997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Holy Molly! How much do you pay for an oil change?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 10:10 PM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
Free!!!!!! For first time customer's but they did have the price and it will cost me $165.00 next time at a local Porsche dealership.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:46 AM
tejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud of
Two days ago I got an advertisement about some positive changes from Porsche of Ocala (Florida), now known as Gettel Porsche. Called them a few minutes ago and asked about the price of an oil change. $375 !!! For $520 they'll do a "20,000 mile" which is oil change + cabin and air filters + "reset" the lights. What a deal!

Last edited by tejoe; 04-08-2011 at 01:34 PM.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:58 AM
Ranger911 is infamous around these parts
Insult to Injury

Parts from Suncoast, oil from Wal-Mart. I enjoy doing my own maintenance. However, the 1 year maintenance light went on (car is 2010 with 5,500 mi.) Dealership charged me $99.95 plus tax simply to turn the light off. Inexcusable.

Can you say Durametric?

Old 04-09-2011, 01:56 PM
slant83 has a spectacular aura aboutslant83 has a spectacular aura aboutslant83 has a spectacular aura about
..I usually get the dealer coupons for $99 oil changes. Having three porsches, it always seems I have a coupon in stock. Now for brake fluid flushes......$$$

Old 04-09-2011, 03:37 PM
ecostellodo is infamous around these parts
20K service
replaced cabin and air filter
brake flush

$493 at my indy shop.

Old 04-11-2011, 02:51 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by tejoe
Two days ago I got an advertisement about some positive changes from Porsche of Ocala (Florida), now known as Gettel Porsche. Called them a few minutes ago and asked about the price of an oil change. $375 !!! For $520 they'll do a "20,000 mile" which is oil change + cabin and air filters + "reset" the lights. What a deal!
So for the extra $145, what is the cost of the cabin air filter and the engine air filter element?

I've never gotten the whole 'reset the lights' thing. If there was a fault code, they should check what the issue is, not just reset it. If there isn't a fault code, there's nothing to reset.

Old 04-11-2011, 07:56 PM
Qualeek has a spectacular aura aboutQualeek has a spectacular aura aboutQualeek has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by adias
I've seen $89 as a courtesy price. Of course the dealer gets oil at bulk pricing, but $89 is not a routine price. Take it while they offer it to you.

Not all dealers use bulk oil. Mine uses by the quart, $199 oil change. Was 400 before some changes were made.

And think guys, there are some pretty good techs not making a living because the place they work is expensive for an oil change. Its not there fault. Honestly, its unfair. To do the oil change yourself....and bring your squeeks and rattles to the dealer so the tech can spend hours trying to fix it only to get paid for 20 min. of it. Maybe if there were no DIY's the price would be able to come down. Food for thought.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:28 PM
JohnAMG is infamous around these parts
Just paid $460 for 2 year service 2 weeks ago. It included oil change, brake fluid flush and other minor inspection like duct cleaning etc. It is still under warranty and I decided to stick with the dealer for now.

John

Old 04-11-2011, 08:38 PM
Qualeek has a spectacular aura aboutQualeek has a spectacular aura aboutQualeek has a spectacular aura about
Atta-boy John

Old 04-11-2011, 08:51 PM
JTaylorGT has a spectacular aura aboutJTaylorGT has a spectacular aura about
$212 here in Atlanta - oil change only.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:58 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by tejoe
If the $520 includes wiper blades, then I'm in!

b

Old 04-12-2011, 05:06 AM
tejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Qualeek
.............Its not there fault. Honestly, its unfair. To do the oil change yourself....and bring your squeeks and rattles to the dealer.............

What?? I don't want to turn this into a political forum but I should not fix my leaky faucet myself and then call the plumbing shop to send some 'underpaid' apprentice over for my plugged toilet?

Old 04-12-2011, 08:38 AM
mjsporsche is a jewel in the roughmjsporsche is a jewel in the roughmjsporsche is a jewel in the roughmjsporsche is a jewel in the rough
Interesting discussions on the pros and cons of using a dealer or DYI.

I was on the fence about doing the oil change myself and even ordered a Mahle oil filter cartridge. Not that difficult to perform the oil change. Much easier than on my old 993.

However, I decided to let my long time (30+ year relationship) dealer change the oil and check over the entire car. I have a new to me 2008 C2 S and 1 year left on the warranty. I asked for a discount and was provided one. Paid $200 out the door. They usually charge $249. But the added benefit of having the dealership do the work, and have the mechanic who I know for 30 years to look it over, was that I asked them to check over the car and they investigated a slight problem I was having with the passenger side window. New window motor is now on order which is being covered by warranty.

(1) Did I pay more than doing it myself? Absolutely.

(2) For a car that cost in excess of $100K, am I looking to save $100 a year. No.

(3) Is there some added value when selling the car to show that the car was serviced by an authorized dealer? Some would say yes. I would say yes. Others might say that if you have the records of work done, there is no difference.

As to pricing. I called 5 dealerships in the NJ area. They were all around $200-to $299. I know that there are some that will charge in the mid $300s.

IMHO, as long as the car is in warranty, let the dealer earn a few bucks and it will pay dividends in the long run.

Last edited by mjsporsche; 04-12-2011 at 11:54 AM.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:49 AM
Originally Posted by mjsporsche
Interesting discussions on the pros and cons of using a dealer or DYI.

I was on the fence about doing the oil change myself and even ordered a Mahle oil filter cartridge. Not that difficult to perform the oil change. Much easier than on my old 993.

However, I decided to let my long time (30+ year relationship) dealer change the oil and check over the entire car. I have a new to me 2008 C2 S and 1 year left on the warranty. I asked for a discount and was provided one. Paid $200 out the door. They usually charge $249. But the added benefit of having the dealership do the work, and have the mechanic who I know for 30 years to look it over, was that I asked them to check over the car and they investigated a slight problem I was having with the passenger side window. New window motor is now on order which is being covered by warranty.

(1) Did I pay more than doing it myself? Absolutely.

(2) For a car that cost in excess of $100K, am I looking to save $100 a year. No.

(3) Is there some added value when selling the car to show that the car was serviced by an authorized dealer? Some would say yes. I would say yes. Others might say that if you have the records of work done, there is no difference.

As to pricing. I called 5 dealerships in the NJ area. They were all around $200-to $299. I know that there are some that will charge in the mid $300s.

IMHO, as long as the car is in warranty, let the dealer earn a few bucks and it will pay dividends in the long run.
Dude, your my hero
+1 to everything you just said.
And think, 30 years ago that tech was just.........an apprentice.

Old 04-12-2011, 09:59 AM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by mjsporsche
I wholeheartedly agree that it's wise to consider the relationships and not just the hard dollars. A good dealer will always inspect the car when performing a service. I had a flat changed at the dealer over the winter and without my asking, they did a full inspection, and replaced a weak sounding horn.

The relationships cuts both ways though. I like to give my Indy business when I can so I keep getting the best pricing and service. I'm recently out of warranty though.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Holy Molly! How much do you pay for an oil change?