w00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond repute
$185.00 here too. Next time I'll ask for the PCA discount. Thanks Adias.

Old 11-04-2010, 04:55 PM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by endo911
Get the Screw on adapter kit from LN engineering (see the post "OCD oil Change on the Red Dragon"). It uses a napa filter for a late model corvette that any oil change place will have. With the extra oil......$60.
Am jacking the thread but... any issues with the LN conversion ? Have looked at doing the same but am curious how those who have done it feel about the product. Have heard that the spin on filters are superior to the standard Porsche refills. Any thoughts ?

Old 11-04-2010, 07:37 PM
GIjbop is infamous around these partsGIjbop is infamous around these parts
$250 for first service oil and filter change at independent shop. Quoted $480 CDN at dealership.

Old 11-04-2010, 08:19 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
After I did it myself the first time, I couldn't believe why everyone doesn't DIY. No brainer.

One best practice that I recommend: when you change the oil and filter, take the filter apart: cut the top and bottom ends (they are white and round) off, and slice down one of the splines. Unroll the filter- it'll be several feet long, like an accordion all stretched out. You are looking for any metallic flakes, slivers, splinters, etc. These are bad signs. If you see anything at all like this, take a sample of your waste oil in for analysis.

Full spectrum analysis can reveal what metals are present in the oil, and that can tell you what may be about to fail: bearing, valve, ring, etc.
CATTMAN

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Holy Molly! How much do you pay for an oil change?