997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

991 Exterior Design - Rear Spoiler Uncovered

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 08:18 AM
dallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant future
991 Exterior Design - Rear Spoiler Uncovered

Well, it appears as though the exterior design details of the 991 are slowly being revealed. In these images, you can see that the moving rear engine cover is being replaced with a flip-up rear spoiler. This spoiler is part of a sculpted rear-end in in the shape of a spoiler. Being that the pics from this site are watermarked, not sure if I can display them here, but here's the URL to the page:

http://www.motorauthority.com/image/...olet-spy-shots

http://www.motorauthority.com/image/...olet-spy-shots

Even though there's still some camo covering the rear bumper, it appears as though the rear bumper is a more rounded shape than today. also a little difficult to tell how the engine cover is shaped and how it will open/close. These pics are of the cabrio, so that complicates it given the moving cabrio cover.

I'm sure I'll grow to like the new look, but I've grown fond of the sliding engine cover design for the current spoiler. But I'm also fairly sure that I'll enjoy increased performance than changes to spoiler design

Old 11-04-2010, 08:26 AM
Arerrac911 has a brilliant futureArerrac911 has a brilliant futureArerrac911 has a brilliant futureArerrac911 has a brilliant futureArerrac911 has a brilliant futureArerrac911 has a brilliant futureArerrac911 has a brilliant futureArerrac911 has a brilliant futureArerrac911 has a brilliant futureArerrac911 has a brilliant futureArerrac911 has a brilliant future
That rear spoiler might be just for the turbo models, as you can see the side air intake infront of the rear guard...

Old 11-04-2010, 08:26 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
It is an interesting change, but good to see that the current 997 won't look to dated when next to the new version. Wait the 1964 911 looks almost the same as well!

Old 11-04-2010, 08:34 AM
dallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Arerrac911
That rear spoiler might be just for the turbo models, as you can see the side air intake infront of the rear guard...
That side air intake is a sticker, been on all of the 991 prototypes that we've seen. Since the Turbo models typically launch a couple of years after the new model launch, I doubt this is a turbo proto.

Also found this article, shows more pics, including coupe models. The new spoiler is a little larger/wider than I originally thought.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/11/03/s...its-new-lines/

Old 11-04-2010, 08:35 AM
rubber_ducky is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Arerrac911
Those intakes aren't real. Just a sticker.

Old 11-04-2010, 08:45 AM
Arerrac911 has a brilliant futureArerrac911 has a brilliant futureArerrac911 has a brilliant futureArerrac911 has a brilliant futureArerrac911 has a brilliant futureArerrac911 has a brilliant futureArerrac911 has a brilliant futureArerrac911 has a brilliant futureArerrac911 has a brilliant futureArerrac911 has a brilliant futureArerrac911 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by wjohnson36
That side air intake is a sticker, been on all of the 991 prototypes that we've seen. Since the Turbo models typically launch a couple of years after the new model launch, I doubt this is a turbo proto.

Also found this article, shows more pics, including coupe models. The new spoiler is a little larger/wider than I originally thought.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/11/03/s...its-new-lines/
I see what you mean. Personally, I do like the wider spoiler and the sculpted rear end design. I'm sure it'd look even better when we see it in the flesh(metal) for the first time.

Old 11-04-2010, 10:00 AM
sin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond repute
Why is there such a huge gap between the front fender and wheel? Is the front higher than 997? A change in design? Or did I just forget how high the front of my car was when stock...

Old 11-04-2010, 10:07 AM
I suspect it's related to wheel size, offset and PASM setting.

Old 11-04-2010, 10:52 AM
jj123van is infamous around these parts
Looks like the current style of rear spoilers are gone.... from the photos, it seems like the new spoilers will be one of those full-length pop up spoiler...

Old 11-04-2010, 11:55 AM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
i like the look of the new rear wing.. it looks wider(longer) and sleeker.

i also like those wheels.. they look super light.

IMO the new 911 will be the best yet. (not sure of the Panamera interior, tho)

guess i better start my 991 fund.

Old 11-04-2010, 08:55 PM
docfink is infamous around these parts
The 3 engine slats look strange, but the new spoiler is an improvement. Let's face it: when ours is deployed, it looks like someone sticking out there tongue. This one fits the overall shape of the car much better, IMO.

Old 11-04-2010, 09:54 PM
jj123van is infamous around these parts
It looks almost as if there won't be access to the engine from the rear.... do you guys think it'll turn to Boxster/Cayman like? Engine only accessible from the bottom?

Old 11-11-2010, 05:22 PM
More updates today...it seems as though the shroud of secrecy is slowly being uncovered. Not much more detail than we saw before, but still more images to wet your appetite...

http://www.motorauthority.com/blog/1...12-porsche-911

Old 11-11-2010, 06:32 PM
996CABOVA is a jewel in the rough996CABOVA is a jewel in the rough996CABOVA is a jewel in the rough
AAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH...I just got my 997.2 Im not even test driving this thing, I have to say I dont like the interior shots ive seen, but I bet its goin to look hot in person. Damn Porsche keeps making better cars

Old 11-11-2010, 09:12 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I really like the new car. Uh oh.....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 991 Exterior Design - Rear Spoiler Uncovered